Old Klipsch ProMedia v2-400's subwoofer acting weird.

ant

Hello!

For some reason, I get too much bass or too little even though I haven't touched the computer's volume mixer (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS) and speaker volume controls.

With very little bass, I noticed if I turn my subwoofer from its lowest setting a little higher, then I feel a lot of bass for a second. Does the speaker have limit controller or something? I checked the cables behind the subwoofer, and they seems fine.

I wonder if my old speaker set is dying (time for a new speaker set). I have had it since December 1999. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, then how did you fix it?

Thank you in advance. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As of last night, it looks like my subwoofer is getting worse. Now, it can't play low frequency bass very well (do still feel and hear a little of those oomphs). I tried a MacBook Pro and same bass problem. I unplugged all the speakers, including the one with control pod, and I still heard the subwoofer rattling badly inside, and little bass. :( If I turn down/off bass on my soundcard, then I do not hear this loud and annoying rattling. I checked all the cables. I did notice if I wiggle the power cable behind the subwoofer, it makes noises. Is that normal?

I think it is time to find a new speaker set. I looked at my local retail stores for Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers (realized I don't really need four or more speakers), but no one seems to have them like Best Buy. What's up with that? :(

Do I have to go to another brand like Cambridge Soundworks (are they any good today?)? :(

Thank you in advance. :)

• Like 1

Well, to me it sounds like you may have blown the voice coil or there might be a seperation behind the cone of the speaker, if that is the case just replace the speaker itself and problem solved, but I can't guarantee that is your problem and I am not affiliated with Klipsch. But if you don't need 4 speakers you can always buy the 2.1 system direct from Klipsch.com and they can have it to your door within a week using there standard free shipping service. and if you do go down that road, let me know as you may have parts on your 4.1 system that I would be willing to buy off of you. I do not reccomend buying your Klipsch 2.1 setup from ebay or other online venues since alot of what I repair are from customers who buy from these places and also if you buy direct from klipsch then it won't be a hassle "if" you have a problem with your system within a year since that is what they warranty them for.

I messed up in my original post and fixed it. I unplugged ALL speakers and left subwoofer to do some bass part when playing THX, music, etc. It rattlings badly with some low frequencies. :(

Do any local retail stores (e.g., Costco, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Best Buy) still sell 2.1 speakers because I can't find any! I don't do online ordering.

Also how good is 2.1 speakers compared to the old v2-400 model? I recall people having problems of them dying fast. The only two problems I had were the noisy volume control (got used to it) and subwoofer starting to act up with its old age.

• Like 1

I do not know of what sotres carry them in stock anymore, I am sure that some do but I do not know off hand. And as far as online ordering goes, you can also order from them over the phone at 1-800-klipsch. Now as far as how they compare, very well, they are basically the same thing but I think the 2.1's sub has a cleaner more natural bass sound but it does not thump as hard as the 4.1's or v.2-400's do and distorts easier at higher volumes, so you have to eq the systmer properlly to your taste. but right out of the box they sound great and pump harder than the bose do, (which I also love). I am actually working on putting together my own version of the 2.1 system using better drivers than the stock klispch drivers but until I do I can't say if it is sucessful or not. But I will know soon and once I do I will have them listed for sale.

Wait, they lowered the thumping/bass in the 2.1 one? That's not cool. I love the v2-400 because of its bass. I didn't even have to crank it up much either! I don't play loud to hear my ears, but I do love the shakings! ;)

Hmm, I think it is time to move on. :( I wonder how Cambridge Soundworks are.

• Like 1

Well, the 2.1 is still a very good system and the bass is still plenty! but you can obviocsly go ut and look to see what else is out there, now with that being said, I used to love Cambridge Soundworks, but I just got a set of there multimedia speakers a few months back, they are 2.0 computer type (not sure of the model) and I was very disappointed with them. my top (2) favorites right now is Klipsch and Bose. No one else really compares in my book. Although Creative is making some nice ones as well. check them out at http://us.creative.com/products/feature.asp?category=4&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8861

Well, with anything you have good and bad. Klipsch, Bose, Cambridge, Polk, etc. no different. I have heard some bose systems that have not impressed me at all, but I recently purchased a Bose Companion 3 series ll set, and they are very nice sounding. I would put them head to head with the klipsch. but as they are also $100 more than the klipsch, I would say that klipsch has more bang for the buck.

Interesting. Since I cannot find a Klipsch brand, I might get Bose even though it costs more. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7933748&st=Bose+Companion+3+series+II&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1152228083992 seems to have high ratings and have it in my local store so I can look and listen to it! However, it is too late today and I want to research more. Any more feedbacks are welcomed.

• Like 1

Yes, those are the same that I use in my shop right now, you should like them, as I said, they sound great, I think the klipsch are capable of getting a little louder than these bose, but if you do most of your listening at a moderate to low volume, then these are awesome speakers. and at $225, that is a pretty good price, I bought mine for the $250 that they regularly sell for and I am not disappointed. if they have them setup at the store, then give them a listen, hell, listen to every single setup they have, and go from there, lol.

I noticed Bose Companion 3 Series II 2.1's bass control is in the rear of the subwoofer. What's with that? I put my Klipsch ProMedia subwoofer on the floor. I can't imagine having to adjust the bass a lot like that. Does the control pod have one? I don't see one.

• Like 1

no, the control pod does not have the control on it, all the control pod does is adjust the volume, mute, and it has a headphone jack as well as a secondary input jack, the control for the subwoofer is located in the rear, just leave the knob in the default location and you should be all set or once you have found a good spot where you like it you should never have to adjust it after that, but it would be nice to have an easier to access control for it. You will love the size of the Bose compared to the Klipsch though, they give the appearance of much more desk space because they are so small, and they are also appealing to look at.

I do like the tiny speaker sizes. I hope I will like the control. Also, no power button like Klipsch's speakers, right? I just unplug its power or turn off the power strip for that part. ;)

I remember these Klispch ProMedia are THX certified. I assume Bose isn't since I don't see any mentioned. Does that matter these days?

• Like 1

Nope, no comments there, i have never seen or heard them in person before and I am not sure of the process that it takes to be "THX Certified" But I have hear someone else somewhere in this forum talking about the new line of Creative speakers being good. I am certainly interested in hearing them.