Of faceplates and mounting brackets.

FlatLine

Hello fellow Klipsch owners,

I bought my pro-medias and two pairs of wall mounting brackets however, in the few months that I've had these babies, I haven't brought myself to mounting them. So, I've had the rear speakers sitting on a bookshelf to my right and on a little stand I have on my left. Unfortunately, the wires on the floor and bad placement makes them frequent targets of my family. As a result these two speakers have been knocked over a few times. Thankfully, the worst that has happened to them was one little knob (can't think of a better word, hey its 2 in the morning wink.gif in the four corners of the faceplate has broken on each of the rear speakers. While this isn't really a problem, I don't feel right having such a perfect set of speakers with this cosmetic damage on them. Where can I get myself new faceplates?

Now, here is the reason that I haven't mounted these things. Due to the way that my room is set up, I can only mount the satellites in the four upper corners of the room. I have an average sized room, and the ceiling is about 9-10 feet high. If I mount each satellite so far away, will I have to crank the sound up a whole lot to get the same listening experience or not? I am concerned that they will be entierly too loud for everyone outside of my room. I am asking this here because a lot of you know how well the sound carries better than I do. The second issue is with the mounting brackets themselves, there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust them on the Y-Axis, so how can I point them down? Lastly, (I just thought of this actually), should I wall mount the front two speakers too to get equal distance from all four speakers? Or did I just waste 20 dollars in getting a second pair of brackets.

Anyway I hope atleast someone has read through all of that, I don't realize how much I say when I type quickly... Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

I think you have to evaluate what it is your doing the most with the Pro's, DVD's, games or music.

For DVD's and games I would think you would want the front sats a little closer (somewhere near the monitor) for decent spacial reference, voices, gunshots that sort of thing.

For music, I would think whatever sounds good to you would work best.

Have the family (if they can handle the task of holding up a big ol' Pro sat for a couple mins.! smile.gif )to hold up the sats at different points in the room to give you a sense of what is right for your ears and sense of overall sound quality in the room.

As far as the rest of the house hearing your thundering pro's, you would have to know how the home was constructed. What kind of walls, plaster, drywall and so on. If the room has a lot of furniture it will dull some of the sound leaving the room, but with the pro's wall mounted you will get a lot more sound travelling throughout the house.

Currently I have my pro's on my desk, it is a corner unit and quite large. So the rears are actually behind me in a sense. I have a few cabinets and book cases for my movies and collectibles, but overall not a lot of furniture. I have to get the pro's up to about the 1 o'clock range to get clear sound in a different part of the house if that helps for a reference. My walls are plaster and it is an older home, so the walls are quite sound proof (wide buggers) If you walls are standard 2x4 with drywall (most homes around 15-25 years old are) you might start to hear clear sound at the 10 o'clock position. If they are wall mounted, it might even turn out to be less.

Your sub placement will also determine what kind of sound the rest of the family has to put up with. In a corner facing the wall, the low frequencies will be felt and heard throughout the home. If you sacrifice a little of the boom and move it away from a corner the sats will cancel out a little bit of the low frequencies.

Overall, if the room is no bigger than 14x14 feet you shouldn't have to crank the pro's to much to get the same enjoyment you are having now, if you wall mount them.

When your done, lets here how it worked out and click some snap shots! smile.gif

Good luck!

------------------

Movies take us to a place we would like to be and away from a place we would like to forget.

You beat me to it Amy. See what happens when I actually do my job instead of hanging out in the Klipsch Forums. biggrin.gifc>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Thanks for the great info =) However, I'm wondering, if I choose to go with wall mounting the speakers, how do I go about pointing them down since they will be above them? I remember some people talking about using washers to push it down or something similar, but don't remember the details. Sounds a bit crude though. Other than that, what other methods are there? Once again thanks in advance.

Mike

FlatLine, last year i remember the store where i bought my set had them on demo and the rear sats were hanging upside down (hooked in the ceiling pointing downwards) and even though the sub was on the table it still sounded pretty impressive.

(they always had a dvd movie playing)