RSW-15 to RT-12d

--udson

I have an upgrade itch. I've always been half happy with the RSW-15. I don't know if it's my setup and settings, but often it seems to have more of a muddy one note rumble than deep and tight performance with lots of range. Does that make sense? Does anyone know if the RT-12d provides a worthwhile upgrade?

Your best bet is to go out a demo one, then you can make direct comparisons to your RSW. There are things that you can tweek on the RSW though to smooth its response. Like crossover point, volume level, phase, room position, preamp sub level, etc. That could make it sound better to you.

That said it is reported despite what the specs say that there is not much usable response below 30Hz (real world performance), a local friend of mine has one and it sounds fabulous to me paired with his Cornwalls/Altec 511's.

If you're hearing "muddy one note rumble" from an RSW it's because of room acoustics and/or placement not the sub itself. The RT-12 is very similar in sound and if you place it where the RSW is it will probably sound the same. (I've heard and had them both.) But on the RT you can run the room calibration and that may tame some of the room acoustic problems and improve the sound. It helped in my room. A cheaper alternative would be to move your RSW around and see if you can find a location that lets it sound better to you. But if you're stuck with that location for the sub or you just want an "upgrade" the RT is very nice.

I can't help but point out that the majority of a sub's performance is dictated by the acoustics of the room.

If you get the chance, try walking around the room while you've got

some bass heavy music playing. You should notice spots in the room

where there seems to be no bass at all, while in other positions (like

the corners) there will be more bass than you can handle. The reason

for this has to do with standing waves in the room - which you can

learn more about by doing a google search on "room modes". Here's a

really good article if you want to get more into the nitty gritty:

http://www.rpginc.com/cgi-bin/byteserver.pl/news/library/PS_AcD.pdf

This article touches on the concept of room modes too, but is concentrating on the concept of using more than one subwoofer:

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

As far as moving to the RT-12d...one thing you might benefit from is

the fancy ARC feature. While I'll never support the notion that EQ can

fix acoustics problems, it can certainly be used to reduce their

impact. The RSW-15 will always play louder and lower than the RT-12d

simply because it's a larger cabinet and has way more cone surface

area. One thing that's interesting about the ARC is that you can use it

with other existing subs too....so if you moved to the RT-12d, you

could use both it and the RSW-15 together and take advantage of

whatever all it is that the ARC does.

Anyways, before spending money on band-aid features, I would see if you

couldn't achieve better results by moving the sub and listening

position around first. After that, you might look into some acoustical

treatments, but if that's not an option then purchasing another sub and

putting it in a different position in the room might yield some

positive benefits - though it could yield some negative ones too - it

all depends on how well everything is implemented.

I thank it has a lot to do with placement of the sub. The RSW-15 is a better sub then the RT-12b. Look at the numbers.[8-|]

I disagree, numbers tell you one aspect, the rt-12d is capable and it can be placed in places the rsw15 can't be, its more waf, etc that it can be justified on more basis that just numbers

I thank it has a lot to do with placement of the sub. The RSW-15 is a better sub then the RT-12b. Look at the numbers.[8-|]

I disagree, numbers tell you one aspect, the rt-12d is capable and it can be placed in places the rsw15 can't be, its more waf, etc that it can be justified on more basis that just numbers

The RT-12d is made for the corner and the RSW-15 can be put on any wall. The RSW-15 has three times power.

The RT-12d is made for the corner and the RSW-15 can be put on any wall. The RSW-15 has three times power.

actually you can place it anywhere, why does that need to be put in the corner? three times the power says whom?

..actually you can place it anywhere, why does that need to be put in the corner? three times the power says whom?

The RT-12d doesn't have 3 times the power of the RSW-15. On page 2 of the manual it says it's better to place it in the corner for the best results. Fwiw it's also better to put the RSW 15 in the corner as well.

I think getting a RT-12d in addition to the RSW 15 would be awesome, but I for one wouldn't consider replacing the RSW-15. YMMV.

actually you can place it anywhere, why does that need to be put in the corner? three times the power says whom?

Says whom? Klipsch Thats whom. READ the numbers.

RT-12d = 800w continuous, 2000w peak

RSW-15 = 650w continuous, 2400w peak

The rest of their specs are VERY similar.

Either one should rock the house and both should be articulate subs, not muddy or boomy as the OP described. If either is muddy/boomy then there may be a placement issue or the subwoofer needs to be calibrated. I think there is a very good chance the OP runs his too 'hot'.