Dolby true HD and DTS HD

CopperPot

Hi all,

I have an Oppo BDP83 Blu ray player on order. It decodes DDTrueHD and DTS Master lossless internally. It is my understanding that although my Yamaha RX-V2700 does not decode the HD audio formats (DDtrueHD and DTS master lossles)...it will accept the core / MPCM via HDMI. Is this as good?

Anyone have experience with similar??

As long as your receiver accepts multi-channel PCM over HDMI the results will be the same as if your player was bitstreaming the audio to your receiver and your receiver was decoding it.

• Like 1

I thought the receiver or amp had to be True HD sound capable? Does a ps3 qualify? Thanks

No, the receiver does not have to be True HD capable. All you need is enough external inputs to accept the analog 5.1/7.1 hand-off from the BD player (if it has them).

There's three ways to get the HD audio from a Blu-Ray player/receiver:

1) Bitstream the audio through HDMI to a receiver that can decode the lossless format.

2) Use the Blu-Ray player's 5.1/7.1 analog outputs and connect them to a receiver's 5.1/7.1 analog inputs.

3) Send Multi-channel PCM over HDMI to a receiver that can decode it.

Hi all,

I have an Oppo BDP83 Blu ray player on order. It decodes DDTrueHD and DTS Master lossless internally. It is my understanding that although my Yamaha RX-V2700 does not decode the HD audio formats (DDtrueHD and DTS master lossles)...it will accept the core / MPCM via HDMI. Is this as good?

Anyone have experience with similar??

Thanks!!

Mike

I just got the Oppo BDP83, and yet via RCA plugs (8 of them for 7.1) run into my Denon 5803, I can hear the DD HD and the DTS HD signal.

You should be all set. The picture is amazing with my Samsung 55 8000 LED TV fed by the HDMI, but just for video. Good luck.

• Moderators

There's three ways to get the HD audio from a Blu-Ray player/receiver:

1) Bitstream the audio through HDMI to a receiver that can decode the lossless format.

2) Use the Blu-Ray player's 5.1/7.1 analog outputs and connect them to a receiver's 5.1/7.1 analog inputs.

3) Send Multi-channel PCM over HDMI to a receiver that can decode it.

Just to clarify what Wuzzer said in # 3, if your player is decoding the data and sending it via PCM over HDMI to your receiver, the receiver does not have to have the lossless formats since the player has already decoded it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification Youthman. One thing to keep in mind is that just because a receiver or pre-amp has HDMI inputs that doesn't mean that it can handle Multi-Channel PCM. In fact, some only handle the video from HDMI and no audio at all!

My Marantz SR7001 does not itself decode HD audio formats but it does accept MCPCM so I have my PS3 set to Linear PCM and as a result I am hearing the HD audio signal.

• Moderators

One thing to keep in mind is that just because a receiver or pre-amp has HDMI inputs that doesn't mean that it can handle Multi-Channel PCM.

Isn't that the case if a receiver is not HDMI 1.3? If I remember correctly, previous versions of HDMI only carried HD video, no audio.

This is a great way to learn, kinda like how "Iron sharpens iron". Using each of our experiences to learn from each other. Love this forum.