Complete idiot needing help

pkelymd

Perhaps this has already been addressed. If so, please refer me to the proper page.

I just purchased a RW-10D Klipsch subwoofer to connect to my equally new Onkyo receiver. I read the Onkyo instruction for connecting thePowered subwoofer which state

"Using a suitable cable, connect the AV receiver/AV amplifier's PRE OUT SUBWOOFER to an input on your powered subwoofer as shown. "

It then showed a simple picture of a cable going from the PRE OUT subwoofer connection on the back of the Onkyo to a single "line input" hole on the powered subwoofer.

When with great confidence I turned to the back of my RW-10D subwoofer looking for a single input, i was very discouraged to see many inputs. Some were labeled "high level" left and right (positive and negative)........ far too many connections for my single cable output. Then I saw a right and left "line in", but I only have one out put from my receiver???? Do I need a cable that splits right and left???

Then I turned to the manual( useless in many languages) and there was a picture that said "LFE or Sub Output" which appeared to be a single cable going into the left hole of the "line in" pair. Is this where I connect??

Please help a newbie with this question as I have found the instructions from the two companies very confusing

Thank you so very much for your help

Patricia

You need to get a "Y" adapter.......

Really? And why is that? [8-)]

If you're going to give advice around here, please give good advice.

Pkelymd, just simply do what JetSnake said and connect the receiver's sub out to the left (or right) line-in input on the subwoofer as the instructions and diagram in your manual clearly state.

Sometimes a Y-adapter can be helpful in "awakening" the subwoofer when it's in Auto-On mode. Otherwise, it's useless. A better solution to the sub not "awakening" is to simply leave it ON all the time.

Also, just an FYI, as you may have a question about this, when you set the sub's "Lowpass" setting, set it to "Lowpass OFF LFE Mode".

You need to get a "Y" adapter.......

Really? And why is that? [8-)]

If you're going to give advice around here, please give good advice.

Easy now. That's why we have forums; to combat ignorance and stupidity across the galaxy wherever we may encounter it!!! (echo, echo echo)

Just kidding.

Most inputs I see on subs... might have a left or a right input.. If you read the manual.. it really does not matter.... The sub is a mono signal anyhow..

If your pre amp has a left out and a right LFE or sub out, it "may" boost the signal a little if you use both. (This sometimes helps, too)

"Then I turned to the manual( useless in many languages) and there was a
picture that said "LFE or Sub Output" which appeared to be a single
cable going into the left hole of the "line in" pair. Is this where I
connect??"

Yes the manuals do suck, but without that important feature there would be no job for me here.

• 2 weeks later...