Tour of Audio Classics and McIntosh

wpines

Took a hooky day from work Friday for a road trip to Binghamton NY. A pair of boxed 60th anniversary Klipschorns was among the dozens of Klipsch products at Audio Classics. The demo room had 15,000 watts of connected audio with a value of 1/2 to 3/4 of a million dollars of a/v equipment. A pictures worth a thousand words so here you go.

http://mpbarneytuners.googlepages.com/home

I did the same thing a year ago as part of a McIntosh/Audio Classics/AudioKarma tour. We also had a tour of the McIntosh plant and saw how the amps, both tube and ss were made. It was a five hour drive down there from Toronto, but definitely worth the trip. The next day my nephew and myself made a side trip to Cooperstown before driving home. It was a great two day trip.

Boy, that was quite a ride wpines.............3 1/2 hours one way for me, good folks at Audio Classics........Better people at McIntosh, what a great bunch of workers Mac has. Spent almost 3 hours with their head tech in repair shop, Steve Kenyon, going step by step to solve an issue. The most polite workers I've ever met, and was never rushed out the door. Audio Classics all of a sudden is stocking Klipsch, that's a good thing, just wonder why, they are a bigger business than most assume they are.........Glad the trip went well............

Audio Classics had some Klipsch when I was there and they were selling them. Mostly they were smaller units, not heritage. The owner was able to purchase a pair of Khorns as part of a special offer from Klipsch and he bought a pair. Of course, he got a nice discount.

It would have been nice to see Khorns with the top end Mc equipment. We got to listen to McIntosh's own speakers and top end B&W's.

Yes, I have found the people at Audio Classics to be nice. And yes, it would be great to hear some Klipsch Heritage there, but unless you say you are going to buy them (they had Cornwall III and Heresy III in stock when I was there earlier this year) they will stay in the box. I won't get much into the story but, they said the speakers would be worth three hundred dollars less when the box was open. I responded, "Well, don't you get a demo pair from Klipsch? Silence. "Ahhhh...no."

They are not really set up to demonstrate equipment properly. As the pictures show, their "demo" rooms are crammed full of stuff including those old Wilson WAMMs. Bottom line is that they are a mail order business.