In-wall speaker location

JimK

Textc>

Just bought a pair of SCW-2 in-wall speakers. The owner's manual doesn't specify a recommended height to install the speaker at. I've heard that ear height is best but my wife wants them higher on the wall. The SCW-2 horn can be adjusted to point more right or left but not down. So that I can mount the speaker higher and point the horn down I'm thinking of mounting the speaker sideways (horizontal). Anybody have a better idea or see any problem (other than appearance) with installing the speaker sideways?

Thanks

I usually go by what Dolby says. According to their web site they should be 2-3 feet above your listening position. This is to avoid localazation.If you were to mount them 2-3 feet above you on the side walls I don't think youu want to point the horns down though.

I would mount them vertical and leave the horn straight.

Jim,

Erik is correct, but I think we were assuming these were for home theater/movie use. In that case, your listening position is usually seated so the speakers would end up about 5-6 feet high on the wall. For general room music, where you'll be standing, then you're talking about 8-9 feet high. For room music, I don't think you can go too high really. The higher installation does a good job of filling the room with sound. I've got in-walls about 10 feet up in a couple of my taller rooms right now and they're great for music. But, for movies I'd want them much lower. As far as horizontal mounting goes, that's not a problem. I've got my in-walls mounted that way to line up better with my AC grills (for purely asthetic reasons).

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff