Help!!! ProMedia 2.1 Right Channel Does Not Work.

Ibalkie187

Both speakers "work" as I have switched the speaker wire and hear sound from both when I move balance control to one; the other of course then does not emit sound. (I also had another spare speaker and tried that too and speakers all "work").

The Pod on 1st speaker is new replacement from Klipsch that I put on last night.

I just bought a new sound card today and still have the same problem where one speaker does not emit sound. Since the Pod is new the connector pin to subwoofer is in mint condition.

I thought the sound card would have fixed the problem, but I still hear sound only from 1 speaker. Speaker wire seems ok. The mini jack plug seems ok.

The sound drivers are all new as they were downloaded today as I installed the new sound card.

I am using Windows XP SP3.

The balance is all the way right to try and test right speaker; I only hear muffled sound from the Subwoofer.

So:

1. Speakers work
2. Pod is new
3. Sound card is new

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, when you test it with another control pod they work fine? I am confused here. and FYI, just because a control pod is brand new does not mean that it works fine. I have done alot of replacement plugs on quote "New Control Pods". so it might be worth considering, and also, what did you do with your old control pod? I may be willing to buy it off of you if you still have it.

I wanted to see if the control Pod was the culprit so used a new one that Klipsch sent me; the pins look fine on both. I will save the other one as a back up Pod. I don't believe it is the Pod that is the problem nor the plug that goes into the subwoofer as the pins look mint and tight.

Well, there are two fuses inside the subwoofer, one for the left channel and one for the right, but what I am not sure about is you said something like the sound changes as you change the pan on the soundcard? I do not recall exactly how it was put, but anyways, yes, there are 3 fuses in the 2.1 system, one is the main power fuse, which is located on the backside of the subwoofer with that little plastic slotted screw looking thing, and then if you take the back of the subwoofer plate off and pull it out you will see on the other side of where the speaker wires go in there will be 2 circuit boards their and one is for the left and one is for the right, each one has it's own fuse as well, I would certainly test them. you can test them with a simple voltage meter. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you.

I switched the speaker wire and mini plugs from the backs of speaker w/ Pod (L) and the right one speaker ®, The left one with Pod didn't work, but the right one did, so that eliminated a wire and speaker cause/problem. I also removed the wires from the subwoofer connectors and swapped them to also test the wire and connectors.

okay, well, if this was done properlly, And I am sure it was, then that means you have narrowed it down to the outputson the back of the subwoofer, leaving the 2 most likely causes being the fuse on that channel(hopefully) or a more serious problem on that channel, or 2 the preamp (control pod). I would start with testing that channel though with a voltage meter, also try measuring the resistance from one side of the fuse to the other if the fuse appears good at first, sometimes they can cut down the signal, not that I think this is likely, but it has happened before. and just see if the measurement are differant from one end to the other. checking for a blown fuse can usually be done without even having a voltage meter, usually you can see the break in the fuse. but just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Thank you.

I read in a thread somewhere on these forums that someone had a similar problem and it wound up being a bad internal amp inside the subwoofer. I will open the subwoofer and check the fuse. Would the internal fuses be the same part / type as the external one that is on the back side (that you can turn with a coin)?

I really have had bad luck with Klipsch products in the past 8 years or so I have gone through one 5.1 system and two 2.1 units. Their customer service and friendliness is great, but they need to have some ape-geeks come in and actually hard test the products.

If the internal fuses look ok then it is probably the internal amp of subwoofer and if that is the case I am going to get the highly rated Logitech Z 2300 system and never touch a Klipsch product ever again.

No Way, the Logitechs do not touggch the Klipsch systems, Creative Gigaworks on the other hand.... Well, I don't feel right saying that stuff on here, but they are also excellent systems, but they are not cheap, then again, neither is Klipsch. If the amplifier for that side wnet bad it can also be repalced, not as easily, but it can certainly be done. and as far as the fuse goes, they are not like the one on the rear of the sub, they are the type that snap in and out, you will see.

New member here. One of my two ProMedia 2.1 set ups has decided to act up. Not only does the right channel not work (no green light and no sound), but there is also no sound coming out of the woofer. I checked the single screw-out fuse on the back panel and it looked OK. The DIN plug was a bit bent (from the perspective of the outer plastic sleeve versus the inner metal housing), but all of the pins were straight. Here's the really weird thing ... a low level of sound is coming out of the left speaker, however, this is only when the Main Volume potentiometer is turned all the way down on the right speaker. In other words, the Main Volume control is working in reverse ... if I turn it up, the sound in the left speaker goes down, and when I turn it down, the volume goes up (although it never gets very loud at all). I have tried plugging jacks in and out, and turning the main power switch on and off, but to no avail.

