$98.87 Toshiba HD-DVD players starting this Friday

el jopez

The holidays start early this year for everyone courtesy of Wal-mart. For anyone waiting for an excuse to buy, this might be the perfect incentive. Enjoy.

Source

[edit] Random sources on the web beleive it may be 11/02 for the discount,but there hasn't been any real verification yet. It could very well be a Black Friday promo.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhhmmmmm..........

Doesn't sound like that bad of a deal. The player gets some pretty good reviews, but doesn't have a 1080P output. The Tosshiba HD-A20 does has 1080P. Maybe Toshiba was dumping there stock in the HD-A2's so they can push the HD-A20 for Christmas.

I might have to stop into Wally World in the morning.

Steve

The HD dvd players are going on sale everywhere because they are trying to flood the market and push Bluray out, BluRay no doubt is better and there for is still more expensive. I would even waste 50 dollars on a HD player. Get a sony BluRay or hell even a new playstation will do bluray. If you have a Plasma and the right sound system you will "feel" the difference. I tried both and bluray is the way to go!!

The HD dvd players are going on sale everywhere because they are trying to flood the market and push Bluray out, BluRay no doubt is better and there for is still more expensive. I would even waste 50 dollars on a HD player. Get a sony BluRay or hell even a new playstation will do bluray. If you have a Plasma and the right sound system you will "feel" the difference. I tried both and bluray is the way to go!!

I'm normally not a fan of thread crapping, but that was a fairly uneducated response and is little more than trolling. Bluray is not "no doubt better". I would be surprised if anyone here could tell the difference in picture between the two. At least HD-DVD has a unified standard. All of the first and second generation Blu-Ray players are not capable of the final blu-ray spec except maybe the PS3 because it's in software. This is because Sony was in such a rush to get the PS3 out that they shipped before the blu-ray spec was even fully standardized. Realistically, either system provides access to additional and much needed HD material and at this type of price (<$200), neither is a bad investment. Sorry you feel the way you do, but your closed mindedness is causing you to miss out on Transformers in HD as well as many other great titles. I have for the record owned both formats (and D-VHS for that matter) and would consider neither to be a waste (well D-VHS was kind of a waste).

The main website doesn't even list the HD-A2 as an item they carry - or ANY Toshiba DVD player for that matter. I will be stopping by Walmart in the morning - but as the ones by me don't even open until 10, I'm not holding my breath on them actually having this in stock as it is a brand they don't normally carry.

How good an HD film looks depends on the condition of the master the HD transfer was made from and the job the compressionists did. The compressionists can do a better job by being able to use a higher bitrate throughout the encode. The greater space of BluRay means they can use more space for video and still have space for lossless audio. This fact combined with the higher max audio/bitrate supported is an absolute technical advantage for BluRay.

I hope BluRay wins in the marketplace: if you take away which studio and which CE companies are supporting which format you are left at the end of the day with a technology stack, and I'd like the better tech stack to win. Who wins in the marketplace remains to be seen.

How good an HD film looks depends on the condition of the master the HD transfer was made from and the job the compressionists did. The compressionists can do a better job by being able to use a higher bitrate throughout the encode. The greater space of BluRay means they can use more space for video and still have space for lossless audio. This fact combined with the higher max audio/bitrate supported is an absolute technical advantage for BluRay.

I hope BluRay wins in the marketplace: if you take away which studio and which CE companies are supporting which format you are left at the end of the day with a technology stack, and I'd like the better tech stack to win. Who wins in the marketplace remains to be seen.

And what does that have to do with the sale?

And what does that have to do with the sale?

There were two posts above that went on a video quality tangent, I followed them.

Blu-ray may have a storage space advantage, but HD-DVD has a stricter standard and costs less. Both camps have pros and cons, but in reality it's the software that really counts. Either format would be an improvement over standard DVD.

Many point to the Beta vs VHS, but that is a fairly flawed argument. When the VHS/Beta war was active, the choice for consumers was either no video playback in their homes or one of the two new formats. VHS, while technically inferior, won due to software support. DVD was adopted quickly because it was a convenience over VHS. You don't have to rewind a DVD. Now consumers are asked to upgrade to one of two new formats that the average consumer sees as little more than a fancy DVD. It's no more convenient than the DVDs they already own but costs more and may end up obsolete like Beta. Personally I'd be happy with either format, but would rather see the HD-DVD win, as it's lower cost will lead to a quicker adoption as a format. The sooner one format or the other really goes mainstream, the sooner more content and hopefully cheaper content will be available.

