RIP Luciano Pavarotti

filmboydoug

Sad, sad day. The man probably did more to popularize Opera than anyone else in the last century. Unique voice and power demonstrated perfectly in probably the most famous Aria attributed to his performance - Nessun Dorma / Turrandot / Puccini which was the theme song for the World Cup (Soccer) in 1990 (I think).

I have many of his performances on vinyl - the ones with Joan Sutherland being stand-outs.

Can't imagine anyone else that could draw a 300,000 croud for Operatic Arias.....

Yeah saw that last night, truly a sad passing. A headline I read earlier today read "Heaven has a Tenor!"

Got a chance to photograph him and his (then) girlfriend at the Grand Opening of the Detroit Opera House (1994). Of all the voices there, his was the smoothest, and he was the superstar. I have a great shot of him signing the wall, several of him singing on stage, and the final shot of him getting in the limo wearing an old fishing hat (while everyone else was drinking and socializing, he sneaked out of the after party and I followed his entourage).

It was an opera all-star night, with the average seat on the main floor going for $10,000. I had full access, even the dressing rooms (had to wear a tux). Literally bumped into Roddy MacDowell, the Emcee for the night while all the newpaper shooters crowded the halls. What a night, and the after party!! All the richest people and Michigan politicians were there, Governor, Mayor, Presidents of all the car companies, etc. What an amazing show, full choir, etc.

I'll post some photos later.

Claude

It was interesting how much wonderful sound came out of him with so little (apparent) effort. Compare that to pop singers like Mariah Carey, who appears to be having a BM with every phrase.

Yes, an amazing talent, his voice recognizable by the most casual of listeners.