Thebes Panty Waist Thread, cont. (big pics for MC)

garymd

Here's what I think:

Really old 60s stuff like Umma Gumma era - Best ever pressed by a long shot. For me, these songs were worth the price of admission.

DSOTM - Better than any vinyl I've ever heard although I'm guessing the MFSL UHQR pressing would probably top it easily. I prefer this version to the regular MFSL or the 200 gram Anniversary Issue.

Wish You Were Here - I think the CBS Half Speed Mastersound beats it out by a good margin. Some may disagree but I like the detail of the 1/2 speed pressing and there's a lot of cool sound effects on that LP (The Machine for example). It just seems more crisp if you know what I mean.

Animals - Best version by far that I've heard. I have a mint Japanese pressing that pales in comparison.

Meddle - Can't say. I never listen to that LP.

The Wall - I prefer the Japanese pressing but not by much. Seems a little more detailed. It's close though. I'm guessing this one would be a matter of taste.

I don't know why they waited 6 years to release this set on vinyl (CD version came out in '01). It's a great "Best Of" set with lots of excellent selections and they mix things up nicely. It's pressed in Holland and is still on the shelves at Elusive Disc or Acoustic Sounds for $59.99.

post-11821-13819349688856_thumb.jpg

Did you get that backup copy yet? [;)]

I came this close to opening the Pop Pop today. I am dying to hear what that album sounds like and am just going to bite the bullet tomorrow. I see maybe one of these a month on eBay and they always go for 3-figures whether sealed or not.

Can't thank you enough bro for getting me that album. Will update you tomorrow...

Mike

Did you get that backup copy yet? [;)]

I came this close to opening the Pop Pop today. I am dying to hear what that album sounds like and am just going to bite the bullet tomorrow. I see maybe one of these a month on eBay and they always go for 3-figures whether sealed or not.

Can't thank you enough bro for getting me that album. Will update you tomorrow...

Mike

Dude - If I knew you weren't going to open it, I would have just ebayed it myself! That album was the reason I overpayed for the other 9 in the lot!!

If it isn't open by tomorrow...................[:@] I want pictures too!!

And no, I didn't get a spare of Echoes. Not one I thought would be of great value years from now. Also, those 45 RPM Blue Notes come out beginning this month and I'm on the Music Matters list for 63 low serial numbered copies. That's $100/month plus shipping for the next 3 years or so!

Gary es más macho que Lloyd Bridges

I searched this morning and found a sealed version of one of my old heroes- Ian Hunter (with fab hair)- All American Alien Boy.

When I get a decent turntable operational- it too will have it's plastic wrap shredded!

Michael (thanks for the pix [:D]) Colter

Gary,

I can't wait to hear the new 45 Blue's, are you just getting the Music Matters releases, or also going for the others on AP? I was on the list with MM, but had not heard anything until this week from them so I placed my preorder with Elusive for the first ones. I'm saving shipping and I'm hoping there is no difference in sound from #1 to 2500. I just hope they are not delayed, nice Thanksgiving spinning I hope.

Joe

Here's what I think:

Really old 60s stuff like Umma Gumma era - Best ever pressed by a long shot. For me, these songs were worth the price of admission.

DSOTM - Better than any vinyl I've ever heard although I'm guessing the MFSL UHQR pressing would probably top it easily. I prefer this version to the regular MFSL or the 200 gram Anniversary Issue.

Wish You Were Here - I think the CBS Half Speed Mastersound beats it out by a good margin. Some may disagree but I like the detail of the 1/2 speed pressing and there's a lot of cool sound effects on that LP (The Machine for example). It just seems more crisp if you know what I mean.

Animals - Best version by far that I've heard. I have a mint Japanese pressing that pales in comparison.

The Wall - I prefer the Japanese pressing but not by much. Seems a little more detailed. It's close though. I'm guessing this one would be a matter of taste.

I don't know why they waited 6 years to release this set on vinyl (CD version came out in '01). It's a great "Best Of" set with lots of excellent selections and they mix things up nicely. It's pressed in Holland and is still on the shelves at Elusive Disc or Acoustic Sounds for $59.99.

Gary are you endorsing this set as one I must, or should have? I happen to love Pink Floyd.

Jay

Joe,

The other issue is that MM only has certain titles. I've already preordered one from Elusive Disc because I really want Grant Green's Idle Moments and MM doesn't have that title. I doubt there will be any difference in sound although some people will tell you that the lower the number, the better the pressing which is why those test pressings always sound so good. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing them. I've been listening to a lot of my Japanese Blue Notes lately and they really sound good on my Khorn system.

Here's what I think:

Gary are you endorsing this set as one I must, or should have? I happen to love Pink Floyd.

Jay

Well Jay, I can't tell you how to spend your money but I think this set is a must for PF fans. It's a pretty good deal at $15 per record I think.

Yea, that's another reason I pulled my name from the MM list, I knew I would also pick some of the AP one's up also. Since both series are being done by the same people, I'm assuming they they will both be of high quality. I was afraid to ask Ron what number I was assigned on the subscription list, my luck I gave up a real low number!! I will most likley get the same number of albums as a subscription, but like you will pull some on the non-MM titles and not take all the MM.

Joe

The best DSOTM by a long long way is, funnily enough , the Greek version produced by EMIAL (Greek division of EMI).

Its a long story as to why but in essence the record was produced by UK recording engineers over here as the division had just been setup. It was done from the original master tapes - by accident immediately after the UK orginial version was produced. The big difference, however, in production between the UK original and the Greek version was that all the machines were brand new and the production quantity was very small.

Couple of years ago you could pick up Greek versions of the record for almost nothing - now they are rarer than hen's teeth. We did a side by side analysis of about 9 different country's versions of DSOTM in ACA one bright day. The Greek one bested the lot - including the 200gram audiophile versions which were produced much later and seemingly once the original tapes had started to deteriorate.

It was funny with the audiophile version. One member called whilst we were testing and we told him that it had just been murdered by the Greek version. He didn't beleive a word of it and came straight round with his copy. Needless to say he was gutted when he heard the Greek one.

BTW - the best Animals, by contrast is the US version. Knocks spots of the UK version - no idea why....

Interesting Max. I had no idea. I was never a big fan of the 200 gram version. I actually gave my copy away.

As far as Animals, I have a US copy and a Japanese. The Japanese copy is quite expensive and has cool stickers and inserts but sounds pretty thin and lifeless IMO. I was extremely disappointed when it arrived. The US copy is decent but can't compare to this new one. Unfortunately, only a couple cuts are on it from each LP. Maybe someone like Analogue Productions will release an Audiophile version at some point (if they haven't already??). That's one I'd definitely buy.

Edit: About once a year I sit down and listen to the entire DSOTM album. When I do, my preference is the SACD in 2-channel on my Cornwall system. That album needs the chest-rattling bass that the Corns give so nicely. Sometimes I even turn on the sub.

Well, I finally broke the seal on my Echoes box set last night.

You're going to regret having done that. :| Although it does look like a re-seal anyhow.

I still have my factory sealed copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Well, I finally broke the seal on my Echoes box set last night.

You're going to regret having done that. :| Although it does look like a re-seal anyhow.

I still have my factory sealed copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder.

I guess the Dutch don't have the latest in plastic album sealing technology ;) I'd say you're right but they are still available at all the on-line stores. If you think it's a good one to keep sealed, you might want to order a few copies. For $600 you could get 10 box sets. You never know. They could be worth thousands on Ebay 20 years from now. Maybe millions!!