Scott 299 Advice

Appleskinner

I have absolutely no experience with tube gear and am contemplating the purchase of a Scott 299. I've scoured the posts on the forum to get an idea of what to look for, but still have a few questions. First, which model (299, 299B, 299C, 299D) is considered the best sounding and/or most reliable? My reluctance to go tubes thus far has been due to the fear of unreliablility and cost of tube replacement, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. The 299 and 299B are visually the most attractive to me, but I would like to know if the newer models offered a higher level of quality. Second, what is a fair price for the various models in working mint condition with no major tuneups (NOS, Mapeshade, etc)? I see these occasionally on A-Gon, but they seem to be at the high end of the price range.

Lastly, please let me know if anyone on the forum has or knows of anyone who might have one of these old fire hazards for sale. I am stationed in Alaska and haven't had any luck finding one locally.

~Gary

Gary,

Unless you get one that has been gone through by a qualifided tech, you are going to have to have it done sooner or later anyway. Craig ar NOS Valves is very good and fair, you could not do better than going to him. The reasons are you want to replace any faulty or going bad parts before you invest in nice tubes. Also it improves the sound quality. There are some for sale here from time to time, just look around. I have the 299 A version 2nd edition, which Craig did a deluxe rebuild about a year and a half ago. I have had no major problems with it, and he gives you a warranty.

Jay

In this same section look at mark101 has one for sale with a tuner, all done ready to rock.............I didn't want Tubes either, but fell into a nice 299-D, thanks to members of this forum.....[:D].... and I just love it. Only 11 tubes, have already rolled out scott tubes, and replaced with JJTesla's, very happy results. A Scott redone by NOSvaves in the $600. range is a fair, good price...........untouched Scott needing work $300. to $400. before Craig touches it........You won't be sorry...certainly woke up my Heresy II's...........Scott 299-D + Heresy's + Sub-woofer = [:D]............I rest my case...............

I have a 299, (updated by Craig a few years ago) and I enjoy it very much. Its in a small room with a pair of Forte IIs. I also have a set of drums in that room and on occasion, I play along. The 299 has plenty of oomph to hear the music over my pounding! I like jazz and classical and with both, the 299 provides an excellent sound stage.