Tube CD player - WOW !!!

HudsonValleyNoah

Just for the record, the Jolida tubed CDP in the guy's ebay auction is a JD601A, which was a POS. One of those scenarios where Jolida took an existing budget CDP, modded it for tubes. It was not very reliable and some have said that it almost bankrupt the company.

The Jolida that most people have, the JD100, is the next generation - and a different animal. Jolida learned from the 601 experience and built it from the ground up. Its built like a tank. Love my modded JD100, and its never left me wanting for more.

Some other threads involving the JD100:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/853080/ShowThread.aspx

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/937374.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/537615.aspx

Carl.

Greetings,

I wanted to take a moment first to thank the members here for not bashing myself here as well. I will not go into the details of that auction (which is now gone I see) mostly because I am still in awe about the whole thing. The crazy thing about all this is that the 601 did leave a LOT to be desired in regard to build quality but it really did sound very good for a $300 tube player. All the initial reviews as well as customer feedback indicated the build quality was junk. Nobody is denying that.

The JD100 is actually the 4th generation Jolida player. The 601 was the first, then came the 602 and then the 603. The 603 was the plastic silver unit. This also sounded very good but there were issues with the Sony transport and Sony would not stand behind them. The JD100 was Jolida's way of getting out from under the reputation caused by the it's predecessors and was designed and built from the ground up.

Greetings,

I wanted to take a moment first to thank the members here for not bashing myself here as well. I will not go into the details of that auction (which is now gone I see) mostly because I am still in awe about the whole thing. The crazy thing about all this is that the 601 did leave a LOT to be desired in regard to build quality but it really did sound very good for a $300 tube player. All the initial reviews as well as customer feedback indicated the build quality was junk. Nobody is denying that.

The JD100 is actually the 4th generation Jolida player. The 601 was the first, then came the 602 and then the 603. The 603 was the plastic silver unit. This also sounded very good but there were issues with the Sony transport and Sony would not stand behind them. The JD100 was Jolida's way of getting out from under the reputation caused by the it's predecessors and was designed and built from the ground up.

Are you the Bill in Upstate New York ? If you are, what are you calling Upstate? I wasn't flamming anyone, my tongue was in my cheek on my response !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oscar.........What don't you like about the Jolida? I'm curious, was thinking about looking into one. When I used the email address, they responded quick, but when I didn't buy, they never came back to me wondering why I didn't buy. No local dealer around here, have to buy on internet.

The cd player was all right.  It really open up when I changed the tubes to a vintage Sylvania.  The stock tubes were very poor.   I had one of their integrated Amps.  I don't recall exactly which one, I think it was a 502 (?).  It was noisy.  It had a background hiss that was from the machine that came through on my RF-7s.  I can only imagine how annoying it would have been on Khorns.  They told me it was normal and I said not for my listening enjoyment it isn't.  It got returned for full credit, no problems.

Since then I've stuck with the strategy of buying older equipment that was the best for its day or new equipment that's the best for today.  I ended up with a Sony ES777 CD/SACD player and an Accuphase E530 integrated.   I'm very pleased every time I use them (although I did have to replace the drive motor on the Sony).  No tubes.  No biasing.  No explaining to the wife about the package of tubes I just got.  I tried Cary equip but tubes and I just did not get along.  The Accuphase wasn't cheap but it is damn fine sounding.  Hope this helps

Well, I learned something else today. I didn't like the Jolida cdp's I had. I had the 601 and 603 models. Now I understand why. I haven't heard the 100 and I've got to give it a listen. Anyone around Indy or coming through Indy that could give me an audition?

I'm running the ShengYa/Vincent HDCD with upgrades and love it. It's the first tube CDP I've really liked but I'm always open to better. On a related note, I've been having a "harsh spot" in my highs for a week or so. Today I decided to FINALLY check my tubes. The problem was I pulled out my Tele's and put in a pair of Admiral NOS to test for sound for a buddy of mine and never changed them back. I found it today, put the Tele's back in and it's sweet sounding again. I feel so stupid because I went to Ovation in Greenwood this week and bought new AQ Sidewinders for amp to preamp and Diamondbacks for the CDP ic's and AQ X2 speaker wire. Now, the speaker wire made a noticable difference over the 14ga I was using so I feel like it was money well spent but the IC's made no difference whatsoever but they do look better.

Harry