45RPM Blue Note Jazz Reissue Series Coming Soon...

Ctiger2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sensei,

Aron and I have been talking about going to some more of Merle's shows at LAX. Is there anyone coming up that would get you (and maybe also your wife that you married so far over your head) off your duff and out to have a burger with us?

Regards,

Chris

PS I take it as a personal offense, your "...plastic turntable..." wisecrack. kidding....

Gilbert,

Allan's generous offer was made before the strike. I haven't been working much the last month or so, so currently, I think it'd be Dutch treat burgers while we look at Studebaker parts...[*-)]

Hey Sensei,

Aron and I have been talking about going to some more of Merle's shows at LAX. Is there anyone coming up that would get you (and maybe also your wife that you married so far over your head) off your duff and out to have a burger with us?

Regards,

Chris

PS I take it as a personal offense, your "...plastic turntable..." wisecrack. kidding....

I don't seem to be getting the flyers these days. Got a schedule? I am always up for a burger and some jazz after work--even if work these days is akin to being fire marshall in hell.

I have to tell you, my system is probably not the end-all for your new pressings--I am sure that a modern plastic turntable with a $5000 cartrdige would really do them justice, but it would really cool to hear them here as well!

Pop me an email:

allansonger@omegacinemaprops.com

My experience is that with Turntables (unlike women and houses) the more plastic the better!

Gilbert,

Allan's generous offer was made before the strike. I haven't been working much the last month or so, so currently, I think it'd be Dutch treat burgers while we look at Studebaker parts...Confused

That all sounds good so far........, and I'd still like to know where the best damn jazz house is in LA, or SoCal

I've been out to Allan's a couple times now and in my limited experience, Charlie Os is the most fun. The Jazz bakery gets bigger names but isn't as intimate. I always have more fun at the smaller places whether in CA, Chi-town, NYC or here in the DC area.

I don't seem to be getting the flyers these days. Got a schedule? I am always up for a burger and some jazz after work--even if work these days is akin to being fire marshall in hell.

I'm confused. How does the writer's strike make you busier than usual? I would have thought it be the opposite.

Gilbert,

Jack Sheldon plays at a small club every Tuesday(?) I think it was. We saw him last year and he was great (and funny as he!!).

Also, on occasion you can see a great trio or quartet at one of the LAX hotel lounges. Allan can usually tell you off the top of his head who will be playing where and when.

I'm confused. How does the writer's strike make you busier than usual? I would have thought it be the opposite.

In order not to HEMMORAGE cash we have laid off 40 of our 89 employees. Revenue is off about 50% and payroll is our only easily controlled expense. The staff that was laid off was for the most part at the WAREHOUSEMAN level. And that means that with 50% of the volume and 100% of the brute force labor GONE the slack is being picked up by YOU GUESSED IT--upper management! I am pulling and packing orders and trying to run a business and keep from laying off more of the great people who dedicate themselves to us. It really, really sucks. Our web people are gone, our inventory control staff was laid off (and guess who's doing THAT job too?). I am even covering the RECEPTIONIST for lunch some of the time. I laid her off but after three days of hell I called her back and let go one of the IT guys instead!

And, because I am spending much of the day in the warehouse, there is always a PILE of everything else waiting for me in my office--30 or 40 voicemails and emails to run through at 5 or 5:30 every evening.. I have been working from 5:30 AM until 7:30 PM and have also worked every Saturday and Sunday this month. And all to lose thousands of dollars every day.

Get it now?

I finally got the chance to play the Horace Parlan LP on my system last night. Those guys did a fantastic job! There's not much I can add to what has already been said. I probably own (or have owned) at least one of every Blue Note reissue released (from Classic Records to Japanese pressings and everything inbetween), and on a modern setup like my Basis/Transfiguration, this is definitely the best I've heard, maybe by a good margin. I also have a dedicated mono setup with a TD124/SME/SPU Mono for my originals. While I love the sound of the new LPs, I don't think guys like Allan (and myself to a much lesser degree) will be trading in all of our original monos for these new 45s. There is still a sound and texture you get from those old LPs that just cannot be duplicated. I'm not saying it's better, just different. I love them both. I really love the imaging these new LPs provide that you don't get from the old monos or even many of the stereo reissues. It's just fabulous! I've heard many other reissues with instruments on top of one another. They took great care to make sure everything is in the correct spot.

I look forward to hearing more of the new 45s as they are released and I also look forward to Allan's review.

Edit: Just listened to it again and it's really amazing how closely they captured the essence of the original pressings. The more I listen, the more I like them. WOW!