Show off your 2ch system

damonrpayne

Ugh, tile setting is tough! I'm a carpenter with knee/back issues. I wore myself out, basically. Good for you! You must be in great shape!!

I was a bricklayer and contractor for 20 years and now a tile layer and contractor for 15 years. I do all of my work by myself with no helper to get in the way. The key is dont ever stop or you will never be the same again !

Back problems are surely not much fun....I've been there, and have continued reminders on some days. On the two channel front, I'm slowly beginning the second Baldwin amplifier rejuvenation, having found a completely stock example of the same one shown earlier in this thread. In addition to a complete rebuild of the earlier example shown, I found I was able to extract a quality of sound from that thing that truly surprised me. With some real care and attention, it is capable of becoming a thoroughly engaging and captivating amplifier, with dead-quiet performance during quiet passages of music. Much of this I attribute to its simplicity of design, but it has much of the air, space, presence, and immediacy of an SET amp (with the right speakers in the right room), but with a talent for punchy bass and really scintillating highs that are addictive -- but with the added benefit of more power that we need in our larger listening area. A couple of key parts in the circuit were removed, with addition of metal film resistors in some places and other types elsewhere. I look forward to the process of restoring another one of these for my own family. I'll post a picture of this 2-channel system to share when its done. erik

davis419b I like the look of both of your systems and rooms. Which is your favorite and why. Best regards Moray James.

Hey Moray,

Actually they are both my favorite systems because they are so different. My main system in the den is what I call my audiophile system for lack of a better word. With the pCats it is very laid back and smooth and no matter how loud you play it the sound never becomes fatiuging. The system in the living I would say is my rock and roll system as it will pound you into the couch. With my Tsakiridis amps the bass is just outstanding but sometimes it can get a little schrill sounding on the top if the volume is too high. I am still looking for a way to tame this a bit. Thanks for asking and open to suggestions.

Don

Just a guess but perhaps bigger horns might keep things under control when the level gets up there, are you sure the speaker is to blame for the edge at level.There is so much experience here on the forum I am sure somebody has already been there and done that. This is a great forum. Thanks for your comments on the systems. Best regards Moray James.

I'd like to add a word to what Erik has shared. I had one of the Baldwins several years ago and was impressed with it.It was a real bang for the buck champ and I thought it had real cool factor in being near 60 years old and the bass dynamics are astonishing. Didn't keep it that long, though, because to my ears the mids and hf were ok but not remarkable. What Erik has done with this amplifier is to genuinely improve the articulation and musicality of the mids and hf. The sound is really pleasing. The sound reminds me of the Transcendent amps by Bruce R. Thank you Erik. You've hit it out of the park on this one.

I'd like to add a word to what Erik has shared. I had one of the Baldwins several years ago and was impressed with it.It was a real bang for the buck champ and I thought it had real cool factor in being near 60 years old and the bass dynamics are astonishing. Didn't keep it that long, though, because to my ears the mids and hf were ok but not remarkable. What Erik has done with this amplifier is to genuinely improve the articulation and musicality of the mids and hf. The sound is really pleasing. The sound reminds me of the Transcendent amps by Bruce R. Thank you Erik. You've hit it out of the park on this one.

Hey Dee,

A question, have you heard Erik's Baldwin or are you going by his comments?

jay

Dee

You are welcome! I'm preparing the teardown and rebuild of my own in the not-too distant future. I was interested in taking this great old amplifier in a direction, based on my experiences, it hadn't been before. I'm very, very happy with the result, and really don't plan anything different from the one to which the post above refers. The main thing I need are suitable output transformers. Had a pair once that would have been great, but don't now. I have some other ideas regarding that, but we'll see how things go. erik

...and good grief, of course a very sincere THANKS for your kind words. The original plan was simply to make it work again, but I found so much more possible in terms of voicing, grounding, and power supply rejection that it developed into quite a project. I would like to say, though, that this particular Baldwin amp has been moderately common in DIY vacuum tube audio electronics circles. Doubtless there are many very good examples out there being enjoyed as primary reference amplifiers. erik