I'm going to buy a sub - help me out please!!!

a_d_a_m

that's ok steve, i have to agree actually on that price thing. biggrin.gif

i was sunk w/ the dealer so at the time it was either the vel or a klipsch ksw sub.

i've only heard the rave reviews on that bag-end. i think u heard the new klipsch rsw-15 at CES(?) how does it compare to the bag?

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I wouldn't buy a bagend sub for $250 bucks let alone $1000 plus. I'm sorry but they are probably one of if not the highest distortion subs you will ever come across.

It's been awhile since I read the info regarding the BagEnd subs so I can't remember the particulars but I do remember I would not even consider it.

I am going for the Adire Audio Rava 12 in. sub. 250 watt at 4 ohms

$399.00 plus shipping sealed cabinet oak veneer 60 lbs.

For the price if I decide I do not like it I can upgrade the driver to some EV or Dynaudio driver.

I acknowledge it as a leap of faith but I did that with the MSB Link II DAC and love it for CD playback.

Anybody ever bought something from Adire?

Ive got to admit that Im surprised no one has mentioned Miller & Kreisel (M&K) subs yet. They too are at the high end of the spectrum for price but the offer a great performance. I dont think they tout as low distortion as the Velodyne subs but they are really sweet sounding. I think that most of the recommendations here are a bit ridiculous given that the question was about C V subs so I decided to add to the insanity wink.gif

If the question is about C V subs (which are average subs at best) I dont think anything over $1000 is really in the same price range. The C V subs often cut out at low frequency.

Whats the consensus here on Sunfire Subs? I know the True Sub Junior sounds ok and isnt such a strain on the pocket book.

I also cant stress enough that you just need to listen to the speakers before you buy. Sometimes this is hard to do if not impossible given location and the local market, but if you can its worth more advice than this whole message board can give you smile.gif

quote:

I also cant stress enough that you just need to listen to the speakers before you buy. Sometimes this is hard to do if not impossible given

location and the local market, but if you can its worth more advice than this whole message board can give you

amen!

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

I realize this solution won't bring the house down (along with the china, and any small animals in the way), however it is a very clean, high quality, CHEAP alternative. =) That is the 10" Titanic Subwoofer Kit available from partsexpress.com... The model # is 300-739. It runs about $350, includes everything you need for a powered subwoofer, it was designed by Vance Dickason, and trust me, in home, will put out, hard-core... Its sound quality is also unbeatable in this (or most) price ranges... Ed Schilling first told me about this sub- and he was right... It's an incredible piece of work!

------------------

-Klifton

quote:

Originally posted by Kepard:

I realize this solution won't bring the house down (along with the china, and any small animals in the way), however it is a very clean, high quality, CHEAP alternative. =) That is the 10" Titanic Subwoofer Kit available from partsexpress.com... The model # is 300-739. It runs about $350, includes everything you need for a powered subwoofer, it was designed by Vance Dickason, and trust me, in home, will put out, hard-core... Its sound quality is also unbeatable in this (or most) price ranges... Ed Schilling first told me about this sub- and he was right... It's an incredible piece of work!

So, you have this sub and it works great? I am in the market for a sub as well. So for the dollar that sub really rocks ?

Has anyone else tried it ?

quote:

Originally posted by S2000:

So, you have this sub and it works great? I am in the market for a sub as well. So for the dollar that sub really rocks ?

Has anyone else tried it ?

S2000, I am currently using one of these subwoofers with a set of RF-3's (that are on a NAD 2200). It is a very realistic setup... Matching the tonality of my McIntosh ML-1C's (which are about -1dB @ 20Hz!). And I believe the system sounds even more live than the ML-1C's... I am going to be adding another, and using each for speaker stands underneath a set of "The Horn's" as an experimental setup for my new room... But to answer your question, it is a VERY musical, realistic, fast subwoofer, one of the few that I have heard match the speed and sensitivity of both the RF-3's and The Horn's... Plus, for $350... You cannot beat it with anything in my opinion!

------------------

-Klifton

Klifton,

Thanks for the help. I feel like I am on a search that will never end for a sub. I guess I just need to take one home and see how it sounds in my home.

I have three Forte II's for my front channels in my HT set up. So, I get a fair amount of bass.

Klifton,

Thanks for the help. I feel like I am on a search that will never end for a sub. I guess I just need to take one home and see how it sounds in my home.

I have three Forte II's for my front channels in my HT set up. So, I get a fair amount of bass.