Headphones now available for purchase!

Amy

Hi,

I've been impatiently waiting for the Custom3s to arrive. Yesterday I got an e-mail with a great introductory offer, but of course the Custom 3s aren't available yet. I would like to know if the Custom3 has better SQ than the Image3? SQ is the only factor I care about, but if the Image3 is the same, I would like to take advantage of this offer. Otherwise, I will hold off until the Custom3 arrives. I thought I remember the Custom3 having a MSRP of $299, and the Image3 has a MSRP of $349. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret it later, although I'm itchng to pull the trigger right now. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Happy Motoring!

Tony

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yes, the Custom-3s are sonically superior. The IMAGE are a more elegant, simple, convenient solution, and are more geared to listeners with more....for lack of a better word...."refined" tastes in music. Jazz, classical, classic rock, etc...not really the loud boomy rock hip-hop solution. I'd go with Custom-3 for that.

A word about the Custom models.... They do take time (and patience) to achieve a proper fit. You have to get the angle and tip-size just right, and also bend the wire around your ear properly once you have the angle. Also make sure the oval tip is positioned correctly (since it is an oval and not round), so it's not as simple as the IMAGE. But once you find the right fit, they are amazingly comfortable and the bass will knock your socks off-- and you'll be able to easily fit them again and again once you figure it out that first time.

So if you order a Custom, don't give up easily thinking they aren't comfy or sound good! Chances are, you just need to tweak a bit. Give us a call if you have any questions or problems....

Professor Thump, how do the Image compare to Etymotics' ER4P's? This is a really good discount on the Image, but my first choice was the Custom-3s. I have the ER4Ps and the Image seems so simular.

I have made a pact that I will not dis the competition. We are all in this together making better music each year. But when it comes to the ER4P's this is a highly respected model that has stood the test of time as a single armature. When you compare them the first thing you will notice is that the IMAGE is much smaller in diameter...by almost 50%. This means that small ears will have a better chance of a perfect fit.

Mead Killion from Etymotic (pronounced with a long "o" as in the word "mode") has developed the ER4P to be flat to the ear with a 5 dB rolloff in the HF. This is to emulate a speaker in a room with carpeting. Mr. Killion is one of the most respected people in the audiology community, and well deserved of that respect. When you make sonic comparisons you will notice that IMAGE has a higher bass response than the ER4P. That was intended. In fact we had to work real hard to get the LF to perform the way we wanted in such a small armature. It was already difficult to make the KG926 and we had to make it more complicated. For my ears the IMAGE is more balanced in real world use. Most people will get a partial seal on IE headphones. It may be a 75% seal or more like a 95% seal, but there will most likely be a small leak. People are going to hear less bass when they have an ear leak, thus we decided to make sure that the PM's didn't sound too bright.

Everyone will experience In Ear sound differently due to their anatomy. Some will wear the earphones deeper than others in their ear canal which will give a different user experience. The volume of air in your ear canal will change the response of the earphone slightly. Depending on how the ear tip sits in your ear you will get a totally different response on the top end. Lots of things can change your musical experience. But each design does have distinct characteristics that you can't ignore. This is similar to comparing different rooms with the same speakers. The speakers will sound different in each room but still have those artifacts of sound due to their design.

The best thing I can say is try IMAGE. I think you will like it or your money back in 30 days. Isn't that the deal Amy?

Just stick it!

I think you will like it.

No Professor Thump, It's not my intent for you to dis the ER4Ps', I have a pair and I love them. I call them by my own pet name "Sweet Etys'" (pronounced eties). No my question was based more on the diffrences in sound signatures? As you know the ER4Ps are well respected around PM community, How do the Image and the Etys differ in sound signatures? I truly am thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair, but I just didn't want to have two simular sounding PMs'.Also in the Images' picture, it is hard to gauge their size. Maybe a picture along side of a coin would help us understand it's size.

Thanks,

AudioAdrenaline

I'd long ago determined I would get in-ear monitors of some kind and was all set to get some Ety's. Then I saw THE announcement, so my ship has come in. I am so tired of my Sennheiser 'sound cancelling' headphones...more like 'distortion-generating' if you ask me. The things hurt my big head. This will help my disposition on my 2-3x/yr. trips to the Dark Continent.