A good driver replacement for the Klipschorn

volvotreter

quote:

Originally posted by William F. Gil McDermott:

Hmm, very interesting on the updated 1570.

I bought mine several months ago. My recall is red flecks.

You've invited the question: What did they change . . . and if you know, why?

Gil

A fair question.Easier to answer what they didn't change.The model number of the speaker and the diameter of the cone.Their main market for these is car stereo.The tinsel leads are better on the new ones,and the way the tinsel leads are terminated is better.The frame although thinner actually looks stiffer due to the stampings.It didn't sound as good as the old style so I sent the pair back.I do some mods to LaScalla's and these require the woofer to have a Qts~.3 the Fs~30hz and the Vas~10cu ft(similar to the K43).An EV DL15W works ok but is 8 ohms(requiring a network change)and more money.The original Pyramid 1570 worked pretty good and was dirt cheap too.

Thanks, dks. I'll have to figure some repeatable testing conditions and give a full report.

Giving some more thought to the initial question. I agree with John W.

IF the unit is only used for deep bass, and IF efficency is not a consideration, and IF you really want to work with the Khorn, can we alter anything.

The hallmark of the standard design is to get efficency and bandwidth (somewhat in conflict). But we are not too interested in those here.

One thought is that the output is not going to amount to much below the resonant frequency of the driver and chamber combination. That is pretty much set by the size of the chamber. It is determining most of the compliance.

On the other hand, stuffing should increase the effective size of the chamber. Also, there are many drivers with very low resonant frequencies. You might be able to knock down the resonant frequency.

IF I had to experiment, I'd look for a driver with a high Qts up to 0.7 and a low resonance, down around 20 Hz or less. I'd stuff the back chamber with a full load of material. An 8 ohm driver is okay.

My guess is that you're going to wind up with an output somewhat lower in low frequency cut off, with reduced efficency, and unknown smoothness of response.

Consider that you are looking for two octaves out of it from 25 to 100 Hz. I pick those numbers because they are one octave on either side of cut off. That is terra incognito in horn design.

I think it is a grand kludge. But if you are absolutely determined, that is one way.

I've thought about getting another octave of bass below the KHorn. It is not too tough to design and build a band pass sub woofer with a one octave response from 20 to 40 Hz and decent efficency. I'd use that to supplement the bass. That is the way I might go.

Gil

• Like 1