What amp should I be getting?

vishaldpatel

Welcome to th forum V. Why not go tubes first and save a lot of time and money. If you stay here long you most likely will end up there. If you are comfortable with tube equipment and up keep try a vintage piece like Scott, Eico, Harmon Kardon, Fisher. Just my opinion but I have had ss and tubes and I prefer tubes.

I understand V. Give us a price range and some particulars such as room size and maybe others will offer suggestions. There may be members on the forum with an amp or receiver for sale. I am using a tubed HK receiver from the early 60s that I bought on Audiogon for $380 in my second system and it sounds wonderful.

Have you listened to your friends Onkyo? If you like it see if you can take it home to audition with your speakers and then decide.

Spend it now, or spend it later.............hold on for Tubes.....Dynaco, Scott, whatever, if two channel is your main interest, go the Tube route, once you hear them, you'll want them, so, get it out of the way now.....buying something else just sets you back.....your money, your choice....

A friend wants to sell his Onkyo TX-8522 100 Watt Stereo Receiver to power the 10.5s. Any thoughts? Should I get another receiver for more / less $? I don't plan to expand the system for more than 2 channels.

Info that is always helpful to have when answering questions like this:

• Your budget
  • Your listening preferences for music
  • A little bit about the room that the speakers / amp / receiver will be used in (dimensions, room treatments, distance from speakers to listening spot(s)
  • Other gear that will be used with the speaker and/amp. For example, if you have a turntable, suggesting a receiver or integrated amp without a phono input would not really be helpful.
Please post back with this or any other helpful info so we can help you out a bit more.