45RPM Blue Note Jazz Reissue Series Coming Soon...

Ctiger2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're getting some good pre-release feedback:

Ive heard a lot of Blue Note originals and myriad reissues over the years, but based on the sample test
pressings heard so far, noneand I mean noneconvey the intensity of living, breathing music-making the
way the Music Matters Blue Note series does. The sense of air, texture, and dynamic pop in these grooves
is astonishing. The music, of course, speaks for itselfand bravo to Music Matters for realizing that the
original graphics and Francis Wolff photos are an equally important part of the Blue Note vibe. I cant
wait to see the finished products.

Wayne Garcia,

The Absolute Sound

Theyre BIG and open and definitely work in stereo because theyre not hard left/right stereo. The cymbals are so
"chimey" and the skins so open! Even Rudy's typical boxy piano isn't too bad. These are going to be really good....!!!!
(Real time reaction after hearing his first test pressing of Horace Parlans Speakin My Piece LP.)

Michael Fremer,

Stereophile, www.MusicAngle.com

As nice as they are, the RVG editions of the Blue Note catalog are about to be blown out of the water.
A couple of long-time record industry jazz experts a producer and a prodigious collector have teamed up to
release several dozen classic Blue Note sessions in definitive 2-disc 180-gram 45 rpm LP limited editions via
their new company, Music Matters, Ltd. (musicmattersjazz.com). Weve found some real gems combing through the
catalog, says producer Joe Harley. So dont expect the expected, but look for many overlooked titles in this series.
Each gatefold package will contain two LPs they need double the vinyl real estate at 45 rpm and will be lavishly and
generously decorated with dramatic Francis Wolff photos from the sessions, acquired with the assistance of producer Michael
Cuscuna of Mosaic Records. Weve brought in Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray to do the mastering and we are working with the
original stereo mixes. By the way, these are the masters that were used to mix down one generation to make the mono versions.

Knowing that all the figures involved in this project are incapable of
performing at less than 1000 percent, these Blue Notes, with
first-batch titles by Art Blakey, Lou Donaldson and Horace Parlan
arriving at retailers as you read this, should provide new insight into
the way this music was originally intended to be heard. Its as though
the Holy Grail of jazz has finally been presented in high definition
Technicolor. Examples Ive heard live up to the hype: the sound is
jaw-droppingly dynamic, alive and holographic with none of the
high-frequency tilt many have complained about in regards to the RVG
remastered CDs, but rather, a satisfying balance from top to bottom,
and an unbelievable soundstage, such that I could swear the musicians
were playing several feet past the limits of the two speakers
themselves. These allow you to actually hear INTO the music, as well as
be enveloped by it. After hearing your first of these, youll develop
the Lays Potato Chip Syndrome you wont be able to stop at just one.

Mike Quinn

JazzTimes, November 07

www.jazztimes.com

Music Matters to These Guys

The buried treasure for those who frequent garage sales in search of
LPs are jazz titles from the '50s and '60s, especially from Blue Note
Records. Some Blue Note LPs command big money on the used market
because their sound quality is considered definitive. But a new music
label is working to challenge this notion, reissuing classic Blue Note
titles on super-quiet 180-gram vinyl in the most authentic way possible.

Music Matters is the creation of industry veterans Steve Hoffman, Kevin
Gray, Joe Harley, Ron Rambach and Michael Cuscuna. Not satisfied with
producing just another series of reissues, the Music Matters team
decided to create LPs that would improve upon the originals in terms of
musical fidelity, pressing noise, and packaging quality. Each will be a
45 spread over four sides, and the gatefold packaging will use the
original cover artwork and include unpublished pictures from the
recording sessions. Such attention to detail doesn't come cheap -- $50
per title -- but once you see what an original mint copy of Hank
Mobley's Soul Station or Dexter Gordon's A Swingin' Affair costs,
you'll think these two-LP sets are more than reasonable.

The product of first-generation analog master tapes, the Music Matters
reissues have a refined sonic pedigree. Collectors and audiophiles
prize the mono versions of Blue Note LPs for their supposed sonic
authenticity, but, as the Music Matters team discovered, the mono tapes
were often derived from the stereo masters. Therefore, many of the
reissues will be in stereo, not mono. From the Music Matters website:
"To our collective surprise, when listening to the master tape, the
stereo was greatly preferred to the (summed) mono." The audio equipment
used for mastering and playback is some of the finest available, right
down to the isolation products, which come from Silent Running Audio.

Music Matters has an ambitious schedule planned: six initial releases, then two titles each month through 2009. There will
be 63 titles in all, and they comprise a cross-section of the most important music from the golden age of jazz.

