Clapton Guitar Fest II

oldbuckster

Yes for sure, your a long time dead. Well it's a beautiful morning here in Western Canada so i'm gonna take the Kawasaki up into the mountains one more time before the fall sets in. There's a restaurant about 50 miles from here that does a great breakfast and usually a few bikers there. Have a good one.... John

Yeah an "old pro" who's gone thru it all with amazing fortitude. Seems strange to look back to when i used to go see him with John Mayall and "Clapton is God" was plastered over a local railway bridge. Still the best concerts are his Albert Hall stints, i hav'nt been to one in years since moving to the States but the memory is engraved. Aaah, to be 18 again.

Not always a big Clapton fan, but as the years pass bye, I grow to like him more all the time. For me, I think it's that his voice has aged, and sounds better than ever, and more suits his style. You can't go wrong with any of the Yardbirds, three different styles, from three different guitarist......Eric Clapton on a Fender is Bliss !!!!!! Would like a DVD of his new line-up in Concert..........One more Car.....One more Rider...is a good overall look at EC's great career to this point....I feel real lucky to have lived through most of his career, and hope for many more years to come........"Let it Rain"..............EH !!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

George who?

Badge what?

Ohhh...you removed your original post. Anyway, on a recent interview that was show on TV, Pattie was asked who was the "love of her life" (between George and Eric)....her answer.....GEORGE!

I couldn't get my original post to format the way I wanted. It was late and I was half in the bag tired. So I deleted it. It looked something like this...

In an interview with Songfacts, Bobby Whitlock, who was a member of Derek and the Dominos and good friends with both Harrison and Clapton, explains the situation between Clapton and Pattie around the time he wrote Layla:

I was there when they were supposedly sneaking around. You don't sneak very well when you're a world figure. He was all hot on Pattie and I was dating her sister. They had this thing going on that supposedly was behind George's back. Well, George didn't really care. He said, 'You can have her.' That kind of defuses it when Eric says, 'I'm taking your wife' and he says, 'Take her.' They got married and evidently, she wasn't what he wanted after all. The hunt was better than the kill. That happens, but apparently Pattie is real happy now with some guy who's not a guitar player. Good for her and good for Eric for moving on with his life. George got on with his life, that's for sure.

- Jim

George who?

Badge what?

Ohhh...you removed your original post. Anyway, on an interview that was shown on TV recently, Pattie was asked who was the "love of her life" (between George and Eric)....her answer.....GEORGE!

Have you seen Pattie lately? Look at Clapton's current wfe and Pattie now and tell me he cares. Back in the day, wow, now , .....????

Ohhh...you removed your original post. Anyway, on an interview that was shown on TV recently, Pattie was asked who was the "love of her life" (between George and Eric)....her answer.....GEORGE!

Have you seen Pattie lately? Look at Clapton's current wfe and Pattie now and tell me he cares. Back in the day, wow, now , .....????

Yes of course there's no comparison. But you would still know by the looks of Pattie today that she was stunning when she was younger. I don't know if Eric wrote a song for his current wife but he did 2 for Pattie (Wonderful Tonight and Layla).

A lot of people wrote songs about her. Harrison wrote "Something" about her after she left him. She left him after he cheated on her with Ringo's wife. She also slept with Ron Wood, supposedly helping contribute to the songs "Breathe on Me" and "Mystifies Me". From Clapton's perspective in addition to the two songs you mentioned, she was the inspriration for "Bell Bottom Blues", "Pretty Blue Eyes", "Golden Ring", "Never Make You Cry", "Pretty Girl", "She's Waiting". EC also wrote "The Shape Your In" when Pattie suffered alcoholism. Eric cheated on her with a few women including having a child with Yvonne Kelly.

Clapton's latest album "Back Home" is all about is current family.

They have been around the block once or twice.

post-16829-13819348920828_thumb.jpg

Yes of course there's no comparison. But you would still know by the looks of Pattie today that she was stunning when she was younger. I don't know if Eric wrote a song for his current wife but he did 2 for Pattie (Wonderful Tonight and Layla).

The irony here is hilarious.

So "wonderful tonight" is a love song, huh????

It was written in response to whomever (I don't keep up with who they are boinking) wanted to go to some hoity toity function that he did not. She was taking forever to get ready. And in response to her forever farding, he replied, yeah, yeah yeah, you look wonderful...now let's go... Subsequently put into a song and slowed down you get a very seductive - "oh baby baby baby, you look wonderful" - EXACTLY the opposite of how the actual event transpired. But needless to say, every 14 year old melted. I love listening to it for the original intent...it becomes an ironic 'anti' song almost (but not quite!) of the caliber of 10CC's "I'm Not In Love" (where for those who still may not get it, is anything but an I'm Not In Love song...). Ain't love grand....

Eric was fine in the day - eg Cream, but since his encounter with smack, the best he has risen to is to aspire to be a JJCale clone. And with all due respect, JJCale is best listened to as the source, as his versions are better than any of the substantial covers.

And if you read more about what Bobby Whitlock (and other Nashville whosits) actually say, the role of Bobby was MUCH more substantial in Layla than has been popularly assumed. But anything Eric gets near automatically revolves around him...

Eric was fine in the day - eg Cream, but since his encounter with smack, the best he has risen to is to aspire to be a JJCale clone. And with all due respect, JJCale is best listened to as the source, as his versions are better than any of the substantial covers. 

I'd have to consider EC an Albert King clone as well.

The irony here is hilarious.

So "wonderful tonight" is a love song, huh????

Never said it was. I was pertaining to Pattie being an inspiration for the songs and yes, I also know the history behind that song.

Wow!

First, my reference was to the CUMULATIVE references to the chubby chick being both an object of affection and an inspiration for so many songs - of which many assume to be love songs. And Wonderful Tonight IS considered by MANY to be a wonderfully poignant love song! Swoon...

As far as what you were aware of, or were unaware, I am totally unaware! Worse still, I didn't care (does that sound sufficiently detached? ;-)) In other words, it was not in reference to YOU at all! So settle down!)

My reference was strictly to the general perception of the 'inspiration' of the song that is viewed by are I say most in the general populace (and perhaps by some here) to be a tender and oh so poignant love song! And hence the supreme irony!

And if you are aware of the story behind the song, it was obviously oriented toward those who are not already familiar with it, as I think it adds to the song, as the irony makes what is an otherwise ordinary song more interesting.

But hey, if Eric is your cup of tea, by all means, please enjoy!