Turntable pitch calibration question

ajcllc

I have a Dual 1219 turntable with a calibration disc. However, there is no light built into the turntable. I understand that I need a 60 hertz fluorescent light. Where can I get one? I checked at several hardware stores, but no one seems to have one. Please help. Thanks!

Any light run on 60-Hz AC current will do, including a tungsten bulb, because they all go on and off 60 times (or I guess it's 120 times)/sec. Don't expect a DC light like a flashlight to show the effect. Fluorescent bulbs are better because they seem to go more completely off between cycles, which sharpens the effect, while tungstens operate on heat and only drop intensity somewhat between voltage peaks. All this is usually borderline too fast for the human eye to see.

You can probably get a small, inexpensive fluorescent lamp at Home Depot. With either kind of lamp, maximize its light on the strobe disk by keeping outside light to a minimum. Keep a steady gaze at one spot on the moving bars, and sooner or later you'll see simulated bars, either standing still (the speed is exactly right) or slowly drifting in the same direction as the platter is turning (too fast) or the opposite direction (too slow).

Larry

Variations in the frequency of the mains power line are continuously corrected by the utility. By law they have to "catch up" if they fall behind and "back off" if they get ahead. They have to maintain the correct number of cycles over time because the majority of electric clocks use the 60 cycle frequency to stay on time - this allows us to enjoy clocks that can be relied upon even after months of continuous use. (Well except for power outages...)

While a fluorescent lamp might work, a neon lamp is what you really need. A neon lamp will transition from off to on and make the strobe markings easier to see instead of the flickering from a fluorescent. Radio Shack has several neon lamps with the necessary built-in dropping resistor. Just take an old extension cord, cut off the female end and solder and tape the neon lamp pigtails. Don't forget to observe correct polarity---just kidding.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062373&cp=&sr=1&origkw=neon&kw=neon&parentPage=search

Lee