Mapleshade and Anti-Cable Speaker Cable Comparison

zuzu

Just a note on Mapleshade (not necessarily anti-cable, but any and all contentions held by the Mapleshade bunch) ...

Have they ever published their experimental procedures so they can be criticized? My curiosity includes experimental designs that use the human ear as a way to assess differences in sound, in all configurations: with case of a single listener over repeated trials, with groups of listeners being exposed to different sonic conditions, and when the above are listening to make judgments, vs. when they are just relaxing and letting the music wash over them, etc., etc.

Since this can all be done with relatively low to relatively high internal and external validity, Mapleshade annoys me when they seem to be saying, "Trust me/us, this will make a big improvement in your sound." Sure, we could buy a bunch of their stuff, but I'm not persuaded that this is a good way to spend my time, energy, and money, without looking over their methodology.

The biggest differences between properly functioning (correct gauge for length, etc) speaker cables from different manufacturers is price, followed in a very distant second by color of the actual cables themselves. Though I will say this spending big bucks on expensive cables is less offensive then say betting on dog fights.

Just a note on Mapleshade (not necessarily anti-cable, but any and all contentions held by the Mapleshade bunch) ...
Have they ever published their experimental procedures so they can be criticized? My curiosity includes experimental designs that use the human ear as a way to assess differences in sound, in all configurations: with case of a single listener over repeated trials, with groups of listeners being exposed to different sonic conditions, and when the above are listening to make judgments, vs. when they are just relaxing and letting the music wash over them, etc., etc.
Since this can all be done with relatively low to relatively high internal and external validity, Mapleshade annoys me when they seem to be saying, "Trust me/us, this will make a big improvement in your sound." Sure, we could buy a bunch of their stuff, but I'm not persuaded that this is a good way to spend my time, energy, and money, without looking over their methodology.

Fisiks? What fisiks? We don't need no stinking fisiks!

What, when the subjectivists will just tell us that it is all feelings and whatever you believe anyway...

Anyone who spends the kind of money they do on exotic interconnects has already convinced themselves that they will hear a difference, hence the purchase. You don't need test results for that, only belief.

Witness so many of the religions, of which audiophilia seems to qualify. I mean really: Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church.

Or to paraphrase Disreali: Where knowledge ends, audiophiles begin.

Or to paraphrase Disreali: Where knowledge ends, audiophiles begin.

WOW! did Disreali really say that????

Yeah, he said exactly that. That is why I paraphrased him instead of quoting him! [*-)]

What he said was, "Where knowledge ends religion begins."

With most, there isn't much difference...

Again with the speaker cables?

$68 will buy you two sets of 12 foot 4 gauge; just cut off the connectors and put on the ones you prefer.

http://coleman-cable.tools-hills.com/Coleman-Cable-Systems-08665-12-Heavy-Duty-4-Gauge-Jumper-Cables-B000022440.htm

I've never understood why nobody has proposed using 0 gage (or bigger... I'd love to see the binding posts!) welding cable thru all this cable madness. VERY high strand count large diameter wire by the foot from any number of local industrial sources.

Did someone say magical?  Try these "Intelligent Chips which are placed on top of you gear.  Check the review:

I'm pretty sure those are PS1 memory cards, but according to the creator (pun intented)  "the Golden Sound Red and Blue, like the original GSIC, employ developments from the frontiers of Quantum Mechanics Theory, trickle-down discoveries from government and private research labs worldwide."

That statement led to this keen observation by the author of the "review":

"Right now, the theories behind Quantum Mechanics has a lot of momentum: it is in vogue with high-end manufacturers, just as cryogenetic freezing was before it."

Lest you think that the effects were limited to the audio spectrum, the review concludes with this observation:

Postscript

Now to those two bottles of red mentioned at the start: they were participant in a ruinous experiment (at any rate, one of them did). We uncorked one bottle and poured some into two clear glasses. Allen then placed one glass on a small wooden box with a panic buttonthis turned out to be the new, improved version of the original Intelligent Chip. He pressed GO, a light came on for half a second, and then stood the two glasses side by side. I am sure you know where this is going: yes, there were easily discerned differences. The GSIC treated wine had become a lighter shade of red, and all four people present agreed its nose had changed. But the taste I unhesitatingly volunteered to be the guinea pig, and can vouch that the GSIC treated red had less bite at the finish and was smoother and sweeter. Actually, it tasted more like grape juice, as if it had returned part way to a pre-fermented state. Rejuvenated, perhaps? I will tell you this: I would not try this experiment with expensive quaff from a good vintage. Marshall Nack

Intelligent Chip

Retail: Blue $50, Red $50 

post-8562-13819344241246_thumb.jpg