To make a short story long..... a $99 player is a good thing. the more players out there, the more content will be created.

Well let's try posting those to this thread instead:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/969535.aspx

Now - back to the sale... at this point, I am calling BS.

The domain is listed as ri-walmart.com - and is registered to a completely different postal and email address than walmart.com:

Domain Name: WALMART.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Wal-Mart Stores dns@WALMART.COM
7000 MARINA BLVD
BRISBANE, CA 94005-1830
US
650.837.5900 fax: 650.624.7651

See - that makes sense - for the admin contact to be at walmart.com - what DOESN'T make sense is this:

Domain Name: RI-WALMART.COM

Administrative Contact:
Vaeth, Brian bvaeth@resource.com
Wal-Mart Stores
702 Southwest 8th Street
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716
United States
(614) 410-2188 Fax -- (614) 621-2873

Technical Contact:
Vaeth, Brian bvaeth@resource.com
Wal-Mart Stores
702 Southwest 8th Street
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716
United States
(614) 410-2188 Fax -- (614) 621-2873

Also - that domain was registered on Sept 25th of THIS YEAR on GoDaddy for only one year, while the corporate domain was registered in 1995 on Network Solutions and is valid until at least 2010.

Companies do not usually use multiple registrars for their domains, nor do they use different corporate offices when they register them. Use this link with extreme caution.

To make a short story long..... a $99 player is a good thing. the more players out there, the more content will be created.

It's a good thing for some people, but not for the ecosystem. The big winners in all of this are conntent creators and end users. Those two groups cannot play without the CE companies. The amount it takes to play and the margins they stand to gain are not that great for CE companies. Suppose that a real good looking HD movie is 30gb-50gb. It will be years upon years (my guess is 10) before enough people have the bandwidth to just grab a 30gb movie and store it. HD packaged media depends on the ecosystem of CE companies, content creators, and customers all thinking this is in their best interest. If format wars make the CE aspect an instant race to the bottom, they are going to run away and hide the next time new technology comes out.

Damon - like I already suggested - it would be better take it here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/969535.aspx so we can continue discussing apples in this thread, and oranges in that one.

As for the sale - I stand 100% corrected. I went to wally world over lunch, talked with the store manager, showed him a print of the ad, and he verified for me that they are in stock, under lock and key as they are not a regular catalog item (they do not carry toshiba dvd decks period, company wide), and the registers will be reflecting the sale price as of 8am.

From what he indicated, this was a special closeout buy of these players from Toshiba warehouses for the exact reason mentioned earlier in the thread - pushing of the A20, and they got some absolutely off the chain pricing for these decks.

So much so that when I went to BB and discussed it with the store and Magnolia manager there - they indicated that while they normally do price match - they were completely unable to touch that price as it would be below their cost.

Never thought I would see the day where we could shop at walmart for legit quality A/V - WTF! :)

Guess where I will be at 745 tomorrow morning?

This will put a serious dent in the HD/BR war, especially if other stores and manufacturers follow suit - but that is better left discussed http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/969535.aspx

It's a good thing for some people, but not for the ecosystem. The big winners in all of this are conntent creators and end users. Those two groups cannot play without the CE companies. The amount it takes to play and the margins they stand to gain are not that great for CE companies. Suppose that a real good looking HD movie is 30gb-50gb. It will be years upon years (my guess is 10) before enough people have the bandwidth to just grab a 30gb movie and store it. HD packaged media depends on the ecosystem of CE companies, content creators, and customers all thinking this is in their best interest. If format wars make the CE aspect an instant race to the bottom, they are going to run away and hide the next time new technology comes out.

I could not disagree more. Which ever side "wins" will make millions / billions on royalties on each player an each piece of media. The DVD Forum has made a vast fortune on royalties for DVD. The reason that this sale is good is that hopefully it will bring a quicker close to this "war" and declare one format a winner going forward. Remember DVD-A and SACD? The DVD

Forum came up with a format called DVD-Audio, but Sony went its own way

with Super Audio CD. In the end, neither format sold, digital

distribution gained legitimacy and iTunes sent DVD-Audio and SACD to the grave.