Heresy Industrial (Ported)

triceratops

Looks aside Michael.... Which ones, to you, sound the best?

I've personally heard a lot of variation in different vintages of standard Heresy's. I don't know how much of it is due to different drivers, crossover variations, capacitor drift, or other variables. I know that Marshall feels the degree of cabinet sealing is a big part of it, too.

The HIP's are obviously a different animal since they're definitely not sealed! I'll be curious to compare them with my regular Heresy's and to hear Michael's observations.

Hi John,

Honestly, I had forgotten about the cabinets. I don't have any plans to come your way soon, and I don't want them to be(come) a burden, so do what you will. If it remains convenient to store them, I would appreciate it.

If you don't want to take on the "wallpaper project", I bet someone else here would.

Regards,

Chris

• 11 years later...
5 minutes ago, Frank merchant said:

What did you think about your industrial ported versus heresys ones

Even though the thread is from the last decade the OP Mr, @triceratops is still posting here so maybe he will see this and weigh in.

Although I've never heard the HIP from what I've read a lot of people like the live! sound the HIP's have.  I think several posters have heard/owned both.  Maybe someone will weigh in and give you a better answer.

Frank are you looking to pick up at a set of HIP's?

I have a HIP II as a center channel with Hersey 1's as front and surrounds in my living room.  They make a great center channel.  I have had it for probably 15 years or so.  When I researched it and asked Klipsch the response was that they were specifically made for clear vocals.  Having said all that I have never had a pair so I have never had a chance to A/B them with the non ported versions.

Laters,

Jeff

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but info posted in various places (in threads here and on the Internet) about the Heresy HIP are not consistent. Not that you would expect opinions to be consistent, but a lot of the info is confusing. The HIP does have low bass output. 

Following are my opinions and observations from having Heresy 1's (1979, listened to these for many years before the mod, then modded into Claude's Super Heresy) and Heresy HIP's (1980);

- The HIP's in their OE configuration do have low bass output, however, it is overshadowed by the midarange and tweeter output levels being much higher. 

- The HIP can be "turned into" a Super Heresy by simply lowering the midrange & tweeter levels to suite your taste. From the factory (at least on my HIP's) the tweeter is run wide open (tap 5, 0dB) and the midrange is on tap 4, -3dB. If efficiency is not your primary consideration, then you can sacrifice some of the midrange output and reduce it down -6dB or even -9dB. Don't forget to change the 8uF cap going to the T2A as you change taps for the midrange. Below is a cheater guide for the cap:

Tap 4 - 8uF

Tap3 - 4uF

Tap 2 - 2uF

Tap 1 is not considered because the midrange output would be too low.

- Stuffing the enclosure. Turning the HIP into the Super Heresy is finalized by adding your favorite stuffing material in the Heresy enclosure. I would suggest reading through Claude's Super Heresy build thread to get all the details. 

- In conclusion, the end result is a great home HiFi speaker that is easy to listen to on its own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1