Show off your 2ch system

damonrpayne

I think if it's been reliable and you're happy with how it looks and sounds, that is what matters. "What I think" about it is a pretty open-ended sort of question and could mean many different things. If there is something specific that you're interested in, I'll do my best to offer an opinion. I didn't really know my way around them until I figured the circuit out by making a map based on the physical wiring inside the amplifier (the one above). I always knew the general topology, but the specifics didn't become clear until I went to the trouble to figure it out -- which was confirmed when I located a schematic. It's really a pretty simple design, which to me is likely related to its very open and clear presentation. These restorations don't really change the essential elements of the circuit, other than for replacing a transformer, likely two, so they are matched for equal frequency response. The parts connected to the input are still there, just in a different form. The parts connected to outputs are still there, also in a different form in terms of what jacks are discarded and others added. The cathode bias resistor bypass capacitors are still there, just renewed electrolytic types (which may be one of the things I decided to change on the one I'm giving away. The interstage coupling capacitors are still there, but have changed in terms of both type and value. Using comparatively low-value capacitors on these vintage amps was not uncommon when they were being designed, but the original in this amp had a low end corner frequency that is a bit higher than more modern designs. Based in part on the input impedance of the output stage, the value of the coupling capacitor has been increased a bit. Within reason, coupling capacitor values can be altered a bit, depending on how someone chooses to voice the amplifier. The power supply filter capacitors have also been replaced with new, high voltage electrolytics. This specific amplifier most likely uses a ground plane scheme, which may work better in some systems with what's connected to it than others. If it's working well for you, as I said above, that's what matters. Hopefully I've touched on some of the things you may be interested in.

Erik

Erik,

The amp works perfectly and sounds great, it's a little piece of history to me and a nice one at that. I was just curious as to what you notice from the pic of the changes that were done, nothing more. It is however my backup amp, my Korneff 45 is my reference amp and probably always will be.

Jay

Yes, a pair of KG 4.2 placed horizontal. but I need to replace them with something better, because I cannot hear them AT ALL when the La Scalas are playing.

Nice! So basically, playing with individual dB settings for R, L and C doesn't help? Interesting...

Nice looking Cornwalls by the way.

Yes, I like the color, what is that color called ?

Thanks a bunch cornfedksboy, duder, dtel.

The color is custom - the guy who did my veneer work used some red dye and other stains - since I said - redder not browner - so he mixed up quite a few samples until we arrived at that color which I'm very happy with.

Here is how they looked when I picked them up:

I'm really digging the M125s - very fun to put together and the sound is very nice - I'm still listening to them and trying different tweaks like different preamp tubes - I've tried some mullards in the phono section and they seem to have made a nice difference.

Thanks,