Count Basie

boomac

Why cant we have bands like this today? With all the crapola on TV & Movies you would think people would go nuts over this kind of talent!

Sometime in the mid to late 70's, a buddy and I went to see the Count Basie Orchestra at a supper club called Zigfield's in Tulsa, OK. We sat in a curved booth center stage. We were a couple of long-hairs in three piece suits (surrounded by 70 year olds) and living large. He just blew us away! Couldn't believe so many could play so tight! No PA that night, completely pure sound.

After they stopped playing, we went over to the bar for a night-cap. A short, heavy set man with a funny cap sat down and said "hello, my name is Bill Basie". We closed the place drinking with Mr. Bill. Still have the Zigfield cocktail napkin with his autograph, stuck in a book somewhere. Man, if I could only reproduce the sound that I heard that night!

tc

I cant imagine anybody laughing old buckster. Woody Hermans bands were hot! Miller had a great sound as well. My uncle, (just turned 80) really knows big band. He loved them all but claims Basies had the edge with Duke right behind! If you don't already have it, pick up Frank Sinatra at The Sands with Count Basie.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Great story IB Slammin! Experiences like yours contribute greatly to the quality of our lives.

I met Louis Armstrong at a music circus in Lambertville, NJ many moons ago. I can still picture him decked out in a heavily starched white dress shirt even though it was sweltering hot! I still have the program and it holds one of my favorite autographs.

Well I'm about to find out about this man and his band. Picked up about 25 of Count Basie this weekend. Mostly Pablo label so I presume they are reissues but in incredibly minty shape.

I'll give a couple a listen and let you know my thoughts.

As much as a "Rock n' Roller" that I am, I do enjoy the music of the Big Bands from time to time, I realize they aren't considered a Big Band, but the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is one fine unit, but you didn't hear that from me.................[;)]...............or, the Funk Brothers........[Y]

Woody Herman, The Duke, Basie, Stan Kenton, etc., etc. I love 'em all and have quite a few LPs from each. I don't listen all the time but when I'm in a sentimental mood........Listened to my MFSL copy of Woody's "The Fourth Herd" tonight and was blown away as usual. I also love all the Sinatra/Basie, Sinatra/Ellington, etc. They could really swing man.

Marty - I have a couple Basie/Fitzgerald on Pablo (red and orange vinyl). Good stuff.

Thebes, the Pablo records are generally very good, especially "Pablo Live" lps. I have a Basie live on pablo that is on red vinyl that will blow you away with its presence of being "there." It might be a direct to disk effort I'm not sure and not around to check on it. At any rate, I recommend the pablo live lps whole-heartedly. Enjoy yours...

As for Count Basie he is my all time favorite big band leader. His style was totally unique that no else can quite duplicate, with it's laid back timing that's almost off yet isn't, the big fat sound of the ensemble parts, and the joyful, sparse and humorous solos and comping of Basie himself.

There are college bands doing the Big Band thing. And some professional bands are out there.

OTOH, I have "In the Digital Mood" and "After Midnight". These recordings, in my listening, are perfect technically and perfect performances. Still, they seem to lack that quality sometimes called, soul.

Maybe they are swing without swing . . . much like recent day "covers" are recognizable as poor mimics of the original.

Gil

Thebes gave me a bunch of Count Basie LPs yesterday to see which (if any) I'd like to pick up. Long ago, I liked his very unified, bouncy, invigorated style, but haven't heard him for a while. I'd like some expert recommendations for special LPs among the following -- I only want to keep 1 to 3:

Here's the list:

Prime Time

Me and You

On the Sunny Side of the Street (Ella & Basie)

A Classy Pair (Ella and Basie)

Send in the Clowns (Sarah Vaughan and Basie)

Count Basie: Kansas City 3 "For the Second Time" (Louie Bellson & Ray Brown)

Count Basie and the Kansas City 7

I Told You So

Farmers Market Barbecue

Basie Big Band

Warm Breeze [digital]

The Timekeepers (Basie & Oscar Peterson)

88 Basie Street

For the First Time

Thanks!

Larry

Why cant we have bands like this today? With all the crapola on TV & Movies you would think people would go nuts over this kind of talent!

You've been to the "big time" L.A. jazz clubs, Scott. 25 people listening to Jack Sheldon at Jax? 75 at Charlie O's for the likes of John Heard and Roy McCurdy? Maybe 150 people at The Bakery for Benny Golson?

That's the state of jazz these days.

But next time you come to L.A., try to stay over on a Monday--big band night at Charlie O's is pretty amazing. The Frank Capp big band is there about once a month--very much in the Basie bag.