Official Steely Dan AJA thread

Wardsweb

• Moderators

Travis, there is one copy left at Waterloo for $29.99. Picked mine up today.

Thanks very much for that head's up Eric. When you coming over? What are you doing this weekend? The Austin Record Convention is this weekend. lets go buy some vinyl and then come back to my place.

Travis

Ok, this is strange: The AJA CD sounds better on my SS based system than it does on either tube based set-up. Maybe the vocals are getting to me, (not my favorites, as mentioned before) but darn if it doesnt seem brighter on tubes!

• Moderators

Luther, some bad news. There is even one more to buy, the Universal Ltd. Ed. 200 gm.

See below:

This title was originally not expected to be released on Japanese Vinyl... But, it just showed up on our doorstep today...Surprise! Extremely Limited Quantities, Get Yours Now! P.S. We are saving copies for everyone who pre-ordered this title originally!

Elusive Disc, Inc is proud to bring you these very limited edition Universal Japanese Import 200g LPs. As many of you already know, the Japanese are meticulous in the packaging and pressing of their LPs. These LPs are pressed on ultra-quiet 200g Virgin Vinyl. These are available for a short time only with a strict one-time pressing run with extremely limited quantities. Be sure to get your copies before they're all taken.

I just got my Cisco pressing this evening, along with the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Let me say right now the Cisco pressing sounds phenomenal! It took all of 10 seconds for me to realize that. Without question, there is more detail on this pressing than any I had heard previously. Aja sounds spectacular! The whole album does of course but that song in particlur, which has always been my favorite song on the album.

If anyone is on the fence about purchasing this album I strongly suggest you get off it... you won't be disappointed!

Mike

Picked up a minty 1977 original today for a dollar.

Thats the one I have, 77.

Two years out of high school in 77 I considered it to be a puss LP. 

Young, dumb, and full of whatever. Alice Cooper rules!

Glad I learned to appreciate how great it really is.

I doubt I will ever own nine copies of it but Dreamboat Annie is another story:)

Hi Luther,

I have searched for months for the Simply Vinyl pressing and it is

nowhere to be found. Please let me know how this pressing stacks up to

it. I have the original pressing as well as the MOFI, so I will be

curious of your impressions.

Mike

Ebay title - Steely Dan Aja Simply Vinyl Audiophile LP

Auction # - 140171977085

Auction ends - Oct-31-07 16:06:58 PDT

I doubt I will ever own nine copies of it but Dreamboat Annie is another story:)

I have a German pressing of Dreamboat Annie that sounds incredible! Bought it in '78 while stationed over there, and haven't heard another pressing that even approaches it!

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike, now I have another one to find:)

post-14158-13819349244408_thumb.jpg

Not generally big on Rock albums but I do own this one. Funnily enough I own an illegal vinyl copy apparently:

1977, abc records with "For promotion only - Ownership reserved by MCA Records INC. Sale is unlawful" stamped in golod letters on the front. The cover is not in very good condition but I have no idea how it plays (I dont actually recall ever playing it).

Anyway - cant do it now (6 am - everyone asleep) but I will give it a go over the weekend. Thanks for the heads up - I had quite forgotten I owned it.

Picked up a minty 1977 original today for a dollar.

Thats the one I have, 77.

Two years out of high school in 77 I considered it to be a puss LP.

Young, dumb, and full of whatever. Alice Cooper rules!

Glad I learned to appreciate how great it really is.

Alice Cooper still rules!!!!

Well I'm now very loaded up with probably everything they put out from a stockpile of records I acquired this weekend. All very minty and here's the list

Another '77 Aja

Gaucho

Katy Lied

Greatest Hits

Countdown to Ecstasy (two copies)

The Royal Scam

Pretzel Logic

Can't Buy A Thrill

Becker and Fagen, "The Early Years"

Oh yeh, and another "Firefly"

• 7 months later...

Have a great time at the concert...i have seen them 3 times in the last 2 years.......Still kicking....the horn section is unreal.

one of the shows I saw was with Michael McDonald and he sat in for about 1/3 of the set [Y][Y][Y]

I don't know how I missed this thread before...the Dan is probably my favorite band of all time....I have multiples of every release.....

Me and A few of my friends want to do an "Amazing Race: style, Dan Hunt with clues taken from the lyrics (figurative and literal)....Like : you need to be outside "the stadium" but what time? 6:05..... Then you need to pour only two colognes (from a table of 30 or so brands ) from the shadow cast by "Hoops"...Which two brands? Brut and Charisma......

then you can move on.....where to??? Mr. chows of course......who do you meet at what time??? Jives Miguel....better go to the airport and pick him up on his flight in from Bogota and get back to Mr chows by midnight. What do you order? Szchesuan Dumplings....

On and On the game goes....Could be fun

I didn't know this threasd grew to this size. So, okay....

Steely Dan was one of the best bands of all time. I have all their stuff. Favorite songs are:

Green Earrings, Peg, Josie, Dr. Wu, The Fez, Bad Sneakers, Kings, Turn that Heartbeat Over Again, Boddhisatva, King of the World, Rikki, Any World (that I'm Welcome to), Kid Charlemegne, The Caves of Altamira, I Got the News, Aja.