24 bit technology

DRBILL

I was interested in hearing one of the new 24 bit CDs. I selected Bradley Welch Plays at Broadway Baptist (LRCD 1084).

Here we have the largest French-style organ in the world, built by Casavant Freres, Limitee (the firm that I worked for as a youth). It is in a spacious acoustical environment (although it does have a couple of boomy places in midrange). Bradley Welch was the winner of the 2003 Dallas International Organ Competition. And all of this recorded in the new 24bit system. What more could you ask?!

For starters, we might have asked to hear something musical! It was pure mud for 68 minutes and 40 seconds. Layer upon layer of thick contrapuntal putty assaulted the ears as the Klipschorns quaked and groaned in misery.

I’ll be glad to pass this around in case any of you would like to give it a spin. As for me, I would like to hear one of the new 24 bit CDs. Any suggestions?

DRBILL

Agree with you about that recording. Wish you could hear the recording I did of Bradley at the dedication of our instrument at Annunciation, Lewisville. I found that instrument about to be scrapped at Redeemer, Sarasota and got it for less than the price of the tin in the pipes. Anyway, it has classic Skinner strings to die for. Dan Garland, who is a fine organ builder with a tendency to bury his instruments (Me to Dan on this project: If you bury this one I will bury you!) did a fine job with it. Coupling to the extraordinary acoustics of Annunciation is nearly perfect. Hear it if you can.

I proposed a 24 bit surround project to Bradley, but he was already under contract by then...(sigh).

I am at work in a haze of bits and bytes at the moment, but two fine examples of 24 bit come come to mind: The "Harvest Home" Dale Warland singers from the same catalog, and Linn Records Dunedin "Messiah," which is, IMOH, the finest I've ever heard. You can download it from their website.

Dave

Dave,

The Skinner strings have a secret that is almost too simple to be believeable. A one-pipe taper! It is almost too small to be detected by the eye unless you are looking for it. Calipers reveal it all. The top of a C will be the same diameter as a C# measured at the languid. Dan is a decent organbuilder. In this part of the country, the layman's yard-stick is still the WurLitzer at the Palace Theatre. The organ man is hobbled before the contract is signed.

I'll check out your suggestions. I remember your praise of 24 bit and wanted to give it a try.

FrBill

(Sorry about the format mess! See note at end.) I did not know that about Skinner strings. I know they have a reputation similar to Strad, and the sound is extraordinary. AAMOF, an organ tuner in his 70's (at least) wandered into the church one day I was there just prior to consecration and asked about the instrument. I took him to the loft and opened it up for him and went on about my business of setting mics and such. He'd gone straight for the Skinners and I stepped up and asked what he thought. He turned around and there were tears in his eyes as he said "OH!, those magnificent Skinner strings!" As to Dan, I'd have had reservations about him as builder. I know he is capable, but the two of his works I'd heard were both buried. One was the big Presby church near TCU and another, I think, I Campbellite church of similar size and wealth. Both marvelous instruments of true polyphonic range, but also buried. However, he certainly is far better than average at tonal direction. We chose Murphy of Philadelphia to do the actual rebuild and Frank Fremel (just off doing the case for the new Roman cathedral in LA) to design and execute the showcase. I specified the chamber...double two inch plywood braced so as to be totally stiff. All that energy transmitted to the AIR, like God intended. No pipe more than about 15 feet from the opening. The orginal instrument was a Skinner>Moller>McManis (two major and several minor rebuilds/augmentations) orginally installed at Redeemer, Sarasota in the 40's and 57 stops by the time I found it. I'll post a few pics if you're interested. Remember there is considerable debate about whether there are any merits to higher sample size or rate if the delivery is at lower. I've determined that I cannot tell the difference by recording from a single feed to one ADC at 16/44.1 and another at 24/88.2 simultaneously on several occasions. There is certainly NO doubt the 24/88.2 sounds better, but if that is reduced to CD rates and A/B'd with the one recorded that way to start with, I can't hear a difference real or imagined. If you want to sample REAL 24/88.2 or 96 in the raw, hie thee to Linn Records and download a few gig. These recordings transcend anything (including vinyl) I've ever heard. The Dunedin Consort Messiah does so both artistically AND technically, and the rest of their high res stuff all excels as well. It is Linn that gives me hope for the future of recorded music.Dave Memorial Pipe Organ, Church of the Annunciation, Lewisville, TX (Tonal Direction by Dan Garland, Case by Frank Fremel, Rebuild by Patrick Murphy, Philadelphia) (including Choir and Solo to be completed later)Great 16’ Gemshorn 8’ Principal 8’ Rohrflute 8’ Gemshorn 4’ Octave 4’ Nachthorn 4’ Gemshorn 2 2/3’ Quint 2’ Octave 1 3/5’ Terz IV Mixture 8’ Trumpet 8’ Cromorne Tremolo Swell16’ Gedeckt 8’ Geigen Principal 8’ Gedackt 8’ Viola 8’ Viola Celeste 4’ Principal 4’ Blockflute 2’ Octave 2’ Flute IV Mixture 16’ Bassoon 8’ Trompette 8’ Hautbois 4’ Clarion 8’ Vox Humana Choir 8’ Gedeckt 8’ Flute Celeste II 4’ Principal 4’ Koppelflute 2 2/3’ Nazard 2’ Piccolo 1 3/5’ Tierce 8’ Clarinet Tremolo Solo8’ Open Diapason 8’ Harmonic Flute 8’ Gamba 8’ Gamba Celeste 4’ Hohlflute 8’ English Horn 16’Tr. en Chamade 8’ Tr.en Chamade 4’ Tr. en Chamade Pedal 32’ Subbass- digital 16’ Open Diap. (Prep) 16’ Principal 16’ Subbass 16’ Gamba (prep.) 16’ Gemshorn 16’ Gedeckt 10 2/3’ Quinte 8’ Octave 8’ Subbass 8’ Gemshorn 8’ Still Gedacktis 4’ Octave 4’ Nachthorn 4’ Gemshorn 2’ Nachthorn III Mixture 32’ C Posaune- digital 16’ Posaune 16’ Bassoon 8’ Trumpet 8’ Hautbois 4’ Hautbois PS-Anybody know what is up with formating on the Forum???? Line returns and such don't seem to be taking. I cleaned this up a bit in HTML, but what a pain!