Reference 7 vs. RF-83 system

--udson

[udson"]

Does anyone know how these system stack up? Anyone move from one to the other? I am thinking of upgrading, and wonder if I shouldn't slowly replace them with Ultras. I feel like I should upgrade my receiver first though, which is a lowly Yamaha RXV-2500...

Where are you located in MI? There are a few of us on the forums-Davison, Burton, Bay City, Perry, Grand Rapids, Allen Park, Birmingham...

David

It's not that I am not happy with them, I just don't feel as thrilled with them as I would like. Half the time I know the source is just not good (TV, some dvds). The setup shines with Blue Ray movies. But I find if I turn it up to enjoy, it's just a bit harsh, and the sound seems to change. I don't know if that's the receiver/settings, setup, or just my ears...or hey maybe it's the typical complaint of inherent "harshness" on Klipsch I never wanted to believe.

When it sounds good, without going too loud, it really does sound good. When not, things just sound "thin", brittle, not enough mids, not smooth enough, and muddy sub action - which I admit I have not nearly played enough with.

I am virtually all about movies, btw. But I dig music at times, not to mention in movies.

P.S. If I want to sell, I guess here is a good place to start. Those Ultras sure do look nice.
I am outside of Grand Ledge, btw, in a hugely small town :) We just moved back from Florida. Brrrr.

I would bet that most of your harshness is due to the reciever and sound environment.

get a seperate amp or better reciever and make sure hardwood floors are carpeted and windows are curtained.

i used to run mine form a denon 3805 ( a good reciever), and even the new 4308 (even better), now that I have my seperate 2 channel amp just for the rf-7s, it's night and day.

the bass shakes my whole room and I don't even have a subwoofer.

I also feel it's your receiver. I ran several Klipsch HT's with Yamaha AVRs (RXV 793/795/800) and was happy until I moved a particular setup into a larger room where I couldn't get it loud enough without it becoming bright. I found a deal on a Denon AVR 3803 and was amazed at the difference compared to the similar spec'd Yamaha Rxv 800.

Here is a thread I started after using a Denon AVR 4802R and having to switch to a Denon AVR 3805 in the interim while waiting for my AVR 4806:

I didn't resurrect it because I am completely satisfied with my Denon THX Ultra II AVR 4806 and don't feel the need for anything else. I have heard the RF-83 HT a couple of times, as well as the THX system and they both sounded great. Suffice it to say if I liked either one better, it would be the Home Theater I would own. [H] YMMV.

The RF-83's are a lot smoother in the mids relative to the RF-7. The Ultra2 system is, in my opinion, even more neutral than the RF-83's, but you'll need some stereo subwoofage to balance out the sound stage. Those KW-120's really rock (though I'd go with another RSW-15 first since you already have one).

Nevertheless, I would argue that you'll notice rather similar sound between the RF-7, RF-83, and Ultra2. They certainly have their differences, but are all voiced in a similar manner and sound very similar once you start comparing against different options.

If you really want to step things up a notch, then you should check out the Heritage line. Upgrading to Lascala II's would be a huge leap in performance, though you'd need to double up on subwoofage in order to keep up. If you want to go another step further, then you should check out the Jubilee, which shares it's history in both high-end home audio and pro cinema.

Aesthetics start to become an issue when you start going bigger, but bigger is absolutely the key towards better sound (no, it's not just a crazy manly testosterone thing...it's just how the physics works out).

Upgrading your amplification wouldn't hurt though - if you end up going that route, then be sure to go with separates. Many of the Yamaha receivers have pretty good analog pre-outs on them so all you'd really need to do is purchase some quality amplification. RF-7's (and RF-83's) are difficult loads to drive and will benefit greatly from amps with gobs of damping.

Thanks so much for the help, guys. It sounds like it's everything but the speakers =)

I think I will look at a new receiver. This is 3.5 years old, I think I can justify it. For the new bells and whistles too. The Denon line sounds like a popular one. I have to look more closely at the specs and get up to speed a bit. Still 140w, and I was hoping for more power maybe. Does a seperate amp really make the difference? Would you not want to power the center/sub too? I know nothing about this. I also wish I could find two HDMI out...