Look for the first six titles -- Art Blakey's The Big Beat, Horace Parlan's Speakin' My Piece and Us Three, Kenny Drew's
Undercurrent, Lou Donaldson's LD+3, and Hank Mobley's Soul Station -- later this year and in early 2008. Only listening will
tell for sure, but the Music Matters reissues have all the outward signs of being the finest LPs available and becoming
collector's items themselves. Maybe it's time to hold a garage sale of your own....

Marc Mickelson, editor

www.soundstage.com

September 19, 2007

• 2 months later...

My first 2 came today from Elusive Disc. They are ALL everyone is saying they are. The artwork and packaging is super. Of course the vinyl is dead silent, but the air and smoothness of the recording is what is really is setting it apart from others that I have. This is after one side of "Speakin My Peace" More to come after more listening!

Joe

My first 2 came today from Elusive Disc. They are ALL everyone is saying they are. The artwork and packaging is super. Of course the vinyl is dead silent, but the air and smoothness of the recording is what is really is setting it apart from others that I have. This is after one side of "Speakin My Peace" More to come after more listening!

Joe

Wow, I have been poking around the Music Matters site and it all sounds too good to be true. Has anyone else had a chance to give them a spin?

Well, since nobody but Joe offered up opinions I decided to see for myself. I went to Music Matters and signed up for the subscription. One of the online LP joints was already sold out of the Art Blakey LP. I talked to the crew at Music Matters and they will give you all the same serial number if you get the subscription...if that matters to anyone.

The first two arrived yesterday. In a word WOW! Not having the bankroll or the access to the originals I cannot offer up a comparison, but these discs are smoking good and the rest of the package is top shelf. The sound stage is excellent. They are dead quiet. A real treat all around. My wife took a listen with me and some of here comments were; "It really sounds like they are in the room", "Amazing", "This is so much fun" and "Unbelievable".

I am really looking forward to the subscription as it will be a forced stream of a lot (not all) new music to me. I have spent countless hours on ebay tracking and buying Blue Notes with the 'ear' and RVG in the dead space. Many, many I do not score. The ones I do have been hit or miss in the 30-50 dollar range. If the rest are 1/2 as good as The Big Beat by Art and the JM's then it will be a great year of listening. I cannot wait for Page One by Joe Henderson to be released.

I signed up at Music Matters and my first 2 came yesterday as well (Art Blakey and JM - The Big Beat, Horace Parlan Quintet - speakin' my piece), and both are SN 248. I thought the Art Blakey LP's were very good, but the Horace Parlan LP's were outstanding! Not just the music, but the recording is better as well. I liked it so much I played it again this morning. It is a great album, and these re-releases are the real deal.

For those of you that have an extra $100/mo to spare you need to consider this series. You won't be disappointed.

Mike

Hey Rich,

Well, you know how opinions go... this is just mine. I had never heard either album before yesterday and was just more taken with the HP. Those Turrentine brothers sure can blow some horns! I think you'll love it, but will wait to hear your opinion.

BTW, I have just started a 6 month project in Crystal City and will be there every mon-fri, and will stay an occasional weekend once it starts to warm up. Hopefully, we can hook up.

Mike

Mike, are you working for GSA at Crystal City? I did a 6 week stint there. Pretty cool set up with the entire city underground. One week I flew in on Sunday night, worked till Thursday afternoon and never got outside. I could go from the Marriott to GSA and ate all my meals in the mall.....crazy. I felt like a mole.

We should try and get together for sure. I bet Gary would be up for it too. Since you have had the run of his joint a couple of times perhaps you (and other in the area) might want to check out my pad. I currently have 8 different home brews on tap. Something for every pallet. The only thing better then a movie and a beer at my place is a movie and 2 s. Actually, I think vinyl and a beer is better.

Crystal City to my place should be 1.0 to 1.25 hours I have made it in under an hour. However, with typical traffic it will probably only take you 2.5-3.0 hours. Man, the D.C. traffic and all of I-95 sucks.

Hi Rich,

This is a govt project where I will be implementing some Oracle apps for a couple of govt agencies. Yeah, it's cool coming off the Metro from DCA and you do not have to go outside. I can get to my office in about 5 minutes from the Metro stop which is pretty convenient. For this reason (and the price of parking) I do not rent a car while I am here, but will do so over the weekends I decide to stay there.

Coming out to your place sounds cool, and we'll make it happen sometime in the spring. Let me know what you think of the HP LP... I just listened to it for a 3rd time already. [:D]

Mike

I'll jump back in : Played again last evening with my new amp and it still is amazing how "real" it sounds! Love the Piano playing in the center than having the horns come in from both sides. I put on an original Getz on Verve right afterward and it just does not come close. Only thing I notice is that the recording is so clean that some passages come out very bright with my Chorus, which are original and need to be updated. I have not played these recordings on my 4.5 Fostex yet, will this weekend.

