It needs more BARN !

colterphoto1

• Moderators

I like the idea of the steel construction, my neighbor had one put in about a year before the hurricane and it had no problem with the 125+ mph winds we had here, it's 30x40. The only difference is where you live the pitch of the roof would have to be different , we don't have to worry about snow load here. Steel building companies and installers have codes they have to use for every area, just use a well known company that has done work in your area that you may be able to go look at.

I like them because they are open in the center, no supporting poles to get in the way, then all you need to do is frame up any walls you want in the inside. What many people do is have it insulated, then when they frame up the interior walls and ceiling the insulate them like you would do a house. This gives you very good protection with the double insulation with the airspace in between.

I would think anyway you build it, if done correctly will add to the properly value. Like any building go as big as you can, you will fill it up.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with the steel, including a steel roof - little to no maintenance and should easily outlive you. A shingle roof probably needs to be replaced every 15 to 20 years, maybe 25 if you're really lucky. And I'm sure they have ways to deaden the sound. I also wouldn't worry too much about hail as a good steel roof should be able to withstand just about anything within reason.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick 2 cents worth- I bought a house last year with a small pole barn, more the size of the garage. The house came with a franklin stove, and when I went to insure the house, the Insurance Company sent me a set of dimensions that the wood burner had to be in order to meet their codes( 3 feet from the wall). I didn't meet the code, so I thought about moving the stove to the "garage". My sister, who is my insurance agent, said that I would not be able to get any coverage if I used a wood burner inside an outbuilding. Maybe just one insurance company's rules? Something to check on possibly?

BTW-I converted the franklin stove to natural gas logs, and everyone is happy! --Kevin

thought about moving the stove to the "garage". My sister, who is my insurance agent, said that I would not be able to get any coverage if I used a wood burner inside an outbuilding

Could the problem be, you have gas fumes in the garage and then go to light the stove?

James

thought about moving the stove to the "garage". My sister, who is my insurance agent, said that I would not be able to get any coverage if I used a wood burner inside an outbuilding

Could the problem be, you have gas fumes in the garage and then go to light the stove?

James

Yes James, that would certainly be a big problem! But I know of several mechanics who heat with wood while working on cars and nobody has blown up yet. I think insurance companies are afraid of the intense heat a wood burner is capable of putting out.

Yes James, that would certainly be a big problem! But I know of several mechanics who heat with wood while working on cars and nobody has blown up yet. I think insurance companies are afraid of the intense heat a wood burner is capable of putting out.

That could be it. I know of some mechanics that would heat their garage with a kerosene heater, talk about getting light headed.

James