Help - Is this driver toast?

ken6432

I took the horn off of my midrange driver during my speaker build to make sure I hadn't gotten any sawdust down inside it. When I went to pick the driver up off of the table saw table, I didn't get a hold of the bottom of the magnet area and the driver ripped apart. Is this driver now ruined, or can it be put back together?

Thanks for the help.

Ken6432

post-18108-13819348733368_thumb.jpg

Ken,

As long as the magnet is aligned as original, it should work. I'm not sure about what I'm seeing, but the bolt holes should provide the precision needed.

Is the magnet held in the assembly by bolts? If it's one of the glued on types, as on most woofers, it's a story with a sad ending.

I guess I shoud have said this is the midrange driver from a Heresy II that I am building into a horizontal center chanel.

The edges of the coil look fine, no damage what so ever. The piece in the top of the photo (with the coil on it) and the piece on the right of the photo appear to have been glued together originally. This assembly was placed on the magnet with the spacer (on the left) sandwiched between them using the two pins as the alignement. The whole assembly is then bolted onto the horn with the four threaded holes in the magnet.

So Daddy Dee in response to your post, the top and right pieces are (were) glued together, but the horn mounts to the driver magnet with bolts.