Klipsch XF-48

Christina

I wasn't happy with the XL-23 as a center, but heard the mythos ten as a center which matched very well. I now have a mythos eight as a center channel and the XF-48's for front and rear speakers. The overall setup sounds amazing! My XF-48's are about a foot and half from the wall, but I haven't tried them any further out from the wall.

• 5 weeks later...

did you ever replace the f2's with the xf48's im asking because i started to build a synergy system (s2,c2,sub12) but haven't gotten fronts and just got offered a great deal on 48's will they go well with the rest of my system also i have a yamaha htr 6080 running please let me know what you think sorry if this has been answered before but i'm a noob and need guidance in the right direction

• 3 months later...

Hello there,

I've been reading these (and other) posts and (still) have some questions. I hope you can help me just a bit with my -big- list of questions... :)

I already bought the speakers, and heard them via I-pod..! Amazing and excellent sound!

Right now I'm making a choice for buying an amplifier. And I have some questions about that..

1. Do you need to plug in the power chords of the Klipsch XF-48's when they are connected from speaker connections to the amplifier speaker connections with speaker wires? As I read the above answer, I understand it's -not- necessary to plug in the power chords, -am I right-? And if I'm right, is the amplifier able to give its signature (small though) of sound at that time?
  2. If the power chords of the Klipsch xf-48's are -not- necessary when the amplifier is actually delivering the power, what kind of amplifier power is the best to choose? How many "WATTs" do I need as a minimum?
  3. Right now my choice is between 3 amplifiers: NAD C 316BEE (40 W 8 Ohm continuous, Clipping power max continuous power 45W 4/8 ohms), NAD C 326BEE (2 x 50W Continuous Power into 4 ohms and 8 ohms / Clipping power >65 W) and the NAD C 355BEE (2 x 80W Continuous Power into 8 ohms - 92W 4&8 Ohm clipping)) Also see: http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers
  4. What connection will actually give the best sound: -1- Connection via the pre-out of an amplifier to the line in of the XF-48 speakers or -2- Connection via speaker connections of an amplifier to the speaker connections of the XF-48 speakers.
  5. What cables are the best cables to use, for pre-out and for speaker wires?
  6. I have heard the speakers, but also heard a humming noise when they were on (blue light was on), while the amplifier was switched off and the speakers were connected with speaker wiring to the amp. Is another cable an answer to solve the humming? Or is a connection via pre-out better for no humming noise? I've read about placing ferrite cores, is that the only option to have less humming?

So, I hope one of you is able to answer some of my questions, thanks in advance!

I now will follow up with reading more in this forum!

Greetings,

A-one

Hi A-one,

The XF-48's are active loudspeakers; they need to be plugged in to the wall work. While it offers speaker line inputs, they will not drive the speaker.

Frankly, I'm unsure why you would want to buy an active speaker and then try and drive it with a reciever. You would end up wasting money on the unused amplification. Moreover, consider that the amplification within an active speaker can be matched to the drivers in a way that an external amp driving passive speakers never could be.

Hi StephenM,

Thanks for the quick reply! I get your point of the matching of the internal amp of the speakers themselves.

In my previous reply I showed 3 amplifiers in my message, they are not extremely high in price, so for me they are worth the effort to use as a "hub" amp for cd, dvd and so on.

However one of the amps I choose from has -no- Pre-outs, only speaker connection is possible.

Since I want to get the best result out of the XF-48's, I wanted to know what the influence (in general and on audio quality) of a speaker connection of an amp with speaker wiring or connection from the amps pre-out to the XF-48's is.

As I read now, the speakers are not driven by the amp. And then, since it's driven by the speaker: what connection would be better for audio-quality? Pre-out or by speaker-wires? Or is the quality for both connection methods the same? So, actually my main question should be, should I choose an amp with or without pre-outs?

And as my last point, I heard an amp with connection to the XF's by speaker wiring, with a buzzing sound when the amp was shut off. Therefore I wanted to know, if a certain connection by pre-outs or a certain cable can help the issue.

Thanks again!

Gr,

A-one

I wouldn't expect that the connection type would influence the sound dramatically, although looking through this thread at least one poster claims the speaker wire connection gives better quality. Shouldn't be inordinately expensive to test both out.

Personally, I'd stick with the line level inputs using cables that look like they have some semblence of build quality (doesn't have to be $1000 cables or anything, but not the freebies they stick in with CD and DVD players either). As far as the hub, I'd recommend looking into dedicated preamps.