Wired.com article: Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin

jtnfoley

While I won't agree that Vinyl is the Nail in CD's coffin, I do have to agree that I am happy most don't see it as a viable format. I love the fact that my wife seems to come home with boxes of LP's that she bought for the artwork for usually $.25 to $1.00 an album. I can't buy one song for that price on I-Tunes. I am not by an means saying I am a vinyl lover, by my previous posts, you can see I am just getting into it, but each medium has its advantages and disadvantages and I have them all now..Vinyl, CD, SACD, DVD-A and digital stored media.

To each their own, but enjoy them all.

KAK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, have a nice day OB.

Thanks ............. I'd love to hang out and chew the fat with you really .......... I'm not a mean oldbuckster, but you might end up throwing me out, I'm stubborn. I'm waiting for delivery of Levon Helm's ..Dirt Farmer, and Alvin Lee's..Saguitar , and have waited long enough ........... just curious, where you located ?

The $50 a pop LP blurb is just insane and misleading. I buy TONS of NEW records for $9.99-$14.99 many of which include a free album download as well. Yeah, there are 2/3 LP sets pressed on 200gm audiophile vinyl that cost $50 but not every LP that comes out. In many cases the LP at my local store is cheaper than the cd. It also drives me nuts when people say that they don't like the clicks and pops, etc. Well that's like me saying I don't like to listen to scratched cd's that skip. Well no crap...who in the hell likes that? It's not a fair judgment on vinyl when you're listening to dirty/scratched vinyl on an inferior setup. And you don't need a $5000 to get great sound. A $350 Rega P1 will smoke MANY $1000+ cd players any day of the week.

Scratched cd's, inferior set-ups, $1000. Cd Players, where are you coming from.............. many on this forum have thousands of dollars into turntables and related gear, I hate TICS, and POPS, that's my thing, and I've had good decent turntables, discwasher systems, the whole nine yards, and it's not worth it to me..........30 plus years of using Vinyl is enough for me ................ Bottom line here, Vinyl is all there was when I started collecting music, no choice, well maybe 8 track later on, as a matter of fact, stereo had just about started, everything was HI-FI, remember HI-FI, or stereo compatable................Todays youth don't know what Records are, could care less about turntables, and have a little gadget, I think they call them I-pods...................Vinyl is dead..............this really is old stuff, every 6 months or so, this subject comes up, what's next, SETs vs. Push Pull ???? ..............Enjoy your music however you choose to listen to it........It's the music, not the media.........EH !!!!!!!!!

The article is probably over stated and a bit misleading - but funnily enough it could be closer to the truth than might otherwise be obvious.

The major threat to CD - as others have noted is downloadable music in all its forms along with any other form of digital music that is available today.

This means that ultimately the only people who are likely to buy CD's will be the luddites (like us) who crave quality and the ability to actually own the music on a physical form.

The thing is - so many of those luddites (small in number as they are) actually keep and buy vinyl for many of the reasons (above) that CD might be purchased.

If the CD market is dwindling it will overlap more and more with the vinyl market. Vinyl could indeed be the FINAL nail in its coffin.

Interestingly, and on a related note. I read recently that 70% of UK singles in the charts are available on 7 inch vinyl disks - and they sell like crazy. Apparently it is in vogue with the kids to download the music and then buy it on vinyl - even if they do not have a record player.

Quality has long since not been the driver for music buying. Convenience is king and the download trumps the CD at that. CD in technology terms is as many generations old as is vinyl in real terms - if not more, The music server now rules the roost. Vinyl will always have a market of course - but CD? I wonder.

"The major threat to CD - as others have noted is downloadable music in all its forms along with any other form of digital music that is available today."

agree.  media servers and other electronic storage and playback of music files is a fast growing industry.  

I have CD decks and turntables and do not use either....we have 5 medis servers with over 100 gb's of music in electronic form that play using various criteria that results in no intervention between songs or albums.

In my opinion music video DVD's are what I want. I really don't want vinyl or cd's after actually watching and hearing the performance on DVD. There seems to be something missing from vinyl, tape, or cd-----oh yes, 90% of the performance.

JJK

In my opinion music video DVD's are what I want. I really don't want vinyl or cd's after actually watching and hearing the performance on DVD. There seems to be something missing from vinyl, tape, or cd-----oh yes, 90% of the performance.

