Alive!

DRBILL

As Mark Twain wrote, "The report of my demise has been greatly exaggerated." Actually, I have been completely overtaken with the restoration of vintage radios. I just finished a Hallicrafters SX-24 (1939, just like me!) and had a breather before I start the next radio. I haven't lost interest in quality audio, and some of that spills over to the radio bench. The '38 Zenith that is my personal radio has transformer coupled push-pull 6L6s. Now that just cries out for an update. It consisted of a 15" Jenson in a bass reflex enclosure (bottom of the radio case), a horn mid/tweet, L/C crossover and a Hammond output transformer. It is virtually indistinguishable from FM. The purists would have a black mass over that. But it is my radio and I like to listen to it, and I like for it to be pleasing to the ear. I like to believe that I have done what Zenith would have done if they had had the technology.

I'll try to check in more often.

DRBILL

Bill,

Glad to know you are still vertical!

Another forum friend and I were just talking about you in the last week. We were thinking it would be nice to have a central Arkansas gathering and hoping it would be at a time when you could come, too. It would be great to hear some reflections on your friendship with Mr. Paul.