45RPM Blue Note Jazz Reissue Series Coming Soon...

Ctiger2

The Marty Paich "New York Scene" on Discovery is a "reissue" of "The Broadway Bit" on Warner Bros. The Discovery LP had been a sleeper for quite awhile and could be found for as little as $10, but now it too has been "discovered". Its stock is rising. You were lucky to find a sealed copy for $50. I think the Discovery LP sounds every bit as good or even better than the issue on WB, which I originally found in a thrift store, where fini too has found it more than once. Discovery is an excellent label, I have many, including all the early Clare Fischer and Poncho Sanchez. The presence of Art Pepper is why it is so sought after, but I have grown to like several other Marty Paich LPs, with or without AP.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If engineers could have consistently made records like this, the CD would be a long forgotten "marketing mistake" whose brief time in the sun was shorter than a fashion season.

Exactly. and is why reissues, at best, are limited by the parameters and excellence of the original recording situation. In my experience, a relatively small percentage of jazz recordings are truly exceptional in this regard, although most small group recordings are pretty good, and way fewer examples when it comes to latin music.

c&s

Rich, I have heard them both in their entirety, but I wanted to hold off commenting until I got a chance this weekend to spin them again. On first listen, I enjoyed them very much musically, but I was all over the house and didn't get a chance to sit on the couch in the sweet spot and hear them.

Ill update with my thoughts on Saturday afternoon.

Mark - thanks for the link... I'll see if I can find it cheaper [;)]

Mike

Certain labels were known for excellent recording engineering. The Contemporary label is a good example. Big labels, like Capitol, did a good job. I do not know the behind the scenes answer to your question, but just like artists and tube manufacturing there are many subjective and objective factors giving rise to variables. I have been disappointed in some Blue Note recordings, so, even with Rudy Van Gelder behind the scene, sometimes it did not go well, a couple of Art Blakey 60s sessions come to mind. And, it is not just me, Michael Cuscuna states: " Although all of the sessions in this collection were recorded by the extraordinary Rudy Van Gelder, there are sonic problems on two sessions." Just like in the old days when an LP liner notes would have the recording specs and microphones used, wouldn't it be cool if the record today had a sonic evaluation included in the notes. I know I usually appreciate "apologies" or "heads up" on recordings that warn you that there are sonic compromises "and we couldn't do anything about it". At least I then know not to keep looking for dog-doo on my own shoes....so to speak.....its them not me ....ok..... they don't do this in reality because they are partly crooks it would seem......

c&s

I witnessed a demo transferring original tape to the lathe and comparing playback fidelity. Playing tape back directly from the ampex was best and the reference standard. The 33.3 was good, the 45 was great, and the 78 was spectacular. Unfortunately 78 is not practical nor physically secure for LP, although this format did exist briefly with one company.

c&s

• 9 months later...

Dragging this tired old thread back to the top.

I see my latest batch is slated to be delivered today. Much to my liking there is a Lee Morgan LP in the box. While the AP pressings are, for the most part, well known gems the majority of the MM shipments I don't actually know. So far no clunkers and they all sound great. Anyone out there familiar with this particular Lee Morgan offering - Tom Cat?

Any of you west coasters get the actual MM wax? How is it?

Rich,

Since I recall you enjoying Lee's slightly funkier 60's LPs like The Sidewinder and The Rumproller, you should also enjoy Tom Cat ('64). Can't beat the lineup either with Curtis Fuller, Jackie McLean and Art Blakey. I've had the CD for years along with a Liberty pressing but I can't remember the last time I played it. The CD was in my car for a long time so it got a lot of play a few years back.

Mine also is supposed to arrive today although Sonny Clark's Leapin' and Lopin' is what I REALLY can't wait to hear! I have a King pressing that is just amazing. One of the best Japanese pressings I own. I can't wait to compare the two should I decide to open it. All my MM LPs are still sealed. I might have to cancel my subscription soon due to financial reasons so I'm thinking I might as well just play them since I won't collect the entire series. I will however continue with the AP 45 series because I like the titles better. Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis, "Something Else" and Dexter Gordon's "Go" are the next two to be shipped in that series.

Gary,

I do dig Sidewinder and Cornbread. I have not picked up Rumproller though I like the title and funky cover. I am keeping with the MM subscription and picking up the AP titles from time to time. Excited to get Caddy for Daddy when it is out as well as Page One from AP.

I was really fired up to get the MM version of Ture Blue, by Tina Brooks...but perhaps I over hyped it in my mind. While the sound is fine, the music itself did not wow me. Not sure if that LP is more hyped up based on the fact that he did no put out much or if it actually is the music or perhaps there are just so few copies. At any rate I need to give it another spin or two before I pass judgement. One thing I know for sure is that I will not be dropping $3k on an original pressing of True Blue.

Rich,

Since I recall you enjoying Lee's slightly funkier 60's LPs like The Sidewinder and The Rumproller, you should also enjoy Tom Cat ('64). Can't beat the lineup either with Curtis Fuller, Jackie McLean and Art Blakey. I've had the CD for years along with a Liberty pressing but I can't remember the last time I played it. The CD was in my car for a long time so it got a lot of play a few years back.

Mine also is supposed to arrive today although Sonny Clark's Leapin' and Lopin' is what I REALLY can't wait to hear! I have a King pressing that is just amazing. One of the best Japanese pressings I own. I can't wait to compare the two should I decide to open it. All my MM LPs are still sealed. I might have to cancel my subscription soon due to financial reasons so I'm thinking I might as well just play them since I won't collect the entire series. I will however continue with the AP 45 series because I like the titles better. Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis, "Something Else" and Dexter Gordon's "Go" are the next two to be shipped in that series.

Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune of the BN's that sucks, wish I could help.

Jay

If you like sidewinder, try "The Cooker"......I have about a dozen of LM's lp's....the cooker kills!!!

I'm with you on True Blue......I have a lex ave copy thats in vg shape so I forked out the 50 for the MM ......ehhhh.....I actually like some of my toshiba and king pressings more than the AP or MM pressings....and I can't afford mint 1st pressings.....

I use bed risers (used to be in my daughter's dorm room) to raise the chair so the horns are closer to ear level. Mr. Colter didn't realize they were there and plopped down hard on the chair. I don't have to tell you what happened next.Embarrassed

What exactly are bed risers? About how much did they lift your chair? How tall in inches would you say the chair was?

Jay

I use bed risers (used to be in my daughter's dorm room) to raise the chair so the horns are closer to ear level. Mr. Colter didn't realize they were there and plopped down hard on the chair. I don't have to tell you what happened next.Embarrassed

What exactly are bed risers? About how much did they lift your chair? How tall in inches would you say the chair was?

Jay

http://www.target.com/Plastic-Bed-Risers-Set-4/dp/B0009H2JPI/sr=1-1/qid=1229224499/ref=sr_1_1/175-1751403-4838832?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Arisers%20furniture&page=1

They raise each leg about 5 inches. It's a short apolstered chair made for a living or family room so it's on the short side. I just wanted my ears to be as close to mid-horn level as possible.

Jay

http://www.target.com/Plastic-Bed-Risers-Set-4/dp/B0009H2JPI/sr=1-1/qid=1229224499/ref=sr_1_1/175-1751403-4838832?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Arisers%20furniture&page=1

They raise each leg about 5 inches. It's a short apolstered chair made for a living or family room so it's on the short side. I just wanted my ears to be as close to mid-horn level as possible.

Ok thanks Gary.

Jay