Official Steely Dan AJA thread

Wardsweb

Hi Luther,

I have searched for months for the Simply Vinyl pressing and it is

nowhere to be found. Please let me know how this pressing stacks up to

it. I have the original pressing as well as the MOFI, so I will be

curious of your impressions.

Mike

Let me get back to you this evening. I want to do some back to back of the MOFI and Simply Vinyl.

Mike

I just finished a nice listening session with the MOFI and Simply Vinyl

versions. While the MOFI is stellar the Simply Vinyl does edge it out

by a nose. Why is that you say? Well for me the bass is tighter on the

Simply Vinyl pressing which allows more detail and separation for the

other instruments. Both are true to the original mastering but I would

dare say the Simply Vinyl is pressed from a better grade of vinyl and

it is at least 180g. Now to see how the new release stacks up. I can't

wait.

Good grief - this is the weirdest thing. I used to listen to AJA ALL the time back in college (1978), it was one of my favorite albums!! Recently, I had been humming AJA in my head - like over the last few weeks - and had no idea why. And then this thread?

I am not making this up - now to the point - someone PLEASE give me a link or a source so I can get another copy!! THanks for majking my night!!

Chris

• Moderators

What a great clip from YouTube. I liked hearing Shorter talk about how he came in and did it, all pro. Just before that Walter and Donald were talking about having to talk Shorter into playing sax on the song, and that it took some doing. They said that he was probaby concerned that they were going to ask him to something inappropriate, and that it was "understandable" for him to feel that way. I was trying to figure out what the heck they were talking about, why would they think that Wayne would be leary of getting into trouble by playing on one of their lp's.. Then I remembered what came out before Aja. No wonder, it was Can't Buy A Thrill.

Travis

• Moderators

Good grief - this is the weirdest thing. I used to listen to AJA ALL the time back in college (1978), it was one of my favorite albums!! Recently, I had been humming AJA in my head - like over the last few weeks - and had no idea why. And then this thread?

I am not making this up - now to the point - someone PLEASE give me a link or a source so I can get another copy!! THanks for majking my night!!

Chris

Where are you located in Texas?

someone PLEASE give me a link or a source so I can get another copy!! THanks for majking my night!!

Chris

This is the latest vinyl release and is supposed to sound better than the original or the mobile fidelity pressings:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=39750

Luther just ordered it and was going to compare it to all of his other pressings.

Mike

This clip is from VH1Classics show called Classic Albums that featured the making of the album AJA.

jerol

Yes they have the series online. Here are a few more.

Peg - http://youtube.com/watch?v=CH0JpBzi68E

Black Cow - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iid8JV0cFIQ

Deacon Blues - http://youtube.com/watch?v=pyJjfGq1GqI

Josie - http://youtube.com/watch?v=WuFfE-2dxKU

I was trying to figure out what the heck they were talking about, why would they think that Wayne would be leary of getting into trouble by playing on one of their lp's.. Then I remembered what came out before Aja. No wonder, it was Can't Buy A Thrill.

Travis

Well there was a five year gap in between Can't Buy A Thrill and Aja, and they had done some pretty good albums in that timeframe (Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied and The Royal Scam) and by then already had a lot of Jazz overtones in their music, but Aja was still at a completely different level. The song Aja is my favorite off that album. Gadd is insane on that song.

Mike

• Moderators

I was trying to figure out what the heck they were talking about, why would they think that Wayne would be leary of getting into trouble by playing on one of their lp's.. Then I remembered what came out before Aja. No wonder, it was Can't Buy A Thrill.

Travis

Well there was a five year gap in between Can't Buy A Thrill and Aja, and they had done some pretty good albums in that timeframe (Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied and The Royal Scam) and by then already had a lot of Jazz overtones in their music, but Aja was still at a completely different level. The song Aja is my favorite off that album. Gadd is insane on that song.

Mike

Mike,

You are right, I was confusing Can't Buy with The Royal Scam for some reason. The Royal Scam was right before Aja and the one that I was thinking would have caused them to think that a guest artist would have concerns about playing on one of their lp's.

Travis