ACADEMY - Why not add these to the new Heritage line?

fleshx

We now have a new line of Heritage speakers with no matching center channel. That seems very odd? Klipsch re-releasing this speaker would make alot of enthusiasts "complete" and their wallets heavier. The crazy prices for these 10+ year old speaker warrants a re-release...PLEASE!!

I'll add to my "wish-list" a horizontal Cornwall perhaps? [:D]

Agreed that we need a new center channel to match the Heritage line.

However, having had the privilege of auditioning an Academy for a couple months (between my KHorns), IMHO an Academy is NOT the answer.

My Heresy laying on it's side provides a much better sonic match than the Academy did.

While the Academy looked nicer, it's performance was lacking.

Rumor has it that there may be a new Heritage center speaker in the works, but AFAIK, it hasn't been released yet.

It is a well known fact that the Academy is well suited as a center for speakers like the Forte, Chorus, and perhaps Cornwall in some cases, but it is no surprise that it is not a good match to the K-Horn.

I do agree however that Klipsch should investigate the possibility of "reviving" the title. I have owned two Academies (still have one), and what this small speaker is capable of (especially with a better crossover) is pretty remarkable.

Chris

There's really no reason you couldn't use a Heresy for center channel duty. Heck, if you wanted better polars you could just cut out the MF/HF section and rotate it 90 degrees so that the dispersion goes back to normal with the speaker laying on its side. I wouldn't expect anything smaller for a "heritage" center channel.

But for what it's worth, technically the Lascala is considered a center channel speaker for the Khorns. It was introduced by PWK way back in the early 70's I believe (maybe 60's?) when he was pushing the concept of 3-Channel Stereo.

• 8 months later...

"yeah, we really should add something, especially after all the comments at the Pilgrimage. I think they may have heard you guys but I can't report anything.

yet.... "

Do we have any news on a Heritage center channel?

Fellow Klipsch Heads I am in the same boat with everyone else but took a different direction. My teenage boys blew up my Academy and I bought replacement drivers from Klipsch and had to use KLF C7 drivers for the 8". I think there is enough need for a Heritage center because 5 channel and more is here to stay. Popbumper can you private message me on network for the hot rod Academy with KLF replacements. I have yet to play the Academy since replacement waiting on Musical Fidelity amplifier to be delivered. Thanks and this forum ROCKS......

I have never heard an Academy before. I will be using a La Scala as center in my remodelled basement, replacing a single Heresy II. I would have liked to use a vertical Cornwall, placed horizontally above the TV. I think it would lead to better screen placement than the LS (but not better sound), but I might end up splitting the LS. Considering it's a single speaker, I would have likely bought this one new if available. Used ones are too scarse anyway.