Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Nov. 12

thebes

Just a brief pause in our musical endeavors to pay tribute to those fine men and women who have served our country, many times at the most terrible cost. We salute you.

As I've related before, I'm working my way through a substantial cache of minty lps, most purchased in the 1980's so bear with me if I seem somewhat stuck in some sort of genre or time. There are some real gems in this collection including this week's nominee:

Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, "Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars", jam/rock, lp

Known primarily for their hit song "What I Am", which is on this lp, these guys have some serious musical chops, excellent guitar playing, superb drums. great songwriting and in Edie, a singing voice often imitated but almost never equaled. Super recording values by Geffen records.

So what do you have to share this week?

Sony Classical Essential Classics CD Compelation, costed me 10 Euro for 5 CD´s. A nice compelation of well and lesser known classical pieces, each cd a different theme. Nice for someone who would like an introduction into classics.

On CD 3 song 3 is one of my favorites, Toccata und Fugue in d-Moll. This piece really works your system. I was happily supprised at the quality, I could even hear the faint sounds of the valves opening in the background.

For those of you who do not know this piece (who dosent?!) here is a good rendition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pY08e_tdtA

Ran

Made a trip into Best buy last week to pick-up this DVD, they had it for $11.98, cheap in today's overpriced market. Not one disc, but two, the second being their set at Live-Aid, remember, 13 July 85, long ago ....... wow, very long ago ...... This disc covers their 1980-1981 World Tour, which I was lucky enough to see an opening date ealier in the tour ........ So here we go ...............

QUEEN Rock Montreal and Live Aid ...................... 1981-1985 ................. DVD ........... Digitally restored picture ... DTS sound .....

This is basically the same show I saw in Glens Falls, N.Y. the main exception, the opening song, it was "Jailhouse Rock" in Glens Falls with Freddie decked out in Black Leather. He had me the minute he started singing, what a performer. I don't care what his sexual preferences were, this guy was a Born Frontman, always the showman, and he could sing. This was a Raw Queen Tour, bare-bones, not alot of flash, big light show, just the Band, and Freddie. This disc is no different, just a good, hardworking, professional Band singing their songs, playing their instruments, and giving the fans a great show. The picture quality is GOOD, I find the sound quailty EXCELLENT, a good set of discs, although the second disc is only 43 minutes long, that's fine, the first one runs about 95 minutes. All the Great Queen songs are here, remember, this is when "the Game" had been releashed, and this tour supported that album, in my opinion, this was their PEAK, I feel from this point on, their career went downhill. Granted they did make a couple of good albums later, but this was it, Queen had reached the top, there was no place else to go. As you watch this, you begin to realize just four God-gifted musicians are bringing Queen's music to life, no tricks, no hidden band behind stage, just four guys making Magic. This is a truly Great Rock Band, and these disc's are worthy of the Queen name, a pleasure for fans, and a good look at the band for people who aren't fans. I am very happy with this set, and I'm glad I bought it.

I find the second disc to be a bonus+ ........... They were one of the best acts at Live-Aid, and I kinda' always wanted a good copy of that set. I had it on VHS ... non-stereo ... so you can understand why I wanted it ................ equipment has come along way in 20+ years .............. picture is good, again, sound is great. Wow, what an inexpensive way to visit an old band. I find myself likin' these Music DVD's more and more ........ Bottom Line, this is a Top Notch disc, even if you have to pay top price, it's still worth it ................ Get this Set .............. See how good Freddie and the Lads were .............. Great Drummer ......... "God Save The Queen"...... Indeed !!!!!!!!

Sony Classical Essential Classics CD Compelation, costed me 10 Euro for 5 CD´s. A nice compelation of well and lesser known classical pieces, each cd a different theme. Nice for someone who would like an introduction into classics.

On CD 3 song 3 is one of my favorites, Toccata und Fugue in d-Moll. This piece really works your system. I was happily supprised at the quality, I could even hear the faint sounds of the valves opening in the background.

For those of you who do not know this piece (who dosent?!) here is a good rendition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pY08e_tdtA

Ran

Cool suggestion. Thanks for participating Ran.

I haven't participated in a while, but I just got back from a Trip to Western Russia. After hearing all the beautiful male vocal music in the Orthodox Cathedrals, I ordered a CD from Amazon, and I am totally enthralled.

The Male Choir of St. Petersburg--Vadim Afanasiev Conductor

The music is completely acapella, as is all music in the Russian Orthodox Church.

EMI Classics "Debut Label" 1999.

This CD is 69 minutes long, and features 20 gorgeous Russian tracks. The choir is 25 men, 4 of whom are "Bassi Profundi" They regularly sing solos down to the G below Low C.

"The Twelve Brigands"--Track 3 is my fav...

I saw a live band Saturday night called MAN MAN. It was amazing very high energy carnival like atmosphere on stage. Their sound was eastern european, Mystic Knights, early chili peppers, a bit tribal, with a touch of psychedelia thrown in for good measure. The band doesn't take breaks or play encores instead the show builds and builds on the intensity of their songs until the audience dam near explodes. I haven't seen an audience that into the music in a very long time borderline riot. Their instruments were interesting anything they beat on was far game for percusion a Rhodes Piano, Clavinet, MicroKorg, Euphonium, Fender Jazz Bass, Danelectro Guitar, Xylophone, Melodica, Science and various percussive instruments.

Catch them live if you can. They are also touring in the Spring.

ov 19 2007 8:00P

Satellite Ballroom Charlottesville, Virginia

Nov 30 2007 7:00P

State Theater Kalamazoo, Michigan

Dec 1 2007 7:00P

Masonic Temple Detroit, Michigan

Dec 2 2007 7:00P

Congress Theater Chicago, Illinois

Dec 3 2007 7:00P

The Orpheum Theater Minneapolis, Minnesota

I saw Gogol Bordello two years ago Haloween weekend and it was a killer show aslo I have their CDs which are great. It is hard to get the live feel to CD but some bands can do both. Couldn't remember there name when I was thinking who Man Man reminded me of. I have to say Man Man are much more intense live. The live clips just don't capture the sound or enviroment very well. Can't wait to see them in the spring. If your interested in a sampler CD send me pm with mailing instructions.