Subwoofer Rattle

ergo25

Hi,

First of all, let me say that I've been quite happy with my Klipsch 2.1s. They were my first foray into good audio and I still consider them a quite respectable little system. No real problems beyond a mildly noisy potentiometer for the first 5 years.

However, after 6+ years of music and movies, the sub woofer has started to develop a distinct rattle on low effects in movies. From the testing that I have done, the rattle seems to be nearly inaudible above 100 Hz but as soon as the signal dips down bellow about 70 Hz it becomes quite noticeable. Around 50 Hz the rattle is louder than the direct sound. Though audible at all volume levels, the amount of rattle seems to increase exponentially with higher volumes. I have confirmed that the rattling is coming from the subwoofer and not anything in the room. I've tried some exterior dampening (blue tack, weight on top of speaker, changing the coupling with the floor etc.) but that hasn't really made any noticeable difference. Also as far as I can tell there are no airleaks or other forms of external damage to the enclosure. It is hard to localize the rattle inside the sub woofer but it seems like the rattle is coming from the side firing speaker.

Does anyone have any advice on what may be causing this and how to stop it? What trouble shooting steps should I take? I'm fairly proficient at speaker work (just finished a set of Fostex FE127 monitors for example) so I'd be willing to crack it open and do a bit of repair work myself but I'd like a better sense of what may be causing this before I take it to that step. (Also is there a walkthrough for the disassembly process out there?)

Honestly, after 6 years of loyal and sometimes hard service, something may have simply worn out but I have a bit of sentimental attachment to this set (they've been with me since college after all) and would love to try to keep them up and running.

Thanks in advance.

If the sub itself were loose in the mounting - it would be more of a buzz than a rattle, but check that. Also check to make sure none of the wires are touching the cone... but what you are describing otherwise sounds like the voice coil is bottoming out... just being driven too far for too long. Time for a new driver, or set. There is only so much pounding those units can take. :)

But sure to take the time to break in the new driver or system before really hammering it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, I'm Tony in Spring, Tx. I wonder if you could tell me how to remove the back cover on myPromedia 2.1 subwoofer. I am having a problem with no sound from my right speaker. I read in another forum that someone with the same problem had replaced some fuses (2) inside the sub and that had solved the problem. When I picked up my sub to remove it from my computer I heard a rattle coming from inside like a small screw or other loose inside there. I've removed the eight outer screws from the cover and it still won't budge. Thanks..Tony

Hello, I'm Tony in Spring, Tx. I wonder if you could tell me how to remove the back cover on myPromedia 2.1 subwoofer. I am having a problem with no sound from my right speaker. I read in another forum that someone with the same problem had replaced some fuses (2) inside the sub and that had solved the problem. When I picked up my sub to remove it from my computer I heard a rattle coming from inside like a small screw or other loose inside there. I've removed the eight outer screws from the cover and it still won't budge. Thanks..Tony

it should come straight out, it may be sticking around the panel but with those screws all out, it should come off fairly easily. be careful not to smack any of the components when it does come out since all the internals are attached to that panel. also, remember to unplug the unit for a full minute before opening.