Wired.com article: Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin

jtnfoley

Whadda ya mean " Hope, Arkansas"...home of Klipsch Heritage. Arkansas???? That would explain a year of searching for the speaker factory in Hope Bc, and the strange looks on the locals faces. Did find a Nestle' bottled water plant though, same water that comes thru our taps, but cheaper.

Oops... my bad!! [:$]

Florida .... Who would miss Florida ?...... Big Smile........................(gotcha' Mike)

Good one ob! [:D]

Mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Dexter, about an hour north of Waterville and an hour west on Bangor. Moved here from Miami about 6 years ago. Best thing we ever did. Yup, must be God's Country, people speak English. We are out in the country, bought a house on a lake sight unseen while we still lived in Miami. At that time I had never been to Maine..

I'm in Dexter, about an hour north of Waterville and an hour west on Bangor. Moved here from Miami about 6 years ago. Best thing we ever did. Yup, must be God's Country, people speak English. We are out in the country, bought a house on a lake sight unseen while we still lived in Miami. At that time I had never been to Maine..

Oh My, you are certainly up there, glad you like it, different part of the country, some different than Miami, Moose Country. Good for you .......... God's Country indeed, not for everyone ........ hardy bunch of folks up there !!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I've noticed with new release vinyl is that the CD version of that particular record tends to sound better than most digital only releases. I've got CDs of most of the new release LPs that I've heard and while I invariably prefer the LP, the CDs sound excellent as well. My opinion is that artists that tend to publish on vinyl share certain aesthetic priorities that work for me.

some examples...

Wilco - Blue Sky Blue
Aimee Mann - (I'm drawing a blank on the album title here...)
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Just reading the article now and reacting as I go...

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

Well, that's not really true. Audio can have its dynamic range compressed without limit on any medium. The finite maximum level on digital media has indeed allowed mastering techniques that use significant compression as they seek to increase their average levels in an effort to compete on the airwaves. Many records that are produced with analog release as a priority tend to disregard this competition. If you're looking to sell records to music lovers, there's no point in making music that sounds as loud as what is broadcast. There are simply different goals in mind when the music is recorded and subsequently mastered.

Audio can still be squashed and squeezed into a narrow dynamic range when mastered for vinyl release, though. It was for decades when LPs were still a major force is commercial releases.

Vinyl's popularity has been underreported before.

"The Consumer Electronics Association said that only 100,000 turntables were sold in 2004. Numark alone sold more than that to pro DJs that year," said Chris Roman, product manager for Numark.

And the vinyl-MP3 tag team might just hasten the long-predicted death of the CD.

That I can agree with. The combination of a good quality RIAA preamp and A/D converter via USB is extremely handy these days.

Okay lets be real cds are not dying they are morphing into the MP3 players and computers music files(21 century cd). A music cd is a storage device for the 0 and 1s. Now Hard drives are what the cd has been replaced by which holds thousands and thousands of songs( 0 and 1s) on the HD. The basic technology is the same 0 and 1s just being able to store alot more of them. It is still digital music so who cares if it is not on a cd. Today it is even more convient than the cd was back in the 80s.

The idea that vinyl has anything to do with the "death of the cd" is crazy. People will not be puting a little round disc in the player anymore!! So what!! Instead they will just go to their MP3 player or comp and still be using digital music just not on a cd.

So while turntables and records sales have increased it is still a hobby for a small percentage of music listeners world wide. It is not going to replace the digital music most people use today.

I am not bashing vinyl or it's sound quality, my best friend used to dj with a vinyl set up with La Scalas and it sounded incredible!!! I know how good vinyl can sound compared to CDs, no can't use CDs anymore have to start using just Digital. So I want to stress I am not bashing vinyl and anyone who enjoys it.

I just bought a tube DAC and I am setting up my computer as a transport and the sound quality is as good as a CD. Vinyl is takes up too much room and I have never owned vinyl and don't want to have to start replacing everything with vinyl now. Maybe if I win the lottery.

For overall best sound quality in my opinion goes to vinyl. Digital with current technology has improved the sound quality of CDs/Digital if the artist and sound eng want it that way. Of course digital is much more convinent than vinyl.

So while the CD as a storage media is on it's way to the grave blame MP3 players and computers cause it's still digital just a lot smaller and vinyl has nothing to do with it at all!!

Ben said:

"One thing I've noticed with new release vinyl is that the CD version of that particular record tends to sound better than most digital only releases. I've got CDs of most of the new release LPs that I've heard and while I invariably prefer the LP, the CDs sound excellent as well. My opinion is that artists that tend to publish on vinyl share certain aesthetic priorities that work for me."

They are probably some of the artist who don't let the music industry dictate to them how to record and engineer the album. So they record and engineer the album to sound great on both vinyl and Cd/digital.

I have some cds that sound great:

Jack Johnson all his albums

Donavon Frankenreiter album from Brushfire records.

James Hunter People gonna talk

Ray Lamontagne Till the sun turns black

are artist who albums sound excellent. I don't know if there are vinyl versions but if there are I would highly recomend them for their sound quality on cd so if on vinyl it should be great also.

If I read that right, $200 per prerecorded tape is out of my league, too. I suppose 10.5" reels, since each recording seems to be two reels at 15 ips (my lil' Revox is only 3.75 and 7.5). Wow, talk about all-out!

I dunno if that's real good hope for reel-to-reel!

Larry

Pauln wrote:

"Cd's (and downloads, and servers, pods, et al digital) may be the final nail in music's coffin, think about it..."

It's possible it will be the nail in the large music companies coffin!

I think that with so many great independent artist using websites, youtube, Myspace.com, and other digital means to get their music out to a much larger audince people are discovering they do not have to depend on the large music labels to for great music.

I live in Austin and local bands have a huge impact on Austin's economy. Only a few of the bands in Austin will ever get a major label's album contract. Which is a shame cause there are so many great bands in Austin and all over the world that with digital you can discover them now.

I think that digital will give the power back to the bands and the people spending the money for the music.

Pauln can you elaborate more on your idea.

Cd's (and downloads, and servers, pods, et al digital) may be the final nail in music's coffin, think about it...

Can't agree with you there Paul. I started listening to music as a kid with a Transistor radio pressed up against one ear under the covers at night.

Believe me - the sound quality was way worse than any digital offering of today.

Unless - of course - you are not refering to a quality issue. If it is the ability to record someone's work for free - again not all that much has really changed. I used to tape off the radio back in the day....