I had to send back sides 3-4 on the HP to Elusive Disc due to a bad scratch at the beginning of side 3. Should have a new 3-4 on the way to me.

Joe

Yeah, the piano is slightly off center to the right, and the standup bass is slightly off center to the left, with the sax coming from the left channel and the trumpet coming from the right. At least that's how mine images. Very nice indeed!

Bummer about the 2nd LP... on mine I had to glue both sides of the gatefold on the bottom as the seals had broken.

Mike

I had heard about the seals and having to glue, but when I got my two there was not problem. The scratch was not that large, but did make noise for the first 10-15 seconds of the side. For $50, I thought I'd send it back, first time to return an LP. I was able to explain and get RA# via email from Elusive, very pain free! As stated before the stage is great on these....so many times you get everything mixed together in the center.

Joe

I gave HP a whirl and it was great too. I found it to be more lush and rich (the bass was killer) but the Blakey LP to have a bit more detail and separation in the instruments. The imaging on both are out of this world. I swear as they move up the piano to higher notes the imaging moves more to the left as if the piano is facing you. It is as if the microphones can accurataly track the different locations of the piano strings. I fear as this collections grows I will never change my table back to 33. Perhaps I can sell the 50-100 old jazz LPs I have to offset this new venture. Perhaps the best part is not wondering if some guy on ebay's VG+ or NM- is that same as what I expect. You just know these LPs are going to be as shiny as a mirror every time you open them up.

I can't wait for the next round.[:D] BTW, both sets were perfect in the LP and cover department. One corner on both are dinged just slightly. Guess the monkeys at FedEx still throw them around. My numbers are 0254. Nice to have them all the same and low...but I doubt I will ever part with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang,

You know I've been so busy with this project (and my "day gig" as VP of AudioQuest) that I had forgotten to check back in until tonight. You can't imagine how nice it is to read your reactions!

I know how excited Ron and I get when we compare our original BNs with a new test pressing we've just done, but it is so rewarding to read that you feel the same way. The history of vinyl (and digital for that matter) Blue Note reissues has been checkered to say the least. As soon as we put up those first master tapes we knew that so far, no one had really heard what Rudy captured on tape. The tapes were so DYNAMIC! Rudy had to do what he had to do back in the day to get these records to play without "skipping".

Now, finally...and with the substantial advantage of running at 45RPM, we can do these transfers wide open, with no compression whatsoever. You get to hear what is actually ON the masters.

Ron and I would like to thank everyone at the Klipsch site for their support and kind words. Someone here made the offer to us to hear a fine Klipsch set up in Long Beach. I'd like to take you up on that offer. Please get in touch.

There's a very nice new article about the series that just appeared on the Playback Magazine on line site. You can access it at: http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200801partners/?folio=1

Go to the table of contents and then click on "Liner Notes" on page 104.

The next two titles (Kenny Drew's great Undercurrent w/Hank Mobley and Lou Donaldson's classic "LD + 3" with the Three Sounds) will be shipping in about two weeks.

We greatly appreciate your comments Klipsch people!

With the music in mind....

Joe and Ron

Joe, keep up the good work the first two sound fantastic. After reading that article I can't wait to hear the 5th and 6th release. I almost wish I did not know about the cable changes until after I give them a spin to see if I, in fact, noticed a difference.

The only suggestion I would make is to look into your packaging of the LPs. FedEx must have tossed my box as the outside corner of the box was dinged a bit...but did not look bad at all. Both LPs had about a 1/4 wrinkle in the upper left corner at the top of the spine. Not a huge deal, but since the covers are so nice I hate to see them get banged up. I noticed on my last order from one of the on line LP shops that they have a "fin" of sorts that surrounds the main part of the box. This acts as a buffer to prevent such problems. My Classic Records reissue of Lou D's Blues Walk arrived in perfect condition.

Thanks for your efforts! I don't think I will be setting up my table back to 33 for a while [;)]

Hey Joe.

I'm the guy in Long Beach with the Klipsch Cornwall system that I fine tuned SPECIFICALLY to make old Blue Notes sound as good as possible (to my ears, anyway).

I am indeed SLAMMED in every way you can imagine due to the ongoing WGA strike, but my weekend afternoons are usually wide open and I would love to have you over to my place so that we could do some listening.

I have to tell you, my system is probably not the end-all for your new pressings--I am sure that a modern plastic turntable with a $5000 cartrdige would really do them justice, but it would really cool to hear them here as well!

Pop me an email:

allansonger@omegacinemaprops.com