Fireplace Mount

endover

I'll try this one in the architecture area but it doesn't get near the traffic as Home Theatre does.

My choice is to either drill into my fireplace to mount my 50" flat screen (haven't picked one out yet) or buy a ceiling mount and mount it from the rafters in the attic. If I go the ceiling mount option (which sounds easiest at this point), the single hanging bar will be right in the way of where I want my center channel. My floor-to-ceiling fireplace is one of those prefabricated jobby's with large rough stones all over the face of it and mortar between them. If I drill into the face, how do I find the studs since a studfinder won't work thru the 2" thick stones????? Another option would be to put up a large rough hewn timber as a mantel and just set the TV on that but I'm back to having to drill into the fireplace. Any help or suggestions???

There are anchors made that can securely hold something to stone, just don't ever plan on removing them. I don't know of any easy way to find studs behind stone or brick unless you know their spacing and where the first one is.

Wouldn't mounting your plasma above the fire place put it rather high for viewing? I know personally I wouldn't want to look up at the TV watching a movie.

I have a 50" plasma mounted above my fireplace and love it. If you have moderate size fires in your fireplace

there should be very little heat up above the mantel.

My fireplace has 1/2" face brick which I used a stud finder to locate the studs. I drilled a small pilot hole

to verify that I was located in front of a stud before drilling a larger hole for the lag bolt.

In your case I would drill small pilot holes to locate the studs but drill the pilot holes where the plasma

bracket will coverup the pilot holes.

• Moderators

Build a fire & place a thermometer where you want to hang the plasma. Most likely you will be fine.

Arky I really like you, BUT you are not the best person to give advice on installing any TV, except on the stand designed by the manufacture ! [;)]

Build a fire & place a thermometer where you want to hang the plasma. Most likely you will be fine.

Arky I really like you, BUT you are not the best person to give advice on installing any TV, except on the stand designed by the manufacture ! Wink

Ahh the irony of it. I knew when I posted that one of my good buddy's would smack me.
The hell of it is, I went & bought a stud finder & we missed by an inch. I've got a new 50" Panny sitting in it's styrofoam on my hearth right now waiting on the mount to show up. Beautiful plasma.

Wouldn't mounting your plasma above the fire place put it rather high for viewing? I know personally I wouldn't want to look up at the TV watching a movie.

I share this concern. Do you have any options as to where this goes? If so, have you spent some time sitting and looking up at that space for an extended period to see if it will be comfortable?

Okay Arky,

You can't post pic's like that and not give us the story. What happened?

...and for the rest... I have built a fire. I have put a thermometer there. It's below 90. I live in Florida so having a fire in your fireplace is like going surfing when you live in Colorado...it could happen but not very often. In the mean time, the fireplace wall is the focal point of the room and most importantly...if the plasma goes on another wall, that less room for my wife to have furniture and we know who wins that argument. I will be purchasing the TV and temproarily watch it in various places in the room loooong before I mount it above the fireplace but it's waaaaay too convenient to put it there. I also agree...that if it's angled down properly that it won't be such a neck inconvenience...

Great input though. Keep it coming. I'm probably going to wait until superbowl timeframe before making my purchase. I'm waiting for a couple of models to come into the $2500 price range...