Preamp Buzz/Hum

Tony Reed

Tony PM me for my address and just send it along. I'm not one of these electronic wizards you see here but I can probably get it running and then we can see if you want to do a recap.

Of course if I send it back to you with some leftover parts don't be suprised. [:D]

Tony's Hafler pre showed up today. Did the basics first, checked wires, cleaned the pots etc. Found one loose lead to a cap so I resoldered that and plugged it in.

Big honking buzz regardless of volume or balance so across both channels. First step, checked the diodes in the power supply. Normal. Then I simply desoldered the four polarized caps in the power supply since I had the originals from my own Hafler rebuild. Installed them and...

Wallah she works!

The damamge was hidden from the nekkid eye by the circuit board but easy to see what was wrong once they were desoldered. The bad one is on the right in the pic and has a brownish almost burnt looking divot where one the lead was attached to the can.

Sometimes not knowing what you are doing and practicing a little part substitution actually works!

post-14801-13819354185914_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

I guess the question remains for you Tony is weather you want to upgrade this pre with better capacitors (I'm thinking the Dayton film and foils) for, I think, about $60 in parts (no labor of course). If this is giong to be in steady use as part of a main, or often used secondary system, I would say bite the bullet. The voltage values are way overkill but the from what I understand getting the electrolytics out of there will make it sound better. The 1000 uf's in the power supply will still be elctrolytics but I can run a 1uf poly or metal across them to smooth things out a little.

By the way, our own Mike BSE2a3 was my advisor on my own rebuild and certainly knows his stuff.

For what these Hafler's are, which is a budget kit built ss pre, they sound surprisingly good even unrestored. But you still will have that SS grain/steel flavor even after the upgrade. I did like the improvement in mine after I did it.

If not, I think I should head over to the rat shack and at least replace the power supply caps and in a few other places, with new electrolytics (which is all they carry) for probably $10 to $15.

Well in that case the caps I put into it should do you just fine.

It'll go out to you tomorrow or Tuesday. Shipings my treat so just toss a couple of cans of food into your local food bank collection box as recompensense.

Well in that case the caps I put into it should do you just fine.

It'll go out to you tomorrow or Tuesday. Shipings my treat so just toss a couple of cans of food into your local food bank collection box as recompensense.

thebes,

I'll be happy to do that, but you deserve something for your trouble. What can I do for you?

Tony