I'm going to buy a sub - help me out please!!!

a_d_a_m

You must consider SVSubwoofers! www.svsubwoofers.com They are the best addition I've ever made to my HT. For plenty of reviews check out the archives at www.hometheaterforum.com Also customer service that is great. The owners post regularly to HTF and answer questions and offer advice. Sometimes even another brand if that is what you need. Highly recommended!!

Curt

A-D-A-M

low wattage but high output. something with ultra low distortion and with <20Hz frequencies.

When you find this, let us all know. Physics works against such a result. You can't get high output at low frequencies with low distortion and low power. Not even from Cerwin Vega.

Go Listen to subs. Do not rely on specs. Guess what, specs are not always 100% reliable. What signal source do you plan to use which offers <20Hz information?

There is the line of subs from Holy Grail Audio. But I think they are hard to find.

bobg, i thought the new rsw subs would meet those requirements? well except for the low wattage anyway? biggrin.gif high wattage is GOOD- high price not good.

a_d_a_m (is that an acronym?), my vel hgs-18 is very low distortion w/ good low output below 15hz (which doesn't happen real frequently). & it has very low distortion - it has that accelometer(servo), but that clamps down on big bass outbursts like explosions. so w/ that tradeoff i don't get the disortion on like that chopper crash in the matrix, but i also am left longing for more impact at times like these. for those things thd is good - it sounds louder. but for music i have found no equal for the price (about $2.2k). the pitch definition & high output on the low bass is amazing. but it sounds like u more want the high ouput over extremely low thd, so u may want to check out those sv subs or wait for the new klipch rsw subs to come out & listen. wish i would have had that luxury in dec/99.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I would check out the HSU site or wait to see if the new Klipsch subs cause any older models to go on sale at the dealers,

Bob is too modest sometimes, Klipsch subs do have high output, but that has not been my problem with subs, matching them to the front speakers so that they help the mnusic and not hinder it was more of a problem ...

Why do you want a Cerwin Vega sub? The only thing I can figure is that you are trying to match them to your speakers or you know someone who sells them and can get a great deal. I guess the only thing I can do is refer you to their site www.cerwin-vega.com because the only Cerwin Vega's I've ever heard were cheap crap. I've never heard any one rave about their subs and I'm a member of a lot of message boards.The only thing I can tell you is that their subs don't play real low. If you want to check out some products that I know are top notch look at SVS,Paradigm & Velodyne. Any one of these three would be a great sub.

• 1 month later...

I've listened to Velo, Hsu, REL, a bunch of others and, a super-high-end thing that weighs 400+ lbs. made out of machined aluminum that sells for between $25K $30K. See "Forbidden Planet".

SVS, in my subjective mind, outperformed everything except the aluminum beast, which costs more than 20 times the SVS price.

In addition, their director of R&D, a frequent poster in this area, personally helped me pick the right model based on my room dimensions and equipment. (I like the personal touch.)

The SVS, dollar for dollar, can't be beaten, IMHO. It even gives other high-dollar subs a run for the money.

Good luck, and I hope you're happy with whatever you pick.

Mike

what's your budget? You have a lot of choices.

Least expensive yet a good performer in output to more expensive. Just for starters,

1. JBL D112- most bang for the buck 105 db maxand 95 at 25 hz. (nousain data) and I think it was replaced by a pb12 or something like that. $225.00

2.Cerwin Vegacvt 300 107 max, 80 db @ 16 hz, 92 db # 25 hz. cost unknown to me, )Nousain data).

3.Paradigm PW 2200 12" sub w/ 12" woof 107.4 (peak 112.8) and 91 DB @ 20 hz.(nousain data) $ 800.00 new at any local dealer.

4.Velodyne 15-18" servo's. $2000 and up. LOW distortion and the highest low output of any on this list and at a premium price too.

These are just some of the good ones out there from every price range.

Klipsch claims to have a real monsterous sub coming out in the next couple months that will (per Klipsch) exceed all db levels of any of these subs mentioned by a lot. The most expensive one is the RSW 15 at $1700 MSRP.

By the way this info was provided to all Klipschsters in this forum section (subwoofer) on 12-19-2000 along with a ton more useful sub data. The info was provided by the owner of SVS sub woofers. He goes by the screen name TVodhanel. He is an expert in base and I have no doubt that the previous posters recommendation regarding the SVS subs was a good one indeed.

Do a search and print the info provided by TV and maybe it will prove useful in your purchase.

MacKlipsch,

No, I have a Storm, which is one step down in the product line from Stadium. However, being one step down menas, in this case, quite a BIG step. The Stadium uses a very different, and much more complex, internal cabinet construction - some sort of weird baffle setup they call "ARM" - looks like this:

innards.jpg

and is supposed to make it sound, uh, better. wink.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Is anyone going to bid on this??? I might pick this up if I can get it for a reasonable price. Would really like their Stentor sub, but am a few $$$$ short. Ray...do you think this one will keep up with my k-horns and Belle? My room is pretty ideal for K-horns already with solid, tight corners. My bass is pretty damn fine now, but have read about the complaints about really low bass response with Klipsch. I think with "normal" listening levels the Stadium would be ok. Just wondering if I really need it. Would be nice to be able to

try it....oh well...Ray..does your sub give you noticeable results? Anyway.....Adam.... IMHO I would go with a REL at this point. They have targeted the "musical market" and have in my opinion done the best job with accurate bass. But they are $$$$. Personally I am saving my $$$ till I can afford something that is a real improvement over what I am getting with my K-horns. I can tell you that in my old house I had to build one false corner, and although it improved the low end, there is no subsitute for a real solid wall with a good fit. With less than ideal corners, any decent sub will improve things I would think??? By decent, I mean one that is fast enough and musical rather than the plodding monsters typically marketed fot HT.

Is anyone going to bid on this??? I might pick this up if I can get it for a reasonable price. Would really like their Stentor sub, but am a few $$$$ short. Ray...do you think this one will keep up with my k-horns and Belle? My room is pretty ideal for K-horns already with solid, tight corners. My bass is pretty damn fine now, but have read about the complaints about really low bass response with Klipsch. I think with "normal" listening levels the Stadium would be ok. Just wondering if I really need it. Would be nice to be able to

try it....oh well...Ray..does your sub give you noticeable results? Anyway.....Adam.... IMHO I would go with a REL at this point. They have targeted the "musical market" and have in my opinion done the best job with accurate bass. But they are $$$$. Personally I am saving my $$$ till I can afford something that is a real improvement over what I am getting with my K-horns. I can tell you that in my old house I had to build one false corner, and although it improved the low end, there is no subsitute for a real solid wall with a good fit. With less than ideal corners, any decent sub will improve things I would think??? By decent, I mean one that is fast enough and musical rather than the plodding monsters typically marketed fot HT.

a_d_a_m, www.bagend.com

Do a dealer search.For $1500 you can get a Bag End Infra-18 powered sub that will sound great with music and hurt you on HT's.

They will tell you about a mail order place that will sell it for $1,225 and ship it by truck.Too big for UPS to damage.103 lbs.shipping weight.88 out of the box.Check them out.I love Klipsch,but when are they going to come up with a brute.

Bag End is a Pro and consumer speaker manufacturer.

Velodyne's 18"is great and I love them(sorry boa12),but half the green it's a monster or at the same price you can do 2.