Since not only my right channel isn't working, but the woofer isn't either, does anyone have any ideas what is likely the problem with my unit?

OK ... after reading all of the various threads and posts on the subject of bad/damged DIN plugs, I became convinced that this was my problem. As a quick and fairly painless check, I unhooked my right side speaker from my other ProMedia 2.1 set up and plugged it into the first system in place of the malfunctioning right speaker. Viola! The green light came on, and good quality sound was coming out of the right and left speakers as well as the woofer. I am just glad that something else didn't get shorted-out or fried in the process of the DIN plug going south.

I was planning on calling Klipsch's technical support group tomorrow about all of this, however, I am not going to bother as it appears that they are not all that helpful and I see no reason to replace the entire Control Pod on the right speaker just to replace the damaged DIN plug (to the tune of $22.80). Moreover, if I did go that direction, I would still have the weak and damage-prone DIN plug that could go belly up all over again. I am instead going to get my DIN plug replaced by Mr Clean (via his eBay store) for $9.95. In this way, I can end up with a superior DIN plug that will be way stronger than the Klipsch design.

excellent, I am glad to hear that, please remember to keep a copy of our transaction since I offer a lifetime guarantee on my plugs, if the new plug that I install for you ever goes south under normal use then i will replace it for free. If contaced through Klipsch I usually offer a small discount since Ebay Fees are avoided that way. But thankjs again, and thank you for mentioning that here. I have done literally hundreds of these systems so far and have not had any complaints about my service yet.

mr_clean_ct

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow-up to say that I am back in business with a new DIN plug end on my control pod cables that Mister_Clean took care of in short order (and for a reasonable price). Beyond that, it seems to me that Klipsch has a definite (and chronic) problem here that they are well aware of. While I like Klipsch speakers, this does not speak well of Klipsch as a company who sells a product that is either defective out of the box, or may well go belly-up down the road when the DIN plug finally bites the dust. Just my 2 cents.

I have exactly same problem. Right channel got no sound after 1 year usage. I can switch the right speaker to left channel and it works perfect. Therefore I am pretty sure both saterlite speakers work well. I can also hear the buss sounds well.

Don't know how to fix this trash. If the problem is so prevailing, Why Klipsch does not provide recall service?

• Moderators

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble, but it is not a prevailing problem. When one channel is out, it could be caused by several things: your music source (soundcard or software), speaker wire, satellites, DIN plug, one of a few components in the amp, or preamp.

It sounds like you ruled out a satellite problem. Try using the speakers with another device such as an MP3 player to rule out soundcard or software issues. Another easy thing to check is the round DIN plug in the subwoofer for any bent pins. Be sure to remove it carefully.

If you continue to have trouble, please contact our customer service to inquire about warranty or repair service. 888-554-5665

Thanks!

With all due respect to Amy, a cottage industry has obviously sprung up to deal with repairing/replacing the problematic ProMedia DIN plug (as Mister_Clean is not the only business in the aftermarket to deal with this problem) ... so there has to be a sufficient amount of defective DIN plugs out there to justify the business need and to sustain it. While Amy is correct that the issues surrounding no sound coming out of either of the satellite speakers and/or the woofer unit could be due to a number of potential issues, the fragile and sometimes defective DIN plug associated with the control pod module cables is clearly one that a number of Klipsch ProMedia owners have experienced. In this specific regard, I would characterize it as a known and prevailing issue (from the perspective of a consumer and Klipsch customer).

Thanks for the advice. I just tested it with an iphone and the problem is still the same. As the DIN, I checked it carefully and I didn't see any bent pins.

I am hesitate to send for repair. My previously experiences about repairing in USA told me that repairing always cost more than buying a new set from ebay.

Unless of course you send it to me, lol. I will be glad to test your DIN plug for you, and if necessary replace it as well, if it needs to be replaced it will only cost you $17.00, and that will also cover return shipping, and then you will never have to worry about it again since i give a lifetime guarantee on my replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I just tested it with an iphone and the problem is still the same. As the DIN, I checked it carefully and I didn't see any bent pins.

I am hesitate to send for repair. My previously experiences about repairing in USA told me that repairing always cost more than buying a new set from ebay.

Keep in mind that the pins in my damaged and malfunctioning DIN plug were also perfectly straight. In my case, the issue was with the outer plastic housing versus the inner metal collar.

The problem with buying another new control pod or DIN plug/cable is that you will no doubt end up with the same inferior and damage prone DIN plug that Klipsch has strangely continued to go with.

Take my advice and have it repaired/replaced by Mister_Clean and you will have no further problems. (And I am in no way affiliated with Mister_Clean other than having him recently fix my bad DIN plug).