Speaker stands for forte IIs

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Wait till you guys see the speaker stands dtel built to hold our L/R front forte IIs! Talk about cool!

Yes I know I will embarass him by posting this, but I am really excited about these stands.

He started/finished the construction of the stands this evening when we got in from work. I will paint them tomorrow and hopefully we can move them into the family room tomorrow evening.

I really need to get him to take before and after pictures. The forte IIs were "hurried" onto a "makedo" shelf when we won the Cornwall IIIs at the Pilgrimage in Hope. We finally got around to building stands for them because we are once again doing some remodeling on the house.

I think you guys will really like the stands he built.

I told him he had to take some pics for me to post tomorrow evening.....but he may need a little encouragement...you guys know he's a little shy![:o]

• Moderators

The stands are just primed in black....for now....until the "Minister of Design" (that's me) decides what color they will be. We had to get them off the shelves to get on the rest of the remodeling.

See we do put our Klipsch speakers "up on a pedestal"!

post-20052-13819348921578_thumb.jpg

Nice looking stands you built. What is the round tube made of?

I own a pair of Forte's and don't consider them "book shelf" speakers but if I was using them as a pair of surrounds I guess it makes sense to put them on pedestals. I would be afraid that the kids would knock them down.

• Moderators

PVC pipe 6" I got the idea from..

http://www.classiccolumn.com/

There was no dealers within a few states and I needed to take the temporary shelves down to remodel. So I built it out of PVC and wood. they are off the ground because in the other corner is where the sub goes So I put them on stands and put the sub right in front of the stand, still in the corner, the sub is a 2' x 2' box 5 cf.

They will be on stands until the next change, but they have to stay in the room because we use 4 Forte ll's and 2 Forte's for HT.

• Moderators

Dee, no there is a round piece of wood inside the end of the PVC, screwed thru the pipe into the wood, then the base is screwed and glued to the wood in the PVC. The wooden rings are then slid down around the pipe and glued.

I tried just the PVC/wood screwed to a base first to see if it was strong enough, when it would not move I figured it would be strong enough to make the rings. It's stronger than you would think, it surprised me, the base is 16" square and the top is almost the same size as a Forte ll.

There is 4 of those thick felt rings between the base and the speaker. I had removed the bases off the Forte's and turned them upside down and have them setting on their tops, horns about even with your head when sitting on the sofa The grill is just turned around to put the names back on top..

It will do to the next time things get rearranged !

• Moderators

Southern, we don't consider the forte IIs to be "bookshelf" speakers either. However, with four forte IIs and two fortes and sub doing surround sound and a pair of Cornwall IIIs for 2 channel (all in the same room)....something had to give or "go up:"...so the forte IIs went up on the columns!

OB, do you really think we would put our Klipsch speakers "up on a pedestal" if we thought there was any way possible it wasn't safe! I thought you knew dtel and I better than that.

I am not sure why dtel keeps saying "it will do to the next time things get rearranged"![;)] Maybe he knows something I don't know![:o]

PVC columns, great choice. My first guess was that cardboard tube the use to fill cement for construction. I've read about people who filled their columns with sand to "deaden" the sound transmitted through it.

6 Forte's, 2 Cornwalls and a sub all in the same room, quite the Klipsch showcase.

Where are the before pictures?