Heresy II Center Speaker Advice

ken6432

I am just starting a project to build a Heresy II center speaker to match my current right/left speakers. I am going to use Heresy II parts, but orient the components horizontal. I have adjusted the dimensions such that the interior volume of the cabinet remains the same. My question is, where should I locate the horns vertically? I am assuming the two horns should be the same vertical distance from each other as they are in the original Heresy IIs. In my attached drawing, I have centered the mid horn with the woofer, which will allow me to use all of the original screw holes on the horn. A small radius will have to be removed from the edge of the horn's mounting flange to clear the woofer, but less than is removed from the flange for the original Heresy. I could also put the top of the mid horn even with the center of the woofer, but that would take out one of the screw holes.

So the final question, for now, is will the vertical location of the horns make much, if any difference in the sound of the finished speaker?

If it makes a difference, I plan to put this speaker directly under my TV.

Thanks for the help.

Heresy Center.pdf

I have already heard from others (right or wrong) that if I just put a Heresy II on its side, the dispersion will be off with the horns oriented the way they would be. Plus, if I repackage it to be horizontal, the speaker will fit under my TV better as the new height will be less than the old width.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken

If you have relatively low ceilings (like only 8 foot) and/or hardwood floors then I would recommend against not rotating the horns like some have suggested. You don't want a bunch of reflections from floors or ceiling messing with the sound. You said the speaker will be located below the TV; so I assume the center horns will be lower than the horns in your front mains correct? If so, you should plan to tilt it your center upwards. Otherwise I think your current plans look fine.

" I have adjusted the dimensions such that the interior volume of the cabinet remains the same. "

Good Idea! This is key, as is the orientation of the horns and keeping them vertically aligned. Looks like you might just want to futz with the dimensions a bit more so things fit the layout you have there.

M

I placed my Heresy CC upside down directly above my TV (See pg 88 in the "Show me your HT" thread). I tried it upright and found the narrative (dialog) appeared to come from the speaker instead of the movie characters. I turned the Heresy on its head, and now my ears can't detect that the dialog isn't coming from the TV. My seating area is about 10-12 feet from the speaker though.

Thanks to all of you that have replied. I have modified my design a bit due to some of the input and due to the fact that I realized the ratio of the length and depth dimensions was 1.999. I figured this might be a little too close to 2 which I was told to avoid. The new design is attached. I looked in one of my existing Heresy IIs and determined there was at least 1 inch of space between the mid driver and the back of the speaker. In this new design, I made the speaker shallower by .75 inches and made it longer. This changes the ratio of the length to depth to 2.27. I hope this is far enough away from 2 to be OK. The additional length also gives me some more room on the right and left end of the speaker so that the motor board can have a little more meat to it there. Also, I will not have to notch the mid horn any to clear the woofer. Finally, I moved the two horns up towards the top of the speaker in order to get the height of the horns as close to the height of the horns in my right/lefts per STLs input.

Again, thanks for all of the input. If anyone else has some suggestions or sees anything I did in this change that will cause problems, please list them.

Now all I need is the donor speaker to arrive in the mail.

Ken

Heresy Center Shallow.pdf