I moved from a small 15x10 room to a 16x44 furnished basement. It sounds better in here than it did before. The floors are carpeted (vs wood in old room), and the couch and chairs take up some waves too. I will try to get a pic posted of the setup. Maybe I need treatments too, and to solve a space issue.

What's a crossover upgrade about?

Tkdamerica, thanks for the link, I will definitely go for a read. Are there any other receivers I should be looking at? And I would not know the first thing about getting a seperate amp...

BTW, I should mention I demo'd top of the line Polk, Paradigm, and Infinity I think, before picking up the Klipsch. I auditioned the R7 line before anything else, and nothing else came close to how awesome that first demo was. I went back after the rest, and it confirmed it for me...the Ref 7's were just the best experience by far to me. When I think back to that day, I just know I don't have them working like they should...

Dr Who, thanks for the long post. Interesting to hear about a similar sound. I guess that can be expected, and it's a jump in quality rather than a change as you say. I don't know anything about those other lines you mentioned but I would guess they're hugely expensive for me. But I'll have to look =). I don't care how big speakers are, nor do I wish for ear splitting stuff. I just want thick and detailed sound. But a pant leg rattle or two doesn't hurt...

If I can fix this with power and setup, that would be great...

You could get a pair of Lascala II for about $4500? I forget. The Jubilee is gonna run you right around the cost of the Khorn ($7500?). There is always the used market though where you can find lascalas for under a grand.

One thing that crossed my mind....do you have your RF-7's set to small? If not, try that and see if the bass and mids don't clear up.

I can relate to your experience. First, really good advice you have gotten here. I bought new 7's & had Dean do the crossovers, money well spent, made very good spks even better. They were driven by what's in my sig. At volume I still had "thinness". I replaced them with heritage spks & i'm very happy.

I will be driving fairly close to you (depending on how far off the expressway you are) on November 20th and would be happy to allow you the use of a separate amplifier for the day if you'd like to hear one in your own home. I have three that you could listen to: B&K Reference 200.2; B&K ST125.2 and a Parasound HCA-1000. Let me know if you're interested. I would be over that way in the morning and back in the late evening. Heck, I have a B&K Reference 30 preamp that you could play with too, if you're wanting to really have a party. You need to hear the RF-7s with separate amplification before you get rid of them...

-David

I will be driving fairly close to you (depending on how far off the expressway you are) on November 20th and would be happy to allow you the use of a separate amplifier for the day if you'd like to hear one in your own home. I have three that you could listen to: B&K Reference 200.2; B&K ST125.2 and a Parasound HCA-1000. Let me know if you're interested. I would be over that way in the morning and back in the late evening. Heck, I have a B&K Reference 30 preamp that you could play with too, if you're wanting to really have a party. You need to hear the RF-7s with separate amplification before you get rid of them...

-David

Very generous offer for sure.....the B&K(including the ref30),sub and a good source will be impressive.

David, that is super generous. I would love to do that. I live 20 miles off 96 though. Maybe we could arrange a weekend sometime. I'd need help from you anyway in getting things set up I imagine. We can talk about this in PM if you want.

Gonna have to research seperates...never had anything but a receiver.

Your receiver is a toy....time to upgrade to a beefier set-up. My RF-7's with DG's crossovers are powered by 320+watts via a Cinenova Grande 7 amp. Before this, my RF-7's sounded like bookshelf speakers. They may be efficient but do need as much power as you can afford. Get yourself a decent pre/pro....an Outlaw 990 is mucho bang for the buck...best I have heard. And don't waste your money on a Klipsch sub. Try a SVS product...just about anything in their line will suffice. Bottom line: don't give up your 7's, you'll just have more of the same. And separates are the only way to go to bring your Klipsch up to their potential.

Goodl luck@!