Integrated amp recommendations for RB-3's

tpg

Used Creek, or Cambridge Audio amps sound great. I have an Older Creek 4140 amp that I Was using with my RB 35. Sweet little thing.

I bought HT receivers for my living room and bedroom...........so I don'T need it. I will part with it for 40.00 + 15.00 shipping.

Good Luck in College this year.

I will be using my laptop as the source, which will hurt the sound quality considerably, I am sure...

Does anyone know of any other nice integrateds (or regular power amps, I guess, since I can use the software volume control on my laptop)

Don't under-rate the laptop! It can be used as the center of a system as good as any high dollar audiophile one. They have been used to make some of the best recording out there. It is all in set-up, and associated components. It should sound ok for you now--but think of it as the core/starter of a potentially excellent system (although.....a 'desk-top' might be a bit cheaper/easier, if you don't need the mobility).

Computer based audio is commonly misunderstood as either inherently poor quality, or an easy, 'perfect', signal transfer, digital solution.

In reality it is somewhat tricky to do well (if you are looking for a 'best quality' result), so the output is often far from perfect in practice--but it certainly CAN be done well.

Using an integrated amp is a good idea!--because of.....Computer Audio Tip #1:

Let the media player organize/select the music but use a post D/A conversion analog control (the integrated) for volume adjustment.

In most computer audio applications you do NOT want to use the 'media player' (esp. i-tunes/OS-X) software to modify the signal (e.g., change vol)--it will add distortion.

Mark