Own RB5's now, upgrade to RF-83's or RF-7's?

AlanWinslow

I currently have been enjoying a pair of RB5's with a Pass Aleph 3 Clone and how good it sounds in a small second system. Enjoying them so much I'm thinking of buying a bigger pair of Klipsch for my main system.

In the main system are a pair of Energy Veritas 2.8 speakers which sound excellent but don't have the open dynamic sound of the RB5's. They are very refined and acurate but missing the live excitement.

My main system is for HT as well as 2 channel listening. I am confused by the different opinions written regarding the RF 7's and RF 83's. I do not have a local dealer to hear the RF 83's except for BB w/ the RF 82's.

The RB 5's do get a little grainy at the top during loud dynamic transients. In the writings regarding the RF83 mentioning the recessed highs and slightly less dynamics, do they lack detail or have similar properties to the RB5's.

I do have a line of either speakers new with about a $600 difference in the pair.I also would end up getting the RF64 or RC7 depending on the mains I settle on.

I know the Heritage for 2 channel would be a way to go but would not work out with my room setup.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks

You may try the 82s and see if they sound better or worse tha the rb5's to your ears.I had 83's and thought the 5's sounded as good on the top end,but I also prefer the 7's so....The 83's are a great speaker for those that like the 7's style but want it toned down a little.

I noticed that the rf83 are accurate at indy pilgrimage. I did hear a difference between it and the heritage models... but there was somethings that many people said at the pilgrimage.... they kept coming back to the rf-83 room....... coytee (owns jubilee), dtel and dtel's wife (owns forte and cornwall III) said they liked the system very much. Michael Hurd said that if it wasn't for a little bit of lack at the midrange that he would consider it one of the great speakers. Drwho likes them alot.

I listened to the rf-7 and the rf-83 and I guess i chose my bed [:P]

I noticed that the rf83 are accurate at indy pilgrimage. I did hear a difference between it and the heritage models... but there was somethings that many people said at the pilgrimage.... they kept coming back to the rf-83 room....... coytee (owns jubilee), dtel and dtel's wife (owns forte and cornwall III) said they liked the system very much. Michael Hurd said that if it wasn't for a little bit of lack at the midrange that he would consider it one of the great speakers. Drwho likes them alot.

I listened to the rf-7 and the rf-83 and I guess i chose my bed [:P]

Nice to hear some of the die-hard heritage fans appreciate the sound of the 83's! (like Mike Hurd said, I agree based on my auditions at Klipsch headquarters that LaScalas had a little better mid than the 83's, but the room flexibility I currently lack for speaker cabinet size and the newer "updated design" of the RF series swayed me to the 83's. (aesthetics.)

I also liked the low end on the 83's!

I really like my 83's and use them in a 2-channel setup with a McIntosh integrated and new Marantz SA-11 Reference SACD player.

I auditioned a lot of equipment, and I think for buying all NEW equipment, I got a tremendous value. (My dealer paid me a couple of home visits and he agreed that he has not heard many systems that sound better for the $$ I spent. --again, on NEW equipment, not used. He has sold a LOT of McIntosh high end gear over the years too.)

Now, my next "problem" will be with getting my hands on some Palladiums!! (I wonder how much better they will sound than the 83's?? If they do sound much better, I am wondering how efficient they will be. Hopefully, like all other Klipsch I won't need to even upgrade my amp!!) My other issue will be finding a dealer who stocks the Palladium so I can listen to them! Here in Columbus, the only dealer I know of has the RF series and the Heresy. (lack of floor space I guess.)

I am moving in 6 months to Dallas, and hope I can find a dealer who will stock the Palladiums. I can't quit thinking about them and haven't even heard them yet! (of course.)

It was no problem to drive 2.5 hours over to Klipsch to do my last audition in their listening room, but Dallas will be another story!