Problem With Klipschorns and SET Amp Could Use Some Help

Old-Tube-Sound

Thanks to all who have replied, looks like I have alot options here to try out...First off let me start out by saying this home brew amp is not a poor design it was well thought out and sounds better than anything I have ever heard bar none.

I take it you have confirmed this spectacular sound on some other speaker?

Craig

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your correct, they are the same type tubes that Josh Stippich uses but without the space age chassis. I built the amp but the design in large part was by my good friend Grant Gassman and anyone whos a builder knows the genius of Grant when it comes to building exotic SET amps. In responce to listening to the amp on other speaks, yes I have listened to this amp on a pair of Lowther DX4's, and like I said in my first posting this amp smokes anything I have ever heard, but Lowther speaks are very expensive and I would much rather keep my beautiful Khorns and do what ever it takes to get them to hand shake with my amp at higher volumes.

come on folks, 6 watts is plenty of power.

I have 130 watt tube amp, 100 watt tube amp, 35 watt tube amp, 130 watt SS amp, and a 160 watt SS amp and in most cases...I rarely approach 1 watt peak...including when the system is powered up on the first floor and we are vacuming the rugs on the thrid floor.

Check this one out I built for a good friend of mine this past summer..Eimac 75TL outputs driven by extremely rare 1930's Telefunken RS241 DHT's and a 83 rectifier all built on a solid copper chassis that I designed and punched out myself...This is a mac daddy SET amp if there ever was one.

Your amp has plenty of power. I have been using a 45 SET amp now for about 4 years with Khorn Bass Bins and Altec Mid Range. - Have you owned a 45 amp before? They are bliss to me.

Never have heard a 45..I've heard 300b, 2A3, 10Y, RV218, GM70 and all sound good but never had the opportunity to hear a 45 amp. Responding to long wall, My audio room is 15 x 30 so putting the horns on the long wall would not work out unfortunately. Responding to ALK's Al built the ones I have, I think I might try switching back to my AA crossovers and see if that makes a difference.

Never have heard a 45..I've heard 300b, 2A3, 10Y, RV218, GM70 and all sound good but never had the opportunity to hear a 45 amp. Responding to long wall, My audio room is 15 x 30 so putting the horns on the long wall would not work out unfortunately. Responding to ALK's Al built the ones I have, I think I might try switching back to my AA crossovers and see if that makes a difference.

Why would you think that putting the Khorns on the 30 foot wall would not work? - I have heard Khorns in a room like this and they sounded excellent.

Seek out a 45 amp sometime. - That is the tube they used in Jukeboxes and Table Radios - Made for Audio!

"Why would you think that putting the Khorns on the 30 foot wall would not work? - I have heard Khorns in a room like this and they sounded excellent."

Domestic environments often contain furniture, and it may be that the desired or necessary room decor in this situation prevents your proposition. Note his use of the word "unfortunately." However, our K-horns are about 20 feet apart, with the short wall being approximately 16 feet. I don't think I would want the speakers further apart than they are unless our shorter wall happened to be longer than it is.

Have you installed the stock Klipsch crossovers yet?

Are your Khorn Bass cabinets still 100% original? If so the bass is never going to sound great with the speakers out of the corner.

Craig

Thats what I was thinking as well when I saw them out of the corners and no sign of a false corner anything present. But then again I'm just a noobie, so who knows.[:P]

Please, please, please put those KHorns snug into the corners!

The horizontal portion (on top of the bass bin) must be tight against the wall. Even better, seal this with pipe foam (search the threads). You will also get an improvement if they are located along a longer wall and it is best to have the cabinet facing directly at or near the listener (on axis).

The alternative would be to enclose the backs (search threads) or construct false corners (many, many threads with different design options). Right now, these appear to be out of the corner and you are truly cheating yourself. At this point with the cabinets out of the corner, issues of amplifier selection are the last thing to worry about.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Please, please, please put those KHorns snug into the corners!

The horizontal portion (on top of the bass bin) must be tight against the wall. Even better, seal this with pipe foam (search the threads). You will also get an improvement if they are located along a longer wall and it is best to have the cabinet facing directly at or near the listener (on axis).

The alternative would be to enclose the backs (search threads) or construct false corners (many, many threads with different design options). Right now, these appear to be out of the corner and you are truly cheating yourself. At this point with the cabinets out of the corner, issues of amplifier selection are the last thing to worry about.

Good Luck,

-Tom

So, Tom...

Help me with this!

Why would a 6W amp of whatever topology have trouble driving what is essentially a LF rear firing direct radiator (ie, not a horn) with sufficient gain to keep up with a horn loaded mid and HF driver?

It seems to me, based upon many previous claims heretofore presented over the years, that if you just went with new caps, higher slope passive crossovers and an all tube signal chain that you could overcome any problems presented by this scenario.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while!

Thanks all!!! [:P][:D][:P][:D]

"....

So, Tom...

Help me with this!

Why would a 6W amp of whatever topology have trouble driving what is essentially a LF rear firing direct radiator (ie, not a horn) with sufficient gain to keep up with a horn loaded mid and HF driver?

It seems to me, based upon many previous claims heretofore presented over the years, that if you just went with new caps, higher slope passive crossovers and an all tube signal chain that you could overcome any problems presented by this scenario.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while!

Thanks all!!! Stick out tongueBig SmileStick out tongueBig Smile

..."

---------------------------------------------------

MAS, I have a small brain so I don't know all the ins & outs of the argument. But as I understand things, in order for the caps to solve all problems, they must have a designer label on them and cost a considerable amount of money.

Someday I will figure it out,

-Tom