JJK

I'll second that ............ at worst you get is a live performance you can listen to if your not in the room watching, Good Call !!!!!!!!!!!!

OB, sure do agree with you "it's the music that matters". The medium must also matter if (arguably) one is sonically better than the other. To me there is no argument i know what i hear, and like the vast majority of this forum i am also seeking that extra step towards sonic nirvanah. For me this would be one i would recommend to anyone, a good quality T/T need'nt cost more than your better cd player and is more than off-set by the inexpensive vinyl. I'm not trying to convince anybody, simply putting forward my experience. Now this is not my personal opinion, this is an observation..that all things being equal a vinyl source will/can out-perform c/d in a number of the parameters that we judge the quality of our music.

Ps. I'm located in Hope.

I can go there with you oldenough.....past weekend there was a audible change in my music system which I attribute to the new Tung Sol 12 AX7 tube in the phono section of the preamp finally getting burned in or either the stylus in the Clearaudio Virtuoso wood cartridge has reached its pinnacle. Either way......I listened to vinyl only for the weekend. Got some new cds from Amazon yesterday and was thinking how much I preferred the lps....tics, pops and all. BTW.....I own a decent tubed cdp.

Whadda ya mean " Hope, Arkansas"...home of Klipsch Heritage. Arkansas???? That would explain a year of searching for the speaker factory in Hope Bc, and the strange looks on the locals faces. Did find a Nestle' bottled water plant though, same water that comes thru our taps, but cheaper.

Geez...... I think you guys are serious, I turned 40 this week and the last time I even heard an LP was when my mom played Elvis, on a real piece of crap player. I think it was the year he died. Am I missing something..... But of course if someone was to give me (haha) a "record player" (are they still called that? ) I have not seen an LP since I was a little kid........... That or all that stuff I did to erase my brain cells worked....

Brac

Of course since I got my Khors, I've wanted to audition a Tube AMP..... not easy to do in Maine.

Whadda ya mean " Hope, Arkansas"...home of Klipsch Heritage. Arkansas???? That would explain a year of searching for the speaker factory in Hope Bc, and the strange looks on the locals faces. Did find a Nestle' bottled water plant though, same water that comes thru our taps, but cheaper.

North of the Border.........EH ? Didn't you move there awhile ago ? How do you like it there? Kinda' a long ride for me...probably just as well, I hate it when people tell me to leave !!!!!!!!

Yes moved here permanently from Washington state about a year and a half ago, my wife is Canadian. Beautiful place surrounded by mountains and the Frazer and Coquihalla Rivers. Great fishing, hiking, and biking (motorbike). Do'nt miss Wa state too much, it's pretty similar and just a hop across the border, but i sometimes yearn for Florida which was home for ten years prior to that.

Geez...... I think you guys are serious, I turned 40 this week and the last time I even heard an LP was when my mom played Elvis, on a real piece of crap player. I think it was the year he died. Am I missing something..... But of course if someone was to give me (haha) a "record player" (are they still called that? ) I have not seen an LP since I was a little kid........... That or all that stuff I did to erase my brain cells worked....

Brac

Of course since I got my Khors, I've wanted to audition a Tube AMP..... not easy to do in Maine.

Brac, where are you in Maine? You might want to hunt down Greg928S4 (I think that's it) ... He's got killer tube amps and Klipschorns. He's Downeast in the Waterville area ...

Chris

Yes moved here permanently from Washington state about a year and a half ago, my wife is Canadian. Beautiful place surrounded by mountains and the Frazer and Coquihalla Rivers. Great fishing, hiking, and biking (motorbike). Do'nt miss Wa state too much, it's pretty similar and just a hop across the border, but i sometimes yearn for Florida which was home for ten years prior to that.

Gosh, now you need a passport to come back to the States ............ that's so stupid ....... Now that I think about, I remember when you made the move, glad your happy there, in the end, the way things are going in this country, you probably made the right move. How are the Winters there ? Ooops, straying alittle off subject ....... EH !!! I don't care, old subject anyway ............. Your lucky, now I can't drop in ........... Florida .... Who would miss Florida ?...... [:D]........................(gotcha' Mike)