I just ordered a pair of these XF-48's for my boss. She
wanted me to hook her up with some good speakers that were slim floor standers,
so this was my obvious choice. I didn't demo them, but I am confident they will
be more than enough to rock a middle age woman's high rise condo. This is
coming from a woman that currently has a $175 Sony stereo in her living room. I
have a NAD T175 that will be sending the signal to them. I won't be doing all
the setup for her for about ten days, so I'll give you guys my impressions
after that.

These Icon models are indeed targeting people with flat TV's who want something that will look good but ALSO provide good sound quality. There's lots of good looking speakers designed to go with flat TV, but our opinion is that most give up too much audio quality. XF-48 in particular beats anything we've done in a small cabinet and beats the competition as well.

So, you can use a receiver, DVD player etc. with Icon speakers to make a full system OR in many cases just add XF-48's to your TV without any other components. If the TV output is variable (or the headphone jack as in the case of my Pioneer), a TV, DVD and XF-48's makes a very elegant system.

My wife and twins loved the look of these when we went to shop. From the sound received from my untrained ear, I think they might be built for smaller spaces. Once she heard the 63's-Game over; it was not hard to convince her. Now, it's all about just getting it done. The 48's are sexy as hell, though.

XF-48 will work great in that size room.

It's funny, for any given amount of money, you can buy a LOT of different types of cars: sedan, 2-seat convertible, SUV, Mini-van etc. No one ever complains that the Mini-van doesn't handle the twisties well or that the 2-seater has little room to haul the kids and groceries. In the case of speakers, performance is not absolute. Some people would prefer RF-63's for their brute power while others prefer something far less boxy and large. There is no "best" speaker just as there is no "best" car. Our goal is to make as many good products as there are types of need.

C'mon Bob, Cornwalls are best. Everyone knows that.

jk- Bob's absolutely right. Just as there is no 'best' speaker for any set of ears, musical taste, and room size, there are equal number of referrals that could be made for the 'best' receiver to go with any speaker. And on any stereo gear, specs certainly don't tell the whole story. You've got to get out there and hear things for yourself.

Try to imagine describing which Color is 'best' to someone. Can't be done, right?

Friend of mine always asks me questions "whats the best" so and so... I always answer Depends on who you are and what you are looking for. I can see how the XF-48 line could be what a lot of people are looking for. I can also see how it's something that some people would not want.To each his own.

• Like 1

So this weekend I got around to hooking up the XF-48's for
my boss and as suspected they rock in my opinion. Luckily my boss agrees also
and her first words were that the speakers sounded so clear compared to
anything she had her in the past (whatever she heard in the past I am not
sure?) The speakers are pretty much what have been previously discussed
on here. Smooth style, great sound and versatility. The look of the 48's is top
notch as they are very classy I feel. The bass seemed pretty good even without
a sub. I am kind of a bass junkie so I would have added one, but I feel you
could easily get away without one. Then we proceeded to watch Juno on Blu-Ray.
Not exactly the most exciting movie to test speakers with, but the 48's really
made the music throughout the movie come alive. A good action flick would have
done more justice for testing the speakers out. Overall I am pretty impressed
with the 48's. They proved to be the perfect solution for this scenario. I
agree they are not going to compete with the 83's or 63's, but they seem to
be aimed at a different consumer anyway. My boss wanted something that
complimented her flat screen, looked good but wasn’t necessarily huge and had
good sound. The 48's have fit the bill in this situation and I am glad Klipsch
has decided to get into this market segment.

• 8 months later...

any new reports from xf-48 owners? i have just bought two of these and am enjoying them very much.

some very good bass as well as detail in the highs which i love. i was trying to convince myself that the icon

wf 35 were just as good sounding but i couldn't do it. would save me a bunch of money which can also go

towards a center and rears.

one thing which i'm confused on is that i keep reading that the line in is a better connection

than the speaker wire but i'm getting bigger sound from the speaker wire hookup.

my receiver is an onkyo tx nr905

• 6 months later...

I plan to purchase my speakers September 15th and I am trying to figure out what to buy. Initiatlly I am going to go with 5.1 sound but plan to add the 2 additional surrounds in January 2010. I have an Onkyo 875 as my reciever. It puts out 140 watts per channel. It's a high quality reciever(THX Ultra II Certified). I am debating between the XF-48 system and the RF-62 system. I am confident my reciever will be able to power either set with ease. Which would be the better set of speakers to pair with my set up? I mostly watch movies on Bluray but my wife enjoys music more. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mordir1297,

Welcome to the forum.

The Onkyo TX-SR875 is a very nice receiver with a great amp section and high quality DAC's. It will power just about any speaker you choose. With that said, I would choose the RF-62 system. With the 62's, you have room to upgrade in the future if you choose(and are allowed to). With the XF-48 system, you have a smaller footprint(WAF approved),built in 100w amps, but there is no room to upgrade without changing out your whole system. I vote RF-62 for movies and music.

If your choice happens to be the XF-48, here is a great deal.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542999545/klipsch-xf48?i_c=HP542999545_071509

Bill

• 4 months later...

I just purchased 3 xf-48s at a great price and hoping to use one as a center channel so that I will have a perfectly matched front 3. I also heard the xf23 center is not quite as impressive sounding and since the center channel is most important I went with the 48. I know the tweeter is not in the middle but that's the only compromise. Only problem is that I would like to remove the base so that it doesn't stick out when placed horizontally but I am having great difficulty unscrewing the 2 hex screws on the bottom. Any advise? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at these too and I'd love to be able to use 3 across the front but they're too tall. I wish Klipsch made a center with the same speaker conpliment ony in a horizontal configuration with the passive radiators flanking the MTM section on both sides similar to the DT Mythos Ten. I would also like to see the amplifier included.