Crossover upgrade

dgabriels

Is there a way to upgrade my Promedia 400 crossovers to the improved 4.1 designs?? Could I buy the networks and install them in my sub myself (of course I understand the warranty issues and necessary technical skill...)...?

If so, how much are the networks?

Also, who should I call regarding the preamp replacements-- are free updates still offered?

I own 2 ProMedia 400 systems and both could use the new preamps...

Thanks!

cwm30.gif

------------------

d2g

Don Gabrielson

d2g Multimedia

the preamps are free if and only if your speakrs are under a year old, but you would not get the CP-1 which has the headphone output.

the crossover network... Smile.gif You might as well just get the 4.1's and sell your v2.400's on eBay because i seriously doubt you will be able to get that info, and teh cost of doing it and workload will more than liekly not be worth it. I have the 4.1 and v2.400, the new crossover is not a night and dday difference, more of just like adding a DFX plugin to the system Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Yes there is a way to upgrade the crossovers in your aging v2.400 system. I did so myself for my set. I changed the crossovers in the satellites not the ones in the sub. I believe that the crossover in the sub was never changed. The crossover that you need to change is located in the sattelites themselves(midrange driver to tweeter). There are 3 components that you will need: a capacitor, resistor, and a coil. The total cost i spent on the new parts were approx 30 bucks canadian. You will need four sets of these three components because there are four satellites. You should also be familiar with soldering. Send me an e-mail and i can show you the schematic and the proepr values for each of the three components. gwun@hotmail.com

Keep in mind that the crossover network is different in the 4.1 set and in the 5.1 set.

------------------

-Chron!cRAGE

This message has been edited by DJediMaster on 12-30-2001 at 04:15 AM

And after modding the system i found that yes there is a night and day difference especially for music purposes. Depending on what type of music you listen to the difference can be very subtle at times. You will not get the same effect by purchasing the upgrade control pod.

------------------

-Chron!cRAGE

Great info, thanks! I use one set in my digital recording studio as a set of mid-range (in $ terms) reference monitors for mixing, so I am more critical than most when it comes to music...

My other set are used in a home theater setup alongside my Infinity 8 Kappas (Denon powered) and Onkyo sub... they're the front and rear channels and work well there with the exception of the s/n issue mentioned earlier. Sounds like the CP-1 is the answer for me since my sets are both from '99 and I didn't do a good job following the changes...

Just as a total aside...

Funny how sometimes we 'believe' that if it's on the web, everyone must know about it... not that it's an issue here, but I tend to see that more and more in life. How many of us actually sit around surfing for updates to everything we own??? Wish I had that kind of time...

Regardless, I really appreciate the info and I'll drop a line for the inside scoop...

Warmly, (no snow in DC yet...)

cwm41.gif

------------------

d2g

Don Gabrielson

d2g